General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Brake Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
FatJohn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glebo
Here ya go AMA state law map. Pretty good info...
Cool but, if I'm not blind, nothing there about flashing brake lights.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
mo1775
Advanced

I have a habit of manually flashing my breaks before slowing down. It’s a good attention getter. It was recommended to do so in all the safety classes i took.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Its the internet, very few things can't be answered by using google..

Not all the states have the same laws so Ur only gonna get what others do in their state..

thinking either google or make a call to Local LE's and ask. It won't take U any longer to look it up than me.

Here.. found this one in here..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ke-lights.html

Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought a pretty cool harness plug in from the local dealer. Nothing flashes but the turn signals are constantly lit and glow brighter when you activate the turn switch or the brake. My wife followed me home the other day and said they really make the bike easier to see.

The harness just plugs into the turn signal harness under the seat...took about five minutes to install.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:11 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Talldog
BAL-1 for me, I'll take a chance on getting a ticket for better visability.
Same here.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So...explain the difference between the brake light flashing a couple of times 'automatically' and the brake light flashing a couple of times 'manually' and why the 'automatic' flashing would possibly be illegal.
Seems like a 'no-brainer' to me.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 PM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master

Well if someone gets you thinking it's illegal just say you tap your brakes before you start to slow down.

It makes sense though because a flashing brake light should get more attention from someone behind you than just a brake light coming on steady right off the bat. Has to be a reason why Formula 1 cars have the blinking light on the back instead of it coming on steady.

Also I would think to be able to sell the product that has a function that's not legal they would have to put some kind of disclaimer saying that the feature isn't legal on public roads.

Last edited by SouthernGuy8503; 03-14-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 PM
charlie496
6th Gear

Who cares if their legal or not?! Most cops ride, or have seen enough "accidents" that if you explain its a safety concern they would understand and tell you to be safe have a good day. I have 2 cousins and 2 uncles that are officers, they and other officers say unless you are riding like an ******* they don't mess with H-D riders.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
So...explain the difference between the brake light flashing a couple of times 'automatically' and the brake light flashing a couple of times 'manually' and why the 'automatic' flashing would possibly be illegal.
Seems like a 'no-brainer' to me.
My BAL-1 brake light is set to rapid flash 3 times twice then remain steady. Got pulled over by FL State Trooper last June for running red light that wouldn't change for me, later beat in court. Trooper mentioned my brake light was illegal since I could be mistaken for a LEO, (on a Super Glide???). He also mentioned my rear reflector was missing since I went with a Kury Lay Down Curve plate holder.

I wasn't cited for the brake light or the missing rear reflector. Other LEO's have complimented my BAL-1 brake light recently. Sometimes the laws are slow to catch up with technology that benefits riders/drivers.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 AM
FatJohn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SouthernGuy8503
Has to be a reason why Formula 1 cars have the blinking light on the back instead of it coming on steady.
Formula 1 cars don't have brake lights - only a rain light that on for "wet" races. I think it blinks when the pit speed limiter is on too - but it's not a brake light.

Quick Reply: Flashing Brake Legal?