Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet, would you or would you not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
*sigh* Yup, I did. Maybe I'll try again 10 helmet threads from now, that should be sometime around noon.
well tex... I know what you are trying to say but...... how long has this forum been around? I would bet that just about EVERY possible subject has been discussed more than once here. So lets just lock out new threads and have everybody just use the search feature.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe in helmet laws, those that don't wear them let you know who are too slow to learn from others mistakes and let you avoid the idjits.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:28 PM
jbg56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in a state that requires one to wear a helmet. Once upon a time I flaunted that law at every opportunity. Then I got a job in a long term care facility and had the chance to work with several young men with TBIs that would most likely been ok had they been wearing a helmet. Now I wear a helmet all the time. No helmet is going to help you if you wipe out at 70 mph, or get run over by a truck. But slide headfirst into a telephone pole at 15 or 20 mph, and you just might be wishing you had one on.

But I also believe one should make the decision oneself, without government interference.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

What's a TBI?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 PM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wear one sometimes, but...

I wear a half helmet made of carbon fiber & kevlar sometimes. When it's really cold I wear a full faced modular thing. In between temps I wear this giant white 3/4 job (cause it's real comfortable).
That said I ride (in Florida); when it's warm with the sun shining & the breeze blowing I ride with a rag on my head.
Anyone that has ridden without can tell you it's a wonderful feeling.
I am not arguing the point. Obviously more protective gear is a smarter move... But don't let anyone tell you there isn't a difference, there is. A ride down the country back roads in the hills of Hernando County this morning (no lid) the feeling of absolute freedom is evident without the helmet, not as much with... Choose your own path.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Fuji
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a helmet because I want to. Always have since I was 16 (now 61) and there were no laws.
It is safer in a crash and has saved me a couple of times.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
I'm sorry Glidedsternfan, and I know you are new and all but... a little research with the search function would have brought you more information on other peoples opinions about EVERY single helmet issue there is in the whole universe. Including a STUNNING amount of discourse on this particular one. For all ya'll people that claim to not care what other people do and would not assume to impose their values on anyone else, why do you feel the need to tell them you think they are wrong, or even 'just plain stupid' as Scuba10jdl so politely put it? I know I am pissing into the wind here once again, but seriously, havent we had enough helmet discussions? Isin't there enough helmet threads in the archives to keep you guys who want to know other peoples opinions on all things helmet related happy for many, many hours without starting another one?
jmho
This. Agreed, so why is it that when these threads come up, it's always the "pro helmet" guys chiming in? I'm pro choice. I think MidnitEvil is a perfect example, stating facts on both sides, but still chooses not to wear one. That is what choice is about.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 03-13-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To answer the original question....it depends. Am I going to pull over the minute I cross a state line and take my helmet off? Not usually, but I have. Have I pulled over to put a helmet on before crossing a state line? Many, many times. In general, if there's not a helmet law, and I'm going to spend any amount of time in that state, I'm not going to be wearing one. I lived in a "choice" state for almost 20yrs, and never wore one. No one did. None of the guys I rode with or saw, including off-duty LEO's and firemen.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM
jbg56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
What's a TBI?
Traumatic Brain Injury. Ever see 50 First Dates with Drew Barrymore? It isn't like that at all. One guy I worked with hit a pole at about 20mph, no helmet. Can't talk, can't walk, basically a wheel chair bound vegetable. One of the milder cases I worked with was a woman who caved a car door in with her head. Looked ok, but she had to take notes of what she did, all the time. If she were to get up from the dinner table to go to the bathroom, she literally would forget to go back to the table. The really weird thing is she remembers everything that happened pre-accident, but after the accident, her short term memory is literally non-existent.

As a previous poster said, there are worse things than dying.

Quick Reply: Helmet, would you or would you not?