General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the bike scene, HELP Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Faytal
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow

I must say, I've posted to a lot of website before, and that was by far the best, non-insulting, and helpful response that I've gotten in a long time!

The 48 is totally my style of bike, the longest trips i plan on doing are maybe to whistler, kelowna, and that kind of thing (3 or 4 hour trips tops).

And i am planning on going to deely's on saturday, i went to the langley HD last weekend, but didn't have much for me to try as they were sold out of a lot.

Any other bikes that you guys can think of that compare to the 48? Along the same lines? I saw the fat bob, and i kind of like the whole dark custom line up (blackline looks wicked awesome). The only thing with these bikes is that none of them are for sale used. Id have to buy them pretty much brand new, and with the 48 there is actually a premium on it because there are so few of them to go around.

Thanks again guys!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Florida, get the bike that's going to make you happy. Make sure you know what kind of riding you will be doing and get a bike that can adapt. Don't rush, take a couple of test rides, and ask all the questions you need to make you comfortable.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

My only thing with the 48 is check leg position!! At 5'11" even with forwards might be to short for you. At 6' my buddies nightster feels tiny to me and I feel crammed. He's 5'10" and although he loves his nightster he wishes he could stretch out a little more.

IMO look into the Dyna world. They are big enough for 2up. You can put a big fat front wheel on it like a few have done on the Dyna side of this forum to make look like a 48, but you did the work yourself. As for touring there is enough detachable things to make it a full dresser and then break it down when you get home to hot rod around. Plus since you were thinking R6 you will also have fun in turns with a Dyna Fatbob, Streetbob or superglide.

I went in set on buying the nighttrain, then looked at a fatboy. Started checking the deal on a street gilde, but left with my Street bob and I wouldn't have it any other way. I would love to add a SG to my collection someday, just not yet. I was 27 when I bought my SB and I use to have an R6.

Last edited by JaronB; 03-08-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
asg13
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im a bigger guy 6' 230lbs..I just got my first harley as well..A Crossbones..However i really dig the 48..bad *** bike imo..im sure with different bars and forwards it would fit u fine...nightsters look sweet with many apes as well imo...

good luck

Old 03-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Exodus05
5th Gear

Keep in mind, the smaller degree of rake, the easier the bike is to manuver in turns. The chopper look is great but a lower degree of rake is safer.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Go ride some different bikes, models, etc., and see what fits YOU. Everyone here will have a different opinion, and none of them matter. It's you that you've got to please, and unless you've ridden it, and it fits, it's not going to be much fun. Bear in mind you can change seats, bars, pegs, etc., to make it fit BETTER, but basically the scoot has to fit YOU. Many HD dealers will take the cost of the rental off the cost if you decide to buy a bike that you've rented recently. That's a great option too. Narrow your search down to two, and rent each for 1/2 day on the same day. Ride them back to back and you'll know when you climb off the second one which one is for you. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Markus161
Advanced

Definitely alot of good information that everyone has given you. I definitely agree with buying whatever it is that you like best and fits your riding style and budget. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, because you surely aren't going to be able to please everyone. As long as you find something that let's you ride your ride that is all that matters.

I also agree with maybe something a little smaller until you find exactly what you want. I tried to start on a Road King Classic that I won in a charity raffle and quickly found out that it was a bad idea. I bought a 800cc metric and have found it much easier to improve my skills and enjoy riding. It also made me realize that I definitely need something with more power.

Hope you have fun in your search and welcome aboard

Old 03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 795 Posts

I also think the "48" is a good choice, but at your height you may be cramped a bit as has been mentioned. Forward controls and different bars may make that bike more suitable for you.

You may also consider the StreetBob, about the same look but a little bigger platform and room to stretch out.

Whatever you decide, be sure and provide pictures when you can. Enjoy the ride and welcome!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Some really good advice here and I'll probably just cover what's already been said just in a different way.

I would strongly suggest going for a cheeper used bike to start off with. Nothing wrong with the Sportster but if you go with something you really like and near new out of the box what happens if you drop it while still learning?

I went with a used Sportster because I wanted a Harley but got one that was older (1999), low milage (4,400), and kind of beat up already. Mirrors were missing, the carb needed cleaning, no signals, the tank had dents in it and the paint on the rear fender was chipped to the bare, now rusted, metal in many places. The front fender was no-where to be found. It was an 883 and not much to look at but at $2,500 it was a steel.

I rode that bike and gently dropped it a couple times at slow speeds while learning to ride and getting more proficent with my bike handling abilities. Once I was confident of my skills I began to fix up the bike and make it something to be proud of. Not only that, but it was MY creation, MY vision, not someone elses. When I was done I had put another $3,000 into it, it was now a 1200, and it was exactly what I liked. Put over 20K miles on it in a year. (It the bike on the right in my signature.) If you're mechanically inclined, buying used coupled with doing your own work can save you thousands in the long run.

Now some things for you to consider. With your size, the Sportster with mid controls will feel very cramped especially over longer rides like the 3-4 hour ones you are talking about. Forward controls, or at the very least highway pegs, will be a life saver on those trips. Other comfort things to consider are shocks. The stock shocks on a Sportster are not the best in the world. For your weight you may be okay but pack any gear and you're going to feel how bad they can be. Forget 2-up. Good news is for about $50 you can put a set of Road King Air Shocks on and they're good for 180 lbs +. Huge change. The seat will probably be another thing to consider changing but that would be after shocks. I lived with a stock seat and only had issues once.

Also to keep in mind with the 48 is that you get between 80 and 100 miles to the tank. A 4 hour trip might mean 3-4 fuel stops. Here in the southwest that's no problem as there are enough stations along major highways to fill up. Up there, well you'd know better than I.

If you're looking used to save money, you'll be hard pressed to find the newer bikes like the 48, new Wide Glide, and Blackline (those are so new I don't think you WILL find one "used"). However, comparable bikes might be the Nightster, the older 2008 and earlier Wide Glides, and the Softail Night Train. Those are all good bikes and easy (okay maybe not easy but easier) to pick up used.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I say go straight for a Harley and skip the cheaper bike. That's what I did and it was definitely the right decision (for me.)

I had a Dyna, then a Road King, and now a 48. The 48 is alot smaller and more fun to ride than the other bikes I've owned. Of course, I find myself missing the conveniences of the Road King from time to time (bags, big tank, smoother ride, etc...), but the "badassness" of the 48 makes up for it.

The only grip I have is that I have to stop and get gas often. The small tank sure does look good, though.

Quick Reply: New to the bike scene, HELP Please!