General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet, would you or would you not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No helmet law here in Pa. but I always wear one, grew up wearing one for motocross racing and atv riding, back when I started on street bikes Pa. did have mandatory helmet requirments, I guess I just never broke the habit.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:02 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i do think regarding the whole helmet thing is in most fatal situations the helmet probably wouldnt of made a difference anyway,if its a bad crash a helmet wont save you??

Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 AM
dfndr
Road Master

I've worn a helmet for almost 45 years. It has saved me from injury more than once. I'll always wear a helmet and usually it's a full face, except in extreme heat, if not on freeway.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glidedsternfan
In my state, Maryland, there is a helmet law, so naturally, I wear one.
When I go to other bordering states that do not have a helmet law, I still wear mine.

Would you?

Even though I wear my helmet wherever I ride, and feel that people who do not wear helmets should wear them, I would not assume to impose my values of safety and common sense upon them.
"You do you and I'll do me."
KNOWHATIMEAN?
Not no, but HELL NO. Evidently you do choose to impose on others, since you started another WORTHLESS thread about it.

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I always wear a helmet, no exceptions. I feel that everyone else should as well. It's just plain stupid not to. That being said, it's your own damn choice if you want to wear it or not, and I'm not gonna force you.

I know more than one guy who has suffered a severe concussion on their bike and would be dead if it weren't for helmets.
I know some who have died wearing one as well some who's lives were saved by them. So by all means little sheep, keep flapping your gums. Nobody is impressed. I reserve my right to choose. I have ONE shepherd, and YOU aren't Him.

Originally Posted by TXSwede
I'm sorry Glidedsternfan, and I know you are new and all but... a little research with the search function would have brought you more information on other peoples opinions about EVERY single helmet issue there is in the whole universe. Including a STUNNING amount of discourse on this particular one. For all ya'll people that claim to not care what other people do and would not assume to impose their values on anyone else, why do you feel the need to tell them you think they are wrong, or even 'just plain stupid' as Scuba10jdl so politely put it? I know I am pissing into the wind here once again, but seriously, havent we had enough helmet discussions? Isin't there enough helmet threads in the archives to keep you guys who want to know other peoples opinions on all things helmet related happy for many, many hours without starting another one?
jmho
Thankyou, well said.

Last edited by Ratster; 03-13-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by shovel13
Well you tried TX
*sigh* Yup, I did. Maybe I'll try again 10 helmet threads from now, that should be sometime around noon.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe in the right to choose. I live in NH where there is no helmet law, but because what I have personally seen working on the rescue, I have been wearing one for the last 4-5 yrs. Many of my EMT friends do not wear them, and that is their choice. My helmet is only a DOT half shell, but I feel it gives me better protection then skin.

NH State motto : Live free or Die!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 AM
whiskyls1
Tourer

Originally Posted by TXSwede
Isin't there enough helmet threads in the archives to keep you guys who want to know other peoples opinions on all things helmet related happy for many, many hours without starting another one?
jmho
Right you are! However, that also includes just about every other topic discussed here as well. While it does get old and tiresome for the folks who have been here since the beginning, or who spend lots of time here, it's really an important part of keeping a forum alive and running. Without it, the interaction between forum members would drastically drop...and so would the amount of people coming here!

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I think if you wear anything less that a FF, you are fooling yourself into thinking you're better off than with no helmet.
Seriously? Really?? It is inarguable that having some type of protection on your head is better than nothing. Think of a baseball player at bat. He basically has a 3/4 helmet on. Would he be safer with a FF helmet, of course. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit in the head with a 90mph fastball without a helmet on!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Once again.......Let Those Who Ride DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Helmet, would you or would you not?-picture-002.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

No way, have not owned a motorcycle helmet for well over 40 yrs.The wife and I avoid all states that have helmet laws.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 AM
micky
Cruiser

Surley its simple..if you feel its safer wear one if you don't want to don't but if the state imposes the choice on you then its a little bit of your freedom that's been chipped away that will start with helmets, then handlebars, then the price of alchohol, then 20mph limits and without noticing you will have walked into the nanny state that is now the UK..keep every bit of your right to decide whats best for you and not what the state dictates. The US was called ther land of the free and surley freedom has only one meaning..just a thought

Quick Reply: Helmet, would you or would you not?