General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet, would you or would you not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 145 Likes on 86 Posts

No helmet law in Utah but I have been wearing a half helmet anyway. I am now trying to get used to a FF helmet after reading that the most serious head injuries are in the chin area.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When its the law I wear one,when not when I feel like it !!!
It should be my choice whenever !!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 PM
shovel13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
I'm sorry Glidedsternfan, and I know you are new and all but... a little research with the search function would have brought you more information on other peoples opinions about EVERY single helmet issue there is in the whole universe. Including a STUNNING amount of discourse on this particular one. For all ya'll people that claim to not care what other people do and would not assume to impose their values on anyone else, why do you feel the need to tell them you think they are wrong, or even 'just plain stupid' as Scuba10jdl so politely put it? I know I am pissing into the wind here once again, but seriously, havent we had enough helmet discussions? Isin't there enough helmet threads in the archives to keep you guys who want to know other peoples opinions on all things helmet related happy for many, many hours without starting another one?
jmho

Well you tried TX

Old 03-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Elgin47
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though I live in a helmet law state, I strongly believe it should be a matter of personal choice.

That said, I choose to wear a FF all the time so it doesn't matter to me.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain

dont care, do what suits ya!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

I always wear one, even when not legally mandated to do so.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

I have worn a helmet even when passing through, and when I lived in states, that did not require a helmet . . . and in over 40 years I have never actually had need of a helmet . . . until this past week. Got in an accident here in LA on the 405 and went head first into the concrete K wall that separates the two lanes on the freeway. There was nothing voluntary about the whole thing, and there was nothing I could have done to avoid the point of contact, with or without a helmet. One moment I was on the bike, next moment I'm hitting the concrete. But, I am absolutely convinced that without a helmet I would have been DEAD or worse, and yea I do believe that there are worse ways to wind up after an accident, than checking out. Not sure about DOT helmets but was really glad this one was DOT & SNELL 2005 . . . as the replacement I bought yesterday.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:44 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Since we're throwing out opinions on this once again...

I think if you wear anything less that a FF, you are fooling yourself into thinking you're better off than with no helmet.

For the record, I used to be ATGATT, but I am now old enough to not care anymore, so, now I never wear one.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

were im from it is compulsory, i have always thought what it would be like with no helmet,having worn a helmet since i was a teen it would seem strange or naked not to have one??? i dunno

Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Repeal Machine
Stage I
Default The Repeal Machine

The helmet law debate will never end, so in that regard I agree with TXSwede. People on each side have their minds made up for the most part, so arguing the point is an academic exercise. (For the record, I decide when to wear a helmet ... regardless of the helmet law.)

That said, there is a new wrinkle in the equation.

Bikers who want to repeal the helmet law can now use a simple and effective approach. In a nutshell, we connect campaign volunteers with biker-friendly candidates. We only focus on the closest races in the state legislature, and district by district we knock nanny-crats out of office. The closer the race, the greater our impact.

This doesn't happen by itself, despite the fact that a small handful of bikers in the right district can make such a big difference. That's where the Repeal Machine comes into play. Every time you use it, you get one step closer to restoring your right to decide.

Google "Repeal Machine" and decide for yourself.

Quick Reply: Helmet, would you or would you not?