General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat question

Ok so I tried searching, but maybe just wasn't hitting the right key words. I have seen a few threads about short riders, but they were all in specific threads for other models. My basic question is where do you measure on the seat (stock 2-up) to get a feel of how far forward you should go if ordering a custom solo? I feel that I need to move forward to get a better contact with the controls. Also I will be taking a pair of work boots down to sit on the bike to get a feel for how much I need to move down as in tennis-shoes I need to tippy toe a bit to stand the bike up straight. Does narrowing the front (horn I think) of the seat help with the legs moving up at all towards the controls? I know mean city will custom work a seat, but looking into a solo and heard that c & c will custom build I just don't know how much extra they charge. I know their are probably tons of seat threads, but like I said couldn't find the answers to my questions. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Well after trying with my work boots instead of shoes I got a better feel. Would still like to come down a little, and feel a slight move forward would be nice. Feels kinda awkward reaching my leg in for the rear brake around the air cleaner cover. Shifter isn't to bad, but I think a little bit forward will give me a better feel. I can stand pretty much flat footed, but want a little more comfort. So I guess for the seats that move you down does that give you more leg reach, or should I shop for a solo seat that get's me a little forward. Or will still the question of narrowing the front give my legs a little more room to reach forward? Once again sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to motorcycles.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dirtythirty,

You might try to take the seat off and use a towel as a place holder to approximate where you want your seat to be. Also have you tried adjusting your handlebars inward an inch or 2, sometimes that is all that is required to feel more comfortable. Just my 2 cents. I am not a seat expert so I can't really answer your questions. But you might call up mean city cycles and ask them over the phone. They can more than likely help you out, as adjusting seats is what they do.

Good luck and see you on the road.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior

Another thing:

Your bike doesn't have forward controls by any chance? If it does getting mid controls would seem to be the solution for you.

Tom

Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Tom thanks for the tip on the handle bars. Reading that just reminded me that the guy I bought it from mentioned he adjusted something with the bars. I'll have to ask him if I see it at work tomorrow. I know the extra inch or so of sole on the boots, and the steel toe makes the shifter feel better. I guess just being new to riding I am making myself paranoid about safety, and comfort on the bike. Hopefully the MSF course next week will ease my mind a little.
Eric

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ZeroFiveFour
Another thing:

Your bike doesn't have forward controls by any chance? If it does getting mid controls would seem to be the solution for you.

Tom
Being new to bikes I haven't learned a lot of things like that, and don't know the answer to that one. I know it has floor boards, and don't see any brackets to move them forward. So if the stock location is mid controls then thats what I have. I just need to get used to the bike, but still thinking about a seat to lower myself down a little bit.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DirtyThirty
Being new to bikes I haven't learned a lot of things like that, and don't know the answer to that one. I know it has floor boards, and don't see any brackets to move them forward. So if the stock location is mid controls then thats what I have. I just need to get used to the bike, but still thinking about a seat to lower myself down a little bit.
I just did a quick search and it looks like the 2002 softail standard has forward controls. Not sure if yours does as previous owners like to modify their bikes =). I have never had floor boards but I am fairly certian they accompany forward controls.

If you stretch your legs forward while riding as opposed to having them more in a seated position down by your sides then you have forward controls. If the gear shift lever is towards the front portion of the engine as opposed to the rear portion of the engine then you have forwards.

Shorter riders, of which I am one at 5" 7', generally prefer mid controls for the reasons you mention. Comfort and ease of shifting. Also your leg clearance with the air cleaner cover should be improved with mid controls. I would certainly look into that option at cycle city or south seas and see what they can do for you if your budget permits.

I would be more than happy to help you out however tomorrow I am heading to Texas for the next 9 days, but after that let me know if I can help you out with any questions or other assistance locally.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Tom thanks again. I just ordered a Danny Gray speed cradle solo. I should get it next week, and see how that helps. It says it moves you down and forward. I'll look into the mid controls as well next time I make my way to the dealer. I think I'm gonna go look at engine guards to see if they have some different styles installed so I can get a look at what I might get if I decide to pick one up. Enjoy the trip.