General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet, would you or would you not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 AM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in PA. No helmet law. I wear a full face. I don't need the wind, rain, stones, bugs hitting me in the face.

What doesn't make sense, a biker can choose not to wear a helmet, but seatbelts are required in a cage. That's the government for ya.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 AM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Btw, I think it's hilarious when Someone rides no helmet but straps it to the bike for crossing state lines. better protect that sissy bar..................

Old 03-15-2011, 07:05 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Repeal Machine
The helmet law debate will never end, so in that regard I agree with TXSwede. People on each side have their minds made up for the most part, so arguing the point is an academic exercise. (For the record, I decide when to wear a helmet ... regardless of the helmet law.)

That said, there is a new wrinkle in the equation.

Bikers who want to repeal the helmet law can now use a simple and effective approach. In a nutshell, we connect campaign volunteers with biker-friendly candidates. We only focus on the closest races in the state legislature, and district by district we knock nanny-crats out of office. The closer the race, the greater our impact.

This doesn't happen by itself, despite the fact that a small handful of bikers in the right district can make such a big difference. That's where the Repeal Machine comes into play. Every time you use it, you get one step closer to restoring your right to decide.

Google "Repeal Machine" and decide for yourself.
Great post!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 AM
robbieaz62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No helmet law in AZ, if you're over 18 that is. But I wear a 1/2 helmet all the time. I figure if I have to wear something on my head, be it a doorag or a hat, just to keep the blazing sun from frying my scalp I might as well wear something that offers some impact protection too. For the record I'm against helmet laws, seatbelt laws, basically all nanny state laws.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Fergal
Novice

John Wayne said it best as Hondo Lane in the movie "Hondo": "You do what you think is best."

I try to live my life this way. We all have to live life as each of us sees fit. Especially when riding.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Antihero
Advanced

I always wear a FF helmet, no matter the law

Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
skinless
Road Captain

We have a helmet law in NC. If we diddn't I would still probably wear one. Thats just me because I have a pretty gourd.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I wear mine 100% of the time...its a promise I made to my wife and family.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,895 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
..."Speed in and of itself doesn't kill"... thats like saying falling from a plane wont kill you, hitting the ground will.
The sudden stop may have more to do with it than the speed traveled. Dale Earnhart may be a good example of that. He probably would have lived to race another day...if it hadn't been for that retaining wall.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Sooo much to say. Some of it comes down to habits.

When I learned to drive I always wore a seatbelt and made everyone around me (parents mostly) wear a seatbelt. Then I got a Trans Am with the most uncomfortable seatbelt in the world. It was weird to stop wearing a seatbelt. Then later on it was weird (confining) to learn to wear a seatbelt again.

Kids now have to wear helmets when riding bicycles, etc. I would NEVER wear a helmet to ride a bicycle!!! I don't care what the dangers are, I just won't do it! It is REAL hard to made my kids wear one but I do. If (when) my kids start riding a motorcycle I have no doubt they will always wear a helmet b/c they already have to and are used to it.

I live in a state (Maryland) where I HAVE to wear a helmet. I would feel naked without it. I go into PA a lot and still wear my helmet. I goto Delaware to and still wear my helmet. Delaware BTW, says you don't have to wear a helmet BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT WITH YOU!!! How stupid is that!!!???

Now, here is my quandary: I feel waaaaay too confined in a FF. I feel less aware, less sound, less sight, etc. On top of that I have a batwing that makes a full face waaay too hot. I just can't get myself to wear a FF but I know I would be much safer. Especially considering where most impact occurs.

Quick Reply: Helmet, would you or would you not?