General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Brake Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
Not legal in VA. Just have to reset them to nonflash mode prior to getting state inspection. Screwy law IMHO.
Where did you obtain that information? I ask because I've had my bike inspected at 5 different locations all of which are motorcycle dealerships. Four HD and one BMW dealer. One HD dealer says my set up will not pass due to the brake light setup and it cannot have a module to make it flash. The BMW dealer says they are not supposed to pass but the inspector says in his opinion, anything that increases visibility and make you safer is okay, hence the safety inspection. The other 3 HD locations haven't said anything about it. It would be nice if the requirement were applied equally at all inspection stations.

I also looked here: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...19VAC30-70-360 and didn't see anything about flashing brake lights.

I have the Kuryakyn flashing brake light module which causes the brake light and both signals to flash red about 5 seconds and then they stay on. The signals flash amber when activated.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
I don't understand why someone would pay to have a their brake light blink x number of times prior to coming on steady when they can do this theirselves...for free...and use the savings for more fuel.
put two bikes next to each other, one with a stock taillight & one with a BAL-1. Stand behind them (even quite a distance away) and have someone activate the brake lights. Then tell us again which you choose.

As for savings, I figure I'm saving a BUNCH by not getting rear-ended! The BAL-1 is cheaper than my deductible.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by FatJohn
Just installed LED brake and signal lights on my bike. Love the look.

Brake light has the option to flash a couple of times before going steady. Seems like a good attention getter - but is it legal?
Probably just as legal as the pipes you have. Remember loud pipes and flashing bright taillights save lives.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
I don't understand why someone would pay to have a their brake light blink x number of times prior to coming on steady when they can do this theirselves...for free...and use the savings for more fuel.
Originally Posted by Ghosteh
put two bikes next to each other, one with a stock taillight & one with a BAL-1. Stand behind them (even quite a distance away) and have someone activate the brake lights. Then tell us again which you choose.

As for savings, I figure I'm saving a BUNCH by not getting rear-ended! The BAL-1 is cheaper than my deductible.
+1 Not to mention fully applied emergency braking. The seconds you add by pulsing your brakes to manually flash your brake light, increases your odds of hitting what you're trying to avoid.
I'm guessing the lack of understanding has more to do with "arctics" riding experience in Northern Canada vs/ the experiences of those that ride pretty much anywhere else...

Last edited by clicker01; 03-16-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:52 AM
DMacLeod
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the kuryakyn module on mine and had no problem getting a sticker. They do get your attention.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:57 AM
DMacLeod
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy install to, plug and play. There is a switch so it can be shut off or turned on easily.

Attached Thumbnails Flashing Brake Legal?-seat2.jpg  
Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
No different than just pumping the brake. Dont see why it would be illegal.
+1 I was thinking the same thing.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 701 Posts

I have the Panacea on my bike and it flashes and the turn signals are in the tail light. No turn signal bar.