General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biker culture is officially dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bruder
their are still a few of old timers out there,not many but a enough.most of these new motorcyclists are not worth a damn anyhow.
Because they won't sevice your bike for you?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little late for the party, but what the hey...

This happens in all aspects now, thanks to most of society having blinders on..

The "If it doesnt affect me, I'm not getting involded" attitude. And the aspect of getting sued by someone if even the slightest hint of something goes wrong.

I was an OTR truck driver for many years and it use to be if a truck was broke down, you pulled over and helped, not anymore...

If a car is pulled over,... Many variables come into play...

Is it night... I aint stopping
Is it a woman... She'll say I tried to rape her
IS it on a busy highway... I'll probably get into an accident

And mostly... Why should I help, its not my problem.

When somethiing starts with few and gains many, customs change... Unfortunately, usually not for the better.

Its sad no one helped... There are still some good souls out there, But like you said, for the most part "It's Dead

Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

next time tell the wife not to point the Glock at everyone and they may have slowed down to help....

Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
jarhead59
Tourer

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
It's not unusual to be upset when your bike is broken.

But everybody seems to blame the nonbroken bike riders for it, as if it's their fault.
They didn't break your bike, they don't even know you.

There's plenty enough guys that still stop, but some just don't have the time or tools or know-how. Don't get mad at them just because your bike let you down.

These threads scream entitlement from a bunch of stangers and that is just wrong.
the O P's original post did not scream entitlement, he wasn't pissed because everybody didn't stop. His issue was back in the day at least someone would have stopped, and that is disappearing. BTW most of your other points are well put.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM
NightsRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by martinbrody
Since there were so many riding by each one's personal responsibility to act felt diminished. Ironically if only one had ridden by in that time, they would have been much more likely to stop. It is called the diffusion of responsibility.

So in a sense you are correct. In the days of fewer bikers, they were more likely to follow the rule to always stop for a broken down bike.

From the wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusi...responsibility
This is why when administering first aid you single out one person to call 911. Never say somebody call...

Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

On the way to Laconia last year I had a rear tire blowout. While waiting for my pal in Maine to come and get me well over 30 bikes passed my wife and I on the side of the road. Anyone knows Route 9 you can easily stop, turn around or slow down and see if things are okay. NO ONE stopped I wasn't mad just accepted that this is a sign of our times.

When I see any bike on the side of the road I slow right down and give a thumbs up. If I get one back I assume the rider is having a smoke, stretching, or taking a pee break and carry on. If I don't get a response I stop.
I am not a mechanic but I have a cellphone (maybe the rider doesn't) I know First Aid (maybe the rider doesn't) I think it is the RIGHT THING TO DO and I will continue to do it as long as I ride.

Last edited by BlueNoser; 03-07-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by NightsRider
This is why when administering first aid you single out one person to call 911. Never say somebody call...
This is what they taught in the CPR class I took. Single out one person, otherwise everyone thinks the other guy already called.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
On the way to Laconia last year I had a rear tire blowout. While waiting for my pal in Maine to come and get me well over 30 bikes passed my wife and I on the side of the road. Anyone knows Route 9 you can easily stop, turn around or slow down and see if things are okay. NO ONE stopped.

When I see any bike on the side of the road I slow right down and give a thumbs up. If I get one back I assume the rider is having a smoke, stretching, or taking a pee break and carry on. If I don't get a response I stop.
You had a flat.

If you were passing somebody else who had an obvious flat, what could you do? Unless you have a flat repair kit, there is nothing you could do.
Keep in mind, everybody has a cell phone already.

You could hang around and 'talk bikes' I suppose, but you couldn't be of any help. Those that rode by you knew that there was little that they could do.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
You had a flat.

If you were passing somebody else who had an obvious flat, what could you do? Unless you have a flat repair kit, there is nothing you could do.
Keep in mind, everybody has a cell phone already.

You could hang around and 'talk bikes' I suppose, but you couldn't be of any help. Those that rode by you knew that there was little that they could do.
Last September I was on my way to Phoenix from So. Cal. to visit a friend who also rides. Behind me another friend of ours (who doesn't ride) was following in his car. We were heading out on the 10 and as we were winding through the desert of CA we saw smoke up ahead. It was a car, on the right shoulder, fully engulfed in flames. There was a man, standing beside the car on his cell phone. Every car on the highway was in the left lane, slowing down to look, but not stopping.

Now, I can't fight a car fire. If someone was trapped in the car, they were already a gonner. I didn't have a passenger seat so I couldn't give the guy a lift anywhere. Stop or not stop, no one would think less of me.

I swung into the right lane and planned on riding just past the car and pulling over in front of it to stop and see if there was ANYTHING I could do anyway. In the process the wind shifted and I wound up riding through a wall of fire. Still stopped and asked the guy if anyone else was hurt and if he had got in touch with 911? He said he was the only one in the car and yes he had called 911.

I didn't do it because some code says I should. I didn't do it because I happened to carry a fire extinguisher with me. I didn't do it because I know life saving CPR or can treat burn victims. I did it because, for me, it's what I feel is the right thing to do. I'd hope someone would do the same for me if the situation was reversed. I do it because I believe there are others out there like me and my acting this way keeps that hope in me alive. If I don't do it, who will? This time there was nothing I could do but what if his cell phone was out? What if there was no reception? What if someone was thrown from the car and had tumbled down the hill next to the car? What if someone had a heart attack and he needed someone to help him with CPR? Maybe this time he didn't need me but maybe the next one will.

For me, it doesn't matter what anyone else does. If I break down and no one stops (has happened), that's fine. If I break down and someone stops that can't help me but tries anyway (has happened), that's fine. If I break down and someone stops and can help me (has happened), that's great! None of that will change how I react about stopping and trying to help someone on the side of the road.

Now possibly endangering my family's safety would...but that's about it.

Last edited by Robotech; 03-07-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
DMacLeod
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bluzmn59
I'm sorry to have to report this, but it's true. I am down here in Daytona for Bike Week and my wife and I were riding over to Eustis for the AMCA meet when my panhead broke down (major). I left her by the side of the highway with the bike and my Glock for almost 1 1/2 hours while I rode her bike to get the truck. In that whole time, not ONE PERSON STOPPED! Everybody looked at her as they went by and a few honked, but hundreds of motorcycle riders (not bikers) rode by without even slowing down.

It breaks my heart that a culture I have been part of for over 30 years is over.

Happened to me back in 93 outside of Sturgis. Hundreds of bikes went by (99% Harleys). 1 guy did stop though and he was on a Honda. Little bit of gas and I was on the road again. (didn't realize I had the petcock on reserve)

Quick Reply: The biker culture is officially dead