General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got yelled at by a Road Admiral

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:32 PM
bdgreen
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got yelled at by a Road Admiral

I've got a group of friends I like to ride with. Usually 12 - 15 bikes at the most. We don't block or stop traffic so we can stay together. We just adjust the speed up front so those in the rear can join back up or pull over in a safe spot if the gap gets too big. I've thought about riding in larger groups but I don't feel comfortable with a lot of riders I'm not familiar with.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:46 PM
PoleCat
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: HammerheadSSN663

Groups....

Neeeevvvveeerrrr heard of em myself.

-Lone Wolf

I ride in a group once in a while . . . I rather enjoy it.

But every now and then, we'll get some oddball with a bee in his bonnet who want's to run things like a **** concentration camp. More than once I've broken out of the group and gone on my own. It's usually a safe and enjoyable way to ride . . . but you gotta know what you're doing or you can get everyone killed/hurt/pissed.

I look at groups the same way I do politics and religion . . . I know what I believe, and I'll let you do your thing. Once you show me you're a wierdo . . . I'm gone.

Cheers!

Old 10-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Dixie Rider
Cruiser

Don't much care for large groups myself. Mostly because of the different experience of all the riders. some riders aren't up to the speed and try to keep up and then have an incident. On my forever last group ride a metric rider on a new bike in front of me went into the ditch, luckily for me I was watching him and saw he was trouble and backed off. Also the riders around me get too close and leave me no room. I have found two riding partners.. we suit each others habits and styles. Just how I feel on the subject.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Pathfinder
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Tactical1

I was coming home from registering/insuring the new - to me- RKC.

I was humming along the 15 heading north when I see a group of bikes getting on the on-ramp. The group was comprised of about 10 bikes. The head guy/admiral/captain merged ahead of me as I was in the fast lane and he in #1 lane. I moved over to #3 lane and sped up a little. The admiral in his flourescent crossing guard vest moved over into #2 and I started moving up so I would not merge into their group.

As I got next to the admiral he looked over with a ticked off look[:@] and gestered with his left hand to "get to the back now"[:@]

Huh?

Im not even in their group. He honked and gestered to get back. I shrugged my shoulders and kept going.

He might've mistaken me for a rider in his group.

IF the sweep rider had been doing his job, he would have known if you were in his group or not. He probably thought you wanted to merge with them, or came late to the ride and were catching up to the group.

You've got to look out for everybody in the group, but it can be done in a courteous manner. We had a large ride last spring to a children's hospital and somhow ended up with 4 strays who intended on riding a poker run that was leaving the same dealership at about the same time. They must have thought we were riding the poker run as a group. First of all, we are always courteous to guest riders and let them ride along without even knowing who they were. (Who screwed up here?) Well, they rode like a bunch of monkeys chasin' a banana. Switchin' spots in formation, trying to ride parade (side by side), tailgating, the works. They got a little encouragement to stay in formation by the sweep.
Finally about a hour into the ride, they figured out that we weren't the poker run and turned around. Double DUH!

Their sweeo probably had a case of mistaken identity.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:44 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I think riding in a group adds to the exhileration of riding. A tighter riding group, two abreast is a lot of sound to get pumped up on, but I know the rules now say ya can't run like that. Some Steppenwolf on the HK cranked up is a nice touch.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 PM
capn_buzzcut
Advanced

I've got a few close friends that I've ridden with for years now, and we're all very comfortable around each other. Riding in our small group of 4 or 5, I know that I can do just about anything without worrying that sombody's gonna crash into me. Outside our tight-knit group, I don't trust guys riding too close to me, so I generally avoid poker runs and such. There are just far too many so-called "bikers" out there that really can't ride worth a ****.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Unamed
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so good looking traffic stops for me.

Serious tho he probably thought you were in the group or something. But he should have been paying attention so that he would know you wernt.

When i ride sweep i will not let straglers into the formation, I will let them follow me but i am not responsible for them. You have to focus on the group you are riding with. Thats not to say i wouldnt stop to help ANY scoot. But I will not be the guy who let the drunk guy into the pack that causes a crash.

On the Emily Keyes ride up here I ran traffic blocker for a group coming down from the fort. Everyone knew exactly what we were doing and didnt mind stopping to let our pack of 100 go through at all. all I heard out of the cages i stopped that day was "God Bless You" and "How many bikes? You guys are awsome."

Course I did pull up to one intersection where a motor cop was running radar. I started to block and then changed my mind with him there. He got off his bike and blocked for us tho, lol.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 PM
aleykat271
1st Gear

Group riding is Ok once in awhile,and even then I ride in the back to keep away from the domino effect.I like riding by myself most of the time,and meet my friends at the local watering holes,or meet new friends!Is'nt that what riding's all about!!! As far as the Road Admiral,you should of told him he was#1....

Old 10-16-2006, 08:12 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

road captiains are usually Hitler acting dudes who cant get the job done at home

Old 10-16-2006, 09:29 PM
fatdave
Advanced

Don't do big groups. 3 or 4 bikes at most. Too many things can go wrong. I've seen one guy screw up and take out 1/2 dozen of his buddies at the same time. Plus there's always some a$$hole who thinks he needs to run the show. He's special because he's the "leader" mindset. Tell me where we're going and I'll meet you there. Also won't hesitate to tell the A$$hole to go #uck himself. Guess I just don't fit in.

Quick Reply: Got yelled at by a Road Admiral