General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD helmets good quality or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mibaman
Looking to get a FF helmet this year and gonna check out the dealer to see what they have. I am not gonna spend $700 on a Shoei, but wondering about the overall quality of all the HD models.

I get 20% off, but don't want a junk lid with a $150 HD sticker on it.

Thanks
AK
If you want a FF....Buy a Shoei...the are $350-500 depending on what paint design you want. I get black, so it is less money. They are lighter, quieter and more comfortable. I wear FF and I have had cheaper helmets. The biggest difference is that most helmets have one size shell and the padding makes it fit. A shoei has 3-4 different sized shells...thus smaller custom fit. You can feel a big difference at 80 MPH. Ventilaton is also way better, with great shiled options.

As you can see..I'm all about the Shoei, by the way, they are also Snell 2010 approved.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 AM
11bDad
Road Captain

Just as an example, the HJC IS-Max FF sell online for 179.99 shipped. The Harley Modular Helmet with sunshield is a IS-Max with Harley lettering and sells for 250.00. Same helmet.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The HD 1/2 helmet I wear is one of the most comfortable and best looking helmet I've had. It has the removable ear protector for cold weather riding.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer

Some HD shops will have a discount area with some items 40-50% off, got my wife a FF harley helmet with purple flames and bar/shield symbols for about $150, looks like good quality helmet. I just bought a silver Shoei Quest for $332 from Leatherup, really nice helmet. If you feel the need for a FF, go to a shop that carries Shoei and try them on. Any other brand that is quality such as Aria will be much higher in cost.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im getting the Nolan N43 open face soon for those long cold or rainy day rides.. they are very confortable... i think most HD half helmets are made by HJC.. price differance from a HD to HJC is frkin crazy and as u know -- its becasue it has a HD logo... 50cents stickers can do the same job !

Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As noted, Harley helmets are usually either HJC or KBC produced with a 50% markup for the HD sticker.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of days ago I was looking at 3/4 helmets at a Harley dealer, spotted an Ultra Jet that looked pretty good except for the Harley wrote on the side. I noticed the HJC sticker on the inside so when I got home I checked out HJCs site. I found they have a new version of the AC3 helmet, not made out of carbon fiber but fiberglass. Except for a little difference in the visor, it appears to be identicle to the Harley Ultra Jet. $145 for the AC3, $175 for the Ultra Jet. Not that much of a difference in price if you really have to have Harley wrote on everything you wear.

I bought a Shoei RJ Platimum online last year because of their reputation and I wanted removable liners so I could wash them. Worst helmet I have ever owned, the front of the helmet comes down and sits on my eyebrows and pushs my glasses way down on my nose, so not all Shoei helmets are that great. Two or three years ago I bought an Arai FF Quantum 2 helmet, the dealer took the time to change out the liners to fit it to me and it fits great, one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever worn. The moral of this story, always try on a helmet before you buy it and don't depend on opinions you hear on the net.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of misinformation here based on prejudice. 50% more for a sticker? BS.

My HD 3/4 helmet w/ flip-up shield was only $150. Previously had Shoei FF which was excellent also.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
psyco1
Road Master

Every company uses a different shaped mold, some people have an Arai shaped head, some have a Shoei and so on. Try one on from each brand you're considering first, especially with full face, for example a bad fit could cause a broken jaw if it's too short for your head.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
The HD 1/2 helmet I wear is one of the most comfortable and best looking helmet I've had. It has the removable ear protector for cold weather riding.
Ditto.
I have one I bought a few years ago.Nice helmet.

Quick Reply: HD helmets good quality or not?