General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best route planning tools?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:16 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

HD Ride Planner and a Nuvi 760 lets me import map data. Not perfect - but it works.

Last edited by FloridaFLHX; 03-09-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
mont1340
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Support the lumber industry

Originally Posted by cochon
Us gray beards who have been riding for a while used to use something called a map! I know it is a strange concept to actually carry something made out of paper, but, it works like a charm. By the way, the trip that you have planned is really nice. Don't miss the Lake Placid area, Ausable Chasm, take a ferry across Lake Champlain(or go up around it, beautiful), see Mt. Washington from the top, and bring warm clothing and raingear.
I gotta agree with you Cochon....Those paper maps work great and you can pull of someplace, have a cold one and just take a look. Only time I get into trouble is in metro areas, where I might scratch down a few notes on "PAPER" just in case. If it gets too complicated, I just say WTF and follow a compass. Too much planning hurts my head......

Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by inswva
I'm going to be doing a solo ride in late April from southern Virginia up to Vermont/New Hampshire. My goal is eliminate/minimize any use of the interstate system, both there and back. I'll also be camping most nights with a motel/hotel thrown in a couple of times, either as a luxury or through necessity.

I've Google mapped a tentative route up there but it's been fairly laborious. I'll be going up through WV, PA, and NY and then cutting east through the Adirondacks before going through VT and NH; mainly on US and state routes. I haven't figured out the return leg yet. Before I spend more time banging around on Google maps, is there a better tool to use?
whats the fun in planning? Ride north. Hit water - turn right. You'll be there is no time. Seriously - I will never understand the " must plan out every stop" crowd. Bring a map and a compass and use if you get lost.

Last edited by simpkinst; 03-08-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
Us gray beards who have been riding for a while used to use something called a map! I know it is a strange concept to actually carry something made out of paper, but, it works like a charm. By the way, the trip that you have planned is really nice. Don't miss the Lake Placid area, Ausable Chasm, take a ferry across Lake Champlain(or go up around it, beautiful), see Mt. Washington from the top, and bring warm clothing and raingear.
Yep.....best way to travel and you don't have to worry about batteries or battery chargers! Also, when people see you checking your map and knowing you are on a bike, the conversation is always friendly and inquiring.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 AM
orbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing a lot of trip over the years. Don't depend on one resource. Be flexable even after you have planned your route. While traveling; during stops, especially food stops, don't be afraid to ask for traveling tips from the locals.
I did a trip from Oregon to NYC to Kentucky to home. 3/4 of the trip was on 2 lane roads. I found that camping cost more and more the farther east I went. And also harder to fine. I found that the "Mama and Pa" motels were only $5 or $10 more then a undesirably campground (RV Park).
I use Mapsource, Google / google earth, paper maps, Ideas from chat boards and the internet search engines to help with my travels. I hardly ever make reservations, unless I am going to a destination that will require them.
Part of riding a motorcycle is freedom and riding solo increases that freedom.

My next trip is to Fairbanks, Alaska in June also. I leave Oregon on June 17th for 3 weeks. The wife and I will be visiting my family in Fairbanks, travelling some roads up there, doing a King Salmon fishing trip with the family and a 2 day Alaska Ferry trip to return part way south. I plan a little and then take a break for a while, just so I won't burn myself out and get too planned. Plus planning is part of the fun. Not knowing what's around the next corner is very cool. ENJOY YOUR TRIP

Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Google Earth when planning rides. You can zoom in and see details that you normally can't see on standard internet maps. The HOG Touring Handbook with maps is as good as any I've seen to carry with you.

Vermont/New Hampshire, Up State NY has some pretty nice riding.

Last edited by shortride; 03-09-2011 at 05:25 AM.