Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warning about working on forks

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:12 PM
toecat2000
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default warning about working on forks

I'm gonna admit my ignorance to hopefully help someone else out.

Last week I put new pipes on my bike and changed the fork seals.

The forks were a pain in the ***. I wanted the tubes chromed but price was out of my league at this point so I polished the heck out of them. I spent several nights on the polishing. I get them close to where I want them. I drive 45 minutes away to get new seals because all of the local shops are closed.
When I go to put the bike back together, I find that they sold me the wrong seals.

When I finally get the right seals, I have a hell of time finding something to drive the seals back into place. I break down and go to home depot and get a piece of pvc pipe.

So by now I'm sick of working on the bike and not even reading the service manual anymore.

When I took the fork tube nut off, it literally shot off into a piece of plywood above me and back down. thank god my head wasn't over it. The nut is about 1 inch thick of solid metal and probably weighs close to a pound.

The service manual says to relieve the pressure before removing the fork nut. I can attest to this now. Jacking up the front end greatly relieved the pressure and made the second one manageable.

Like I said, it was my ignorance but when I think of many times I've done things without service manuals, I think it's important to share this.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I've done all my own service work so far but I haven't had to deal with the Forks yet. I'll file this in the back of my brain for future reference.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 633 Posts

Thanks , toecat , Purdy Funny

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in a buddies garage one time. He took apart his fork tubes and ended up with stiches in his hand. I bought the chrome sliders on ebay and had the dealer put them on

Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Good thing you were't leaning over the nut when it shot off - face shot would've been pretty painful...

Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was in my young teens, we used to put .22 caliber shells in a vice and hit them with a hammer ...why? I have no idea! Service manuals are good things though!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hddan502
When I was in my young teens, we used to put .22 caliber shells in a vice and hit them with a hammer ...why? I have no idea! Service manuals are good things though!
You too? LoL, stupid stuff we did and survived to tell.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Turbo Flux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't being ignorant kids great? I really miss that. I catch myself getting onto my boys too much knowing what I did.

I was going to do the fork work myself soon, now I shall reconsider.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Like Bucky covington's song, we were born from mothers who smoke and drank! Or something like that.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

When I was 6, a buddy of mine found a box of his dad's .22 shells and we fired a bunch off by smashing them with a rock. I have a scar on my index finger to remind me of that not so bright idea.

Quick Reply: warning about working on forks