Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet, would you or would you not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,795 Likes on 958 Posts

I guess we've had the helmet law here in California for about 20 years now. Prior to the law, I never wore a helmet...never gave it a second thought. But God forbid, you'd never catch me on my bike in a pair of shorts, or without my gloves and boots!

Fast forward to today...I'm on autopilot with regard to the helmet. I don't even think twice about it. It has gotten to the point that I would feel naked without the brain bucket...law or no law. I don't know if it's old age, common sense, or pure habit, but I would continue to wear the damn thing even if it weren't required.

For those of you living in states that don't require helmets, I support your right to choose for yourself. In the end, it's your head...and your life.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil

Speaking from personal experience, I walked away from crashing at over 100 mph .

In this debate, the facts are irrelevant. I would think anyone with an IQ over 10 and even the slightest bit of common sense would grasp that safety would lessen your injuries and possibly save your life.
In one sentence you talk about doing over 100 mph and in another you talk about common sense??? Sorry bro.... I just find that hilarious

Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

nothing to say, dont care , however this response gets my post count up,
I wanna be a road captain soon ...

Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Just curious if you're also one of those *extremely* rare people who makes *informed* decisions based on facts and reality.
My statement had a little to do with motorcycle helmets and a lot to do with being a big boy who can make up his own mind about things without the need to ask the internet whether it's okay. As far as being curious as to my motivation, I'd suggest you don't lose any sleep over it either way.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
I'm pro choice.
I LOVE that statement. In my state, it's the politicians of the traditional "pro choice" party that are against MY freedom to choose. Why don't they extend the same freedom to everyone that they promote for women so heavily?

(and I know the answer. It has to do with $$ from the insurance lobby)

Old 03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

I live in Canada and there's strict helmet laws. I wear the smallest possible helmet the law allows, or sometimes my smaller one that had the dot sticker sold separate. When I ride to the states, I cross into maine and the helmet hits the saddlebag. Is it a good idea? no, but man you have to love the wind in your hair...

Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM
FatJohn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wear a helmet. I always wear a seat-belt in the cage too. Same reasons.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Texasbrons
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Missouri with a helmet law. I wear it. Kansas has no helmet law, but when I ride with my buds over there and they shed theirs, I still wear mine. I don't preach to them and ask that they not ridicule me. Motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous regardless of the helmet. Ride at your own risk and own your decision to ride how you want. Just tell you spouse not to try to create some fictional lawsuit after the fact like cigarrette smokers have lol.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a helmet regardless of locale.

1. The Marine Corps requires it and 2. A Helmet may keep my brain intact, call me an optimist.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mandatory helmets here in Nevada. When I spend time in Arizona ( helmets optional) I ride to my destination with helmet as I have no place to put it. Once checked into my room I leave it there for local rides. Once packed up and on the road, I'm wearing it because of no available storage.

Quick Reply: Helmet, would you or would you not?