General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the bike scene, HELP Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm 5' 8" 200* and have a 30" inseam
I have no problem with the 48 the way it's set up from the Factory
Strike that I put the spring seat on it. The bike could use a better rear suspension like some have mentioned.
I don't have a problem with the stock setup or the rider position.

As was said buy others, look around, test bikes and basically when you make your decision have fun with your choice

Old 03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Oh yeah, and definitely try to ride a few models before you buy anything. When I was looking for a Sportster, I rode an 883 Iron, Nighster, and 48. They all have that same cool look, but sure did feel different when riding them.

I knew I wanted the 48 the second I rode it (and I rode it last.) But you may like a Nighster, 883 Iron, Crossbones, etc... better.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 PM
treatpoo4u
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. get what you want not what you think others want you to have. the dark customs are great. i ride a roadking when i want comfort, and a nightster when i..................., well whenever i want. the ride purely sucked on pa roads. i added air shocks and fork springs, it rides great. you can't beat the price of a nightster, iron, or 48. i still think the 48 looks the best, IMO

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
nutter
Cruiser

get what you like and what feels comforable. im 5'11 140pounds and got a used dyna lowrider for my first bike and have no prbolem controling it. just stuck to backroads till i got usto the weight going around corners.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Tin Man_1996
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Faytal
I must say, I've posted to a lot of website before, and that was by far the best, non-insulting, and helpful response that I've gotten in a long time!
Anyone that gives you **** for being a new rider is a douchebag....everyone was a new rider at some point. Once you get the bike you want you'll need to buy a better toothbrush....you'll need it to get the bugs off your teeth from smiling so damn much.

Respects,

Tin Man

Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't sweat the, " sportsters are girls bike thing", I would bet money a lot of folks here started on sporters and would love to own one again. I dig the heck out of the 48, Bare bones, functional, low upkeep (less chrome). Never had a problem with my gal on back keeping up with 74 riders. Sure, they could pull away, but we rode as a group. None of this , lets see how fast we can go from point a, to point b. Really juvenile in my books.jmho. But, I'm kinda an old guy. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that we wouldn't leave someone who rode with us in the dust, common courtesy.

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 03-08-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Roadrunner451
Intermediate

Aw hell dude, you know you want a 48 go out and get it. You won't really be happy with anything else. Get it and ride the hell out of that ****.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
BIGSTEVEX3
Cruiser

They look cool as hell there just small and i have rarley seen some one whos big enough to ride a bigger bike not wish they had gotton something else after a few months

Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a bad a$$ looking bike. But do consider this, find out how big the gas tank is, and what it's range will be. You may not enjoy always having to think about the next gas stop. That's my only asterisk.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
What Bob said. Get something to learn on. Better yet, if you live in the country, get a dual sport bike and learn to ride it in the dirt. It will be good for the road and the trail. Then you can decide if you want to go street, cruiser, or stay dual sport. The advantage of dual sport is you can go almost anywhere..although there are some on here who say you can go almost anywhere on any bike once you learn to ride it properly...and I do agree with that as I have ridden my Harley on some pretty gnarly roads.
Just be sure to learn to ride properly. Contact Harris at motorlessons (AT) shaw.ca for a book of riding lessons you can get for free. You won't regret getting it as it is a scaled down course he uses to teach Motor Officers.
Welcome to 2-wheeledom and the forum.
+1 Start on something smaller and cheaper. We all trashed something in those first few years. Hurts less if it cost less. Can't get enough riderr training.

Quick Reply: New to the bike scene, HELP Please!