General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing Rear Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
If it were me, I would check all spokes, remove all the weights, and pick up the proper amount of Dyna Beads. Been using them for a while and don't think I would ever go back to weights.
They make it easy for me to change my own tires and get a smooth ride.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
This answer is high quality!
Dyna beads work perfectly! no old weights should be left on, EVER!
If the tire takes a large amount of mounted weights, You break the bead & turn it 1/8th on the rim & try 1 more time. If it's still high, it comes off and marked as defective!
hatch.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
cosmic tang
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good information

Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Instead of dyna beads, take it one step farther and check out the Ride On product. Used by our military, as well as major companies with lots of trucks on the road.

We got 17,000 on our first E3 rear tire with Ride On installed, with never a vibration. Cast wheels in our case. http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so I took a look when I got home and it appears that the rear tire is lined up with a mark on the tire to the valve stem, but I could not find a mark on the front tire. All the new stick on weight is added next to the old spoke weights. Here are a few pics.

Left side of the rear wheel with TWO 7 gram weights.

Right side of the rear wheel with TWO 7 gram weights.

Left side of front wheel with TWO 7 gram weights.

Right side of front wheel with FOUR 7 gram weights.

Dyna beeds interest me, I assume that they work well with tubes too?

I will check into that Ride-On product too.

I am debating on weather or not I should take the wheels off tonight and take them back to the shop in the morning or not? Right now I am leaning twards doing that...

Thanks again for all the help!

Phil

Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

if the new weights are next to or near the old weights then there is something really messed up. maybe a heavy sided tire that just happened to end up with the heavy side of the rim. for the new weights to be canceling out the old weights they would have to be on the opposite side of the rim or close to it.. i would have the guy take all weights off, recheck it and if it still takes all the weight, have him spin the tire on the rim 180 degrees. if it still takes all the weight, i would want a new tire.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:42 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ok.. thats not bad.. its only a total of 1OZ on the rear wheel and 1.5OZ on the front wheel.. each square is a 1/4 ounce.. anyone got a bong ? LOL

Old 03-09-2011, 06:45 PM
stokes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the dyna beads in both my tires,both were bought last season and balanced with the old weight system,so I didnt expect to see much improvement,as the tires seemed to be fine.All I can say is holy chit!! The improvement was incredible.Literally like riding on glass,at any speed,fsat or slow.I am going to look into putting them in both my auto and SUV.Not sure,but I do believe they can be used with tubed tires,check the web site,it is very informative.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 PM
skdvr
Tourer

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
ok.. thats not bad.. its only a total of 1OZ on the rear wheel and 1.5OZ on the front wheel.. each square is a 1/4 ounce.. anyone got a bong ? LOL
But how much do the spoke weights weigh that are next to the stick on weights?

Phil

Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

The old weights on the spokes look to be somewhere in the 1/2 to 1 oz neighborhood (hard to tell in a picture), so that gives you a total of 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 ounces. That's probably within the tire manufacturers specification. Getting a new tire in that situation is probably not going to happen, and it's probably not necessary either.

With the spoke weights in-line with the stick-on's I don't see any problem other than aesthetically. Maybe they're not even from an old mount. Maybe the guy doing the balancing used a combination of spoke and stick-on weights. Again, a little lacking in the attention-to-detail department, but nevertheless, functionally ok.

In your pictures the stick-on's don't appear to be stuck on that well. I'd mark the wheel and keep my eye on them in case they fly off you can replace them easily.

All of this is a moot point if you decide on dynabeads or the like.

I do my own tire mounting and balancing. One thing I do with my wheels at the first tire change is check the balance of the wheel itself (no tire) and mark the heavy point on the inside of the wheel. Then I line up the dot on the tire with that point. When you arbitrarily line up the dot on the tire with the valve stem, you're assuming the valve stem is the heavy point which isn't alway the case.

Last edited by 2black1s; 03-09-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 PM
skdvr
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2black1s
The old weights on the spokes look to be somewhere in the 1/2 to 1 oz neighborhood (hard to tell in a picture), so that gives you a total of 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 ounces. That's probably within the tire manufacturers specification. Getting a new tire in that situation is probably not going to happen, and it's probably not necessary either.

With the spoke weights in-line with the stick-on's I don't see any problem other than aesthetically. Maybe they're not even from an old mount. Maybe the guy doing the balancing used a combination of spoke and stick-on weights. Again, a little lacking in the attention-to-detail department, but nevertheless, functionally ok.

In your pictures the stick-on's don't appear to be stuck on that well. I'd mark the wheel and keep my eye on them in case they fly off you can replace them easily.

All of this is a moot point if you decide on dynabeads or the like.

I do my own tire mounting and balancing. One thing I do with my wheels at the first tire change is check the balance of the wheel itself (no tire) and mark the heavy point on the inside of the wheel. Then I line up the dot on the tire with that point. When you arbitrarily line up the dot on the tire with the valve stem, you're assuming the valve stem is the heavy point which isn't alway the case.
Good info....

Thanks
Phil

Quick Reply: Balancing Rear Wheel