General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife got out on the road yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 793 Likes on 386 Posts
Default The wife got out on the road yesterday!

I finally convinced her to leave the neighborhood street and get out on the road. She did good and had more fun than she thought she would. We've got to work on communication some. We were in a left turn lane and she was on my right, a car asked her if they could get in fron of us to turn and she said yes. The problem was that she didn't let me know and when the light turned green, I started to roll and this car was coming over on me. I just about dropped it trying to shut it down while this toothless twit is saying "she said I could come over". I said a few choice words to her and she left. My wife felt bad because she saw first hand what noncommuniucation between riders can do. I told her not to worry about it, we'll work on it. Baby steps.

All in all, I'm VERY proud of her for tackeling her fears and getting out there. I remember my first time! Now the next step will be to get her out on a bigger road and get her used to higher (65) speeds and how her bike reacts to the wind. Wish me luck. lol

Last edited by tas_todd; 03-13-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

she will be popin wheelies in no time

Tell her to keep at it.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM
tamezi
6th Gear

For a bike to bike comunication, I prefer the chatter box radios, longer range comunication between bikes (or groups)
If soneone on a car on the same tour, they can use any handy motorola radios to get into the talk)
The only downside is a bit bulky
If you find something with a similar range that can be installed into the helmet and be lighter, go for it.
I think there should be similar technologies, smaller and lighter
But the guys on the group where we ride together have been using this system for so long and they say it's the best radio on the market
It has telephone, ipod connections
And can be connected to a second helmet on the same bike (passenger) with a kit and a cable , without needing to buy another radio.
For bike -bike comunication you certainly need a second radio set.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

Good for your lady. When my wife still rode I found her biggest confidence boost came from having her lead. She set the pace and choose the route - and that way I didn't have to constantly check for her in my mirrors. Made a much more relaxed ride for me too.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Royal271
Cruiser

Nice!!!! Tell her to keep it up!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey Hogger
Good for your lady. When my wife still rode I found her biggest confidence boost came from having her lead. She set the pace and choose the route - and that way I didn't have to constantly check for her in my mirrors. Made a much more relaxed ride for me too.
I couldn't agree more. I ALWAYS let my wife lead when we're riding together. Her pace, her comfort zone.....OUT happiness when we get where we're going!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Great that she's learning to ride.. Don't rush her too fast.
wondering what U were doing when she was talking to the cager.. seems if she could hear them while they were talking, why didn't U hear them also?

Alway need to set some ground rules, I did it for the wife getting on and off the bike and while riding from the start.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey Hogger
Absolutly. Gives her the feeling that you trust her to lead and makes it better on you that you dont have to keep checking the mirrors.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool ! nothing like watching the wife learn to ride , we use to practice alot in our home plan and slowly moved out into some back country roads. Every spring she rides a little around the neighborhood to get her "sea legs" back.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 PM
montanacharlie
Intermediate

Let my wife lead most of the time. And spend most of the time trying to keep up with her now! We drag quite often. She really likes goin through the gears. They do have to learn and get comfortable at there own pace but a little nudge every now and then doesn't hurt a thing.

Quick Reply: The wife got out on the road yesterday!