General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Custom exaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default American Custom exaust

I saw this in the exhaust section of the forums and checked out their web site.
These guys can either sell you new slip on's or modify your stock mufflers.
Their prices seem to good to be true.
Has anyone here he'd and experience with them?
I'd sure like to do something to deepen the growl on my new fltrx but I'n not too flush with cash right now and this seems like a good idea but I'd hate waste money on something that is cheap and won't last.
KNOWHATIMEAN?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Bombers

09 Road King - bought the "bombers" slip ons and the short mid range baffles. Sent back the OE mufflers & got the refund back. The mufflers were high quality and were a VERY inexpensive way to get that "deep Harley" growl! I found that the mid range baffles quieted the bike down to much, almost like original, and now I run the bike without any baffles.

As for the claim of no tuning mods needed (fuel injected, computer will compensate) I didn't find this to be the case. I added on a V&H Fuelpac (V&H tech support was great) and the bike runs normal. For me it was a VERY inexpexsive trial by fire method of playing around with the exhaust. Worse case scenario was minimal dollars wasted.

The dealer wanted $2500 for mufflers (V&H), a PC and dyno time. I've had more than 1 biker tell me that once the dealer screwed with the bike like that it never ran as good again and they wished they had never done it.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
The dealer wanted $2500 for mufflers (V&H), a PC and dyno time.
That price is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

no ****..

PS, i've been looking at the American Custom Exh also.. been batting around the exhaust question for a good bit now.. waiting on some pipes to get here for some cheap mods and then decide on which way to go with mufflers.. most likely go the AC route..

Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

I just put their mufflers on my 09 Softail Deluxe. I opped for the street rumble baffel that added $44 to the package. Sent my mufflers back for the core rebate and got $89 back. I spent $258 in all. I only rode around the block with them on so far. (Michigan weather). Like the new sound and people at American Custom are great.....

Trucky911

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Bldr1000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fed-ex my road king slash cuts to them (American Custom) on Thursday and had them back the next Friday. 8 day turn around. Had my other mufflers off and waiting on their arrival. In thirty minutes I had new ones installed and ran it for a little while with the deep growl sound. It was too loud for my wife so I installed the mid rumble baffles that I ordered with the pipes. It was too quite for me so I took the baffles back out and drilled additional holes in baffles. Now it sounds great. I also ordered the chrome extensions with the package, but they back ordered those for a few days. I am well pleased with the sound and the way everything was handled. I just wish I had the chrome extensions
to add that finish touch. I would do it again if given the same opportunity