General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy things dealer's say.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 AM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robotech
Agreed, there are some dumb words that come out of dealer's mouths...however, there are some dumb things that come out of customer's mouths too.

When I did car sales I had a guy come on the lot with a beat up old Pontiac Tans Sport that he was getting service work done on. He decided to look around the lot for something to trade it in on rather than fix it. I was helping him and he came across a Toyota Senna minivan he was interested in but he kept being stoic and only wanted to talk price. Hey, I get it...don't want to get taken and don't want to waist your time. I'm all for that. But I also knew he was shopping "on a whim" and it wasn't like he came here looking for a Toyota Senna.

"Okay, let me go get the keys and we can take it for a spin." I tell him.

"No, no, no!" he says somewhat aggitated. "I just want to know what's the best price you can do for me on this car!" Now my patience was wearing thin. I had been hooffing around this lot with him for about 45 minutes just trying to find him something to look at. But, of course, I have to remain professional so I come up with something that will help him see things my way.

"Well, I tell you what. What if I sell that car to you for $5 but the catch is you cannot take it for a test drive until after all the paperwork is signed." I told him.

"Well, uh, no. I'd want to drive it and see if I like it."

"Then why do you want to talk price before you even know if you want the car?" He stammered for a bit then, very quietly, told me he'd wait for me while I got the key. LOL

He bought the car. It was more than $5.

Had another customer come in looking for a brand new GMC Yukon for his family. "I currently have a 2001 (2 years old at the time) Ford Excursion with three row seating that I have on lease. I had 36,000 miles on my three year lease but the vehicle has 75,000 miles on it (at $0.10 per mile over the 36,000 added to the payoff of the vehicle) so I'm a bit upside down and I don't have any additional money to put down. I want a NEW vehicle, with three row seating, on a purchase and keep my monthly payments at under $300/month."

Now, the reason this is funny is if you do the math on a $35,000 vehicle that even with 0% financing, taking his trade out of the equasion, and and put it on a six year loan (which 0% was only available at the time on 3 year loans) it was still $486/month. To get that kind of monthly payment he'd have to find a car for $21,600...still with no trade and 0% over 72 months which couldn't be done.

On the flip side of things, I was off looking at buying a new vehicle once.

"So what are you looking for?" the salesman asks.

"Well, I'm not sure exactly." I reply "BUT, I do know I don't want a minivan and I don't want white."

I **** you not the third vehicle he shows me is a White Minivan.

And speaking of turn signal fluid...if you haven't seen this site you should...funny stuff!

http://kalecoauto.com/
I would disagree on one point. I want to know the price of the vehicle before wasting either of our times on a test drive. If the car is in my price range, then I'll see if I like how it drives. If not, we can move on.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:27 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,802 Likes on 808 Posts

Took my '11 Heritage in for the recall fix, I pointed out some rub spots on the rear fender caused by the stock passenger seat. Service writer told me it was my fault because:
1. I took the protective film off (it didn't go that far up the fender in the first place).
2. Those bikes are designed for a passenger seat and two up riding. Not having a passenger allows the seat to move around on the fender causing the scuffing (no weight to hold the seat down).

And finally...Dealer: "We're running a special on chrome front ends; $535.00 installed".
Me: "Great, I'll take one."
Dealer: "They're on backorder. Not sure when they'll be available".

Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my dealer for service, they are top notch, but this is what I got!

Service: "We have all of your parts (Friday), we will pick up your bike on Monday and we will get to work on it. It should take about a week."

Me: "Cool, so I'll probably get it back Friday or Monday (This was on Tuesday after they picked up the bike)

Service: "Yeah....Friday or Monday"

Me: "cool, I can't wait!"

I called yesterday (Thursday) to see if it was coming Friday or Monday.

Service: "We haven't started it yet, there is about 7 bikes ahead of you."

Me: "Wow...really!? I thought it was going to be tomorrow or Monday."

Service: "the weather has been nice, we got swamped on Monday."

So the moral of the story is, time lines at Harley dealers are BS. It will get done when it gets done, but don't tell me its gonna be one week and now its gonna be two weeks....maybe a little more! So its sitting at the dealer in the storage area but they insisted on picking it up on a Monday...said it would be done Friday....now its gonna be a week from Friday! Not to mention, the weather in Chicago has been perfect the last 3 days....I could have been out riding, but instead my bike is sitting for a week and they'll get to it at some point before the summer.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

The moral of the story is....buy your own tools, manual and lift and start doing your own work.

~Joe

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
The moral of the story is....buy your own tools, manual and lift and start doing your own work.

~Joe
This is true. But while I have a warranty, I want them to do all of the work....if there is an issue, its on them! Once I am out of warranty....1.5 years....I will have tools, a shop manual and a J&S jack. But to buy all of that now would be expensive....on top of the parts and stuff I want.