General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uneven lanes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default uneven lanes

I have been riding for years but 'Uneven Lanes' makes my a$$ pucker ..
Last year while riding in Colorado on I-70 in the left lane the line just dropped about 4 inches. They had cut the ashphalt up in preparation for new pavement leaving these large grooves in the road. Worst the any rain grooves I've seen. I dropped from 80 down to 55 in about a minute but feared being run over by an 18 wheeler come up on my a$$.

I wanted to switch lanes ( move to right ) but there was that 4 inch difference. Going down 4 inches isn't back but jumping up that 4 inches on the uneven lanes just makes my a$$ pucker..

I couldn't bring myself to do that.... Anyone else have this fear of uneven lanes. ( I'm ok at lower speed say 30 mph just not at highway speeds )

I watched guys before just easy over and hop right up there..

Any thoughts ?

Is it better to easy over or hit this at a angle ??

Old 03-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Definitely a situation that increases "pucker factor" a bit. I've always eased over at a slight angle to let speed & inertia take over. Tires have give so they'll grip & climb over the hump, but 4" is quite a difference so probably have to angle a bit more w/this higher off-set. Can also tap your brakes to let traffic behind know your intentions. Then slow to a comfortable speed & merge over...

Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never seen a road that has been milled 4"

I've seen 2" and it didn't just drop off, it had a bevel.

I've seen 1" that didn't have a bevel.

Changing lanes from a milled surface to an unmilled is easy when there is a bevel. You hardly notice it.

When there is no bevel, the first time yyou do it, is like the first time you go to the dentist....the fear factor is higher than the pain....

The first time you do one, try it at a 45 degree angle. Don't grip the bars tightly as you might want to over-control and that will cause a problem. The bike will want to lean and turn when you hit the unmilled surface, so just be prepared.

Make time on a weekend, in the mornings when traffic is lightest. Go to this section of road and try it. Several times. Shoot, spend and hour or two on this stretch....do it over and over. The next time you come across this type of situation, you will be prepared for it.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4 inches would scare me. Was coming back home a few weeks ago and hit the same thing on I-40 but was only 2 inches I think. Bike sure got squirrely in those groves.
Worst grooves I had to ride was in Wilmington NC last year. I had to get off that road. It was like riding a snake.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default 4"

Jersey does this ALL THE TIME! It can be a humbling experience at best. Usually there will be a construction sign of some kind but sometimes you gotta stay with the flow of traffic. The letdown is EZ but the "lines" on the surface from cutting can cause the loose front wheel syndrom. The only cure from this I know of is a GRADUAL slowdown without overcontrol. As to getting back on top, if you want to change lanes, the sharper the change the better. A gradual turn could cause a wheel to slip and lay you down. I usually just slow down and ride it out.

Reminds me of the days of RR and trolly tracks in the middle of town. Saw more than 1 poor b**tard go down when the front wheel got caught in a RR track.

DAMN! Seems like yesterday!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I don't like uneven lanes either. I honestly don think states or municipalities are aware of the danger they present to bikes.
The ones I see are usually 3 inches of fresh new asphalt. If I'm planning to exit the road I'll try to get in the right lane before the pavement becomes uneven.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Jersey does this ALL THE TIME! It can be a humbling experience at best. Usually there will be a construction sign of some kind but sometimes you gotta stay with the flow of traffic. The letdown is EZ but the "lines" on the surface from cutting can cause the loose front wheel syndrom. The only cure from this I know of is a GRADUAL slowdown without overcontrol. As to getting back on top, if you want to change lanes, the sharper the change the better. A gradual turn could cause a wheel to slip and lay you down. I usually just slow down and ride it out.

Reminds me of the days of RR and trolly tracks in the middle of town. Saw more than 1 poor b**tard go down when the front wheel got caught in a RR track.

DAMN! Seems like yesterday!
I ride thru Joisey once or twice a year to see family and friends in the city. I've done it for years.
I am now capable of folding and putting a crease in my shorts with my buttcheeks.