General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biker culture is officially dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it is a lot of things these days.

I was instructed at an early age to stop and help older people that appeared to be broken down on the side of the road (or in distress), and by all means anybody on a bike regardless of make model he or she was riding. You never know when karma is in need on either side.

As for stopping for helping women on the roadside, I pull up on the bike and ask if they need help. I keep a strong vigilance in case of a set-up (Yea it happens).

Some that I have stopped for have been very appreciative and some where kind of strange about the whole thing. I know that as a traveler, stopping is the right thing to do regardless of the outcome.

Although I stay away from big gatherings and spectator events as there are to many of the "It's all about me" types.

Last edited by SteveO-ll; 03-06-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a shame....

Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Strat HD
Tourer

.... His quote to us....."I would rather be broken down on the side of the road than get help from someone riding Jap Crap.

Typical POSER reply.

Last edited by Strat HD; 03-06-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have stopped to just have a smoke on country road and have had people stop on several occasions.. the one day, two different people stopped within 5 minutes.. one dude was on his bike and another guy was in his truck and as he passed me he did a u-turn in the road to make sure i was ok.. i thought thats pretty cool..

Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kumite
Unfortunately some of this it true. Three years ago during my pre Harley days, my wife and I stoped in on a 113 degree heat index day to offer a broken down harley some assitance. Got him in the car and gave water while he called someone and cooled down.

During that conversation, he asked what type of bike that we rode (me a VTX and she a Vulcan) .... His quote to us....."I would rather be broken down on the side of the road than get help from someone riding Jap Crap.

A really nice guy and a great representative of the Harely / biking culture.

R. Todd
If that was said to me, I would gladly oblige the AH, kick him out of my car and let him have a heat stroke.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,962 Likes on 22,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Strat HD
.... His quote to us....."I would rather be broken down on the side of the road than get help from someone riding Jap Crap.

Typical POSER reply.
Even on this site, many Harley owners are snobs to one another, not too mention helping one another on the open road.
That's what turns me off about most of your H O G outfits is their snobbiness and condescendence.

Unfortuneately the R U B culture has permeated HD as it had too I suppose, due to the outrageous costs of their motorcycles,which we cherish and love. This is probably exactly what HD wanted though. You know, the "H D number 1" crap? That way the moco can charge what ever they want to and do..and you won't blink an eye, because it is "HD."

Last edited by lionsm13; 03-06-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

stopped for a couple yesterday on the side of the road. just pulled up slow and asked if they were ok, they said yes and we took off. I was passed up a few times while broke down way "back in the day" by biker types so it isn't anthing new.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 AM
ScreamingEag1e
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
Maybe she should have hid the Glock.
Now that's funny right there... I don't care who you are.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
scottburns8ball
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
I think a part of it is ...this is the day of cell phones and credit cards...people have come to the conclusion that if someone breaks down they aren't stranded, they have a cell phone...

Back in the day when there were no cell phones, you could actually be stranded, so they would stop and help.
think you hit the nail on the head, there.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member

People are desensitised toward those in trouble/need. 1. A breakdown has beed used as a scam to rob a good samaritin. 2. People sued for helping people ( somethings gone wrong). 3. People dont care. 4. Everyone has a cell phone. My wife and stop and check on people who are pulled over, I have her talk to the woman who are stopped if where together and ask if they have help on the way most do. I look at it this way if my wife or mom or other family needed help I hope an good intentioned soul would stop and atleast ask if they needed anything. This problem has finally each the biker society. We who are willing can continue to pay it forward.

Quick Reply: The biker culture is officially dead