General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet, would you or would you not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

No helmet law in Illinois but I wear one most of the time.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allways wear one. The one I had before this one got used up in a fenderbender(well maybe a lot more than a fenderbender) I and the misses were in 3 years ago. The only injury to my head(notice I said head) was a concushion but the helmet was totaled(BIG CRACK) You know, you can ride with just about any hinderment except if ya got no brains.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a helmet and wear it when I want to or need to. The choice is mine but I am not bothered by anyones opinion on right or wrong. I believe helmets are a good idea but like seatbelts I am an adult and pay my bills so the choice should be mine.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Pmariner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always worn a helmet even though Connecticut does not have a helmet law. I do beleive in to each their own. I wear a helmet so if some DA cage takes me out relatives can still see my pretty face in the casketr

Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
As far as being curious as to my motivation, I'd suggest you don't lose any sleep over it either way.
Now you tell me! Haven't slept since I typed that. Just sat here, waiting for your response.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wear mine even when I ventured down to Florida. Seen too many things to not wear one.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by brenn
There aren't pro-helmet and anti-helmet people, that I've met. Only pro-helmet and pro-choice.
I have to say I have run into quite a few anti-helmet people - or, at least that is the position they take to justify not wearing one. It's not simple enough to say "I don't wear one because I don't want to" ... they have to roll out a laundry list of tired old myths - You can't see, can't hear, you'll break your neck, the weight of the helmet will cause more damage, too hot, too noisy ...

The most militant of the bunch will trot out some story like (an actual story someone told me) - you shouldn't wear a helmet because it will kill you - a guy on a bike crossed the median at high speed, got airborne and slammed into the grill of an oncoming semi - he fell to the ground where a van ran him over and his helmet got snagged on the undercarriage of the van, causing his corpse to be dragged under the van. ... so I asked - don't you think he'd have been dead when he hit the semi head on?

... and there are the militant anti-helmet people who seem to always feel the need to claim they are being told what to do and the entire Bill of Rights is being destroyed whenever someone says anything positive about wearing a helmet. It's about freedom of choice - but only if you agree with their choice.

I say ****-em all ... just ride.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kanelakos
In one sentence you talk about doing over 100 mph and in another you talk about common sense??? Sorry bro.... I just find that hilarious
Really? What is it about driving fast that scares you? Do you think following the posted speed limit somehow makes you safe? That slamming head on into a semi is somehow safe at 55 but unsafe at speeds above that? Don't drink the kool-aid. Speed in and of itself is not unsafe - depends on where you're doing it. Speed in and of itself doesn't kill.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts
Default Is this what it looks like?

I'm assuming this is the statistical incidence for area of impact. Where is this info available? Very interesting.

Originally Posted by Superfly3176

Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Really? What is it about driving fast that scares you? Do you think following the posted speed limit somehow makes you safe? That slamming head on into a semi is somehow safe at 55 but unsafe at speeds above that? Don't drink the kool-aid. Speed in and of itself is not unsafe - depends on where you're doing it. Speed in and of itself doesn't kill.
Was not talking about being scared. Dont recall even typing that word. Common sense however is what I was talking about. If you dont believe excessive speed kills then it is you who is drinking the kool-aid.

"Speed in and of itself doesn't kill"... thats like saying falling from a plane wont kill you, hitting the ground will.

Last edited by kanelakos; 03-15-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added text

Quick Reply: Helmet, would you or would you not?