General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy things dealer's say.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 PM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When the mechanic did the run through on my new bike I asked him about using Mobil oil in it and he told me that using Mobil would void my warranty.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM
purevil71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only MC shop we have in my town is a Honda dealer, and I was in there one day looking for some touring tires for my bike. I have the tire sizes I need written down on a piece of paper (wasn't on my bike), service guy asked me what bike they were for, told him a H-D Street Bob and he replies that their tires only fit Honda's. I just looked at him and shook my head....

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

Salesman poking at the key fob trying to show me how to arm the security system.

"I know there's a button <five seconds later> Ah, that got it".

Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Fuji
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll give you wholesale for your trade in. But I want full retail for my used bike.

Last edited by Fuji; 03-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain
Default Craziest thing my dealer said was...

Craziest thing my dealer said was; "Sure we'll give you a loan to buy a 2011 Street Glide." These guys must smoke CRACK! I've seen my credit :/ Oh well. Purchase made. Happy me!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 PM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two incindents with my delaer.
Cracked the rear fender where the tail light sits on my street bob.
Had the clutch cable disconnect inside the tranny.
Both times I got "In my 25 year of service I have never seen that happen to a bike"
WTF is that???????

Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I've had two that come to mind. First I called and asked if I replaced the ignition switch would it screw anything up with the fancy *** anti theft system. The service writer said it would and I would have to have it reprogrammed. So I put the aftermarket switch I had bought in and hit the fob and it worked just fine and has been working fine since.

Second....Same Dealer, Same service writer. I had bought a light bar so I could mount some fog light on my Springer. In order to do it I saw that I would have to take out the lower mounting bolt for the Springer Shock absorber. I have a service Manual but was too lazy to go find it so I called and asked if there was a special tool they used for holding the compression on the shock. I was told that there was and it would be cost prohibitive to buy and he couldn't tell me what it looked like or how it worked so I could make my own. I dug out my service manual and took a look hoping they had a picture of the "Special tool".

The manual stated something to the effect that the shock has no preload and can be removed without concern of it decompressing.

I just thought of a 3rd. Went to remove my front tire. Book says to remove the axle caps with the Harley Special tool. Sooooo....I motored on over the the Dealer and asked the Service writer how much the "Special tool" cost's. He told me if he could sell me one it would cost $110.00 but he couldn't sell me one! I went over to the service bay door and asked one of the Tech's if I could have a look at one? He showed me a small strap wrench that he said he bought at Home Depot for $10.00 so I went to Home Depot and bought one.

I probably have more but that's all I can think of right now.

For those of you that are going to flame me for not just looking in the Manual.......This thread is about dumb things that Dealer employees have told people, not about dumb asses that do work without looking at the Manual.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 AM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The inaneness is insane! (Spell-checkers , have fun with that one!)

Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Went in to look at a new Deluxe this weekend. The salesman kept pushing me towards a Roadking with the 103". Asked about getting the Deluxe and having them install the 103". He told me that the 96B motor cannot take the extra torque of the 103" kit. I left after that...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

After the wrist pin bushing spun in my 2008 FLHTC, I took the parts in to the the dealer and asked what my options were. They told me to pull the crank and send the whole works to Darkhorse crank works. They will fix me up.

Quick Reply: Crazy things dealer's say.