General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Tvol
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Kit?

Anyone ever put together a list of common tools ( sizes, ect...) one may need to keep with them for a Harley? Im planning a long trip and wanted to put together a tool kit to keep with me.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 PM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just cleared out my tool bag to try and simplify it. I was carrying a couple sizes of sockets, a hex wrench set, couple screwdrivers, a few wrenches...

I got the following things going back in and found you can pretty much do anything you need with them: "gator grip" universal fit socket ($11 at Walmart and it's pretty dang cool) and a socket wrench to work it, an adjustable wrench, a screwdriver with interchangeable tips in the handle, and a hex wrench set.

So now instead of a whole bag full of stuff scratching my spare glasses and taking up space i've got a small handful of tools that cover all the bases

Old 03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

This is copied form a previous post I made. It will help:

Craftsman sells a $100 socket kit that will handle virtually all your needs, it also includes a screwdriver handle with various bits. You will also need a full torx bit set. I use the bits because the torx wrenches are more limited on what you can reach with them. It is much easier to use a torx bit on a ratchet. Throw in a very large slot screwdriver and a very large phillips screwdriver (they have a lot of uses including being used as tire spoons in a pinch). Throw in a crescent wrench, pliers, and a pair of vice grips and a bunch of 14" wire ties. Buy a small cheap air compressor from walmart , harborfreight or anywhere else ($9.99) and a tire plugging kit and you are ready to go cross country.

That is basically what I carry for long trips. I also carry a knife and a leatherman. So far it has handled everything I have needed. I also carry 2 small led flashlights with a few extra batteries. Nothing is worse than trying to work on something in the dark.

Here is the big brother to the Craftsman set I carry. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...9&blockType=G9

If you want to save space, empty it out of the box and throw all the tools in a cloth bag.

Last edited by Jonesee; 03-04-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:29 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default emergency roadside repair kit

We could use a sticky on Dyna tool kits.

Try a search--there have been other threads on this. And FXD2003Rider has some fastener-size lists going.

It makes sense to begin w/ a specially put together emergency roadside tool kit.

My own roadside kit is a work in process and an eclectic collection of odds & ends, for now. It includes a 6-way screwdriver w/ extra hex & Torx bits, a few combo wrenches, a medium adjustable wrench, small Vise-Grips, Leatherman, tire pressure gauge, small LED "head"-light, duct tape, sealant, Loctite, Ty-Raps, line, wire, electrical tape, lighter, 1st aid kit, spare ear plugs, microfiber cloth, rag, TP, Oklahoma credit card, a bunch of other stuff I can't remember @ the moment. Plus I always carry a lock-blade knife.

I like the L-shaped Allen & Torx wrenches for their light weight and small size (and they're cheap).

Additionally I'm looking for some type of flat-repair kit (for laced wheels w/ tubes).

Old 03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lo-rider

Additionally I'm looking for some type of flat-repair kit (for laced wheels w/ tubes).
Real easy.

Tools sufficient to pull the tire off.

2 C-clamps large enough to reach over the tires. Place them 6"-8" apart and twist them tight until the bead breaks.

Buy 2 tire spoons, use them to remove the tire.

Tire patch kit for the tube.

Really small slot screw driver and pair of pliers to dig out and pull out whatever went through your tire to give you the flat.

Reverse the process and air up.

That is the correct way to fix it and what I would do.
This all can be done on the side of the road if needed. Throw your gear down to lay bike on your gear carefully to get at the tires.

Or carry fix-a-flat and have someone else do it.

Last edited by Jonesee; 03-04-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like my iPhone/wallet tool kit. Light and easy to carry!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Real easy.

Tools sufficient to pull the tire off.

2 C-clamps larger enough to reach over the tires. Place them 6"-8" apart and twist them tight until the bead breaks.

Buy 2 tire spoons, use them to remove the tire.

Tire patch kit for the tube.

Really small slot screw driver and pair of pliers to dig out and pull out whatever went through your tire to give you the flat.

Reverse the process and air up.

That is the correct way to fix it and what I would do.
This all can be done on the side of the road if needed. Throw your gear down to lay bike on your gear carefully to get at the tires.

Or carry fix-a-flat and have someone else do it.
Thanks Jonesee. It sure is a lot of gear to carry, isn't it?

Of course I know a lot of riders go to cast wheels for this very reason. But I like the looks of laced wheels, and already own two. Had a heavy duty tube installed when I replaced the rear tire. And have heard stories of guys successfully sealing the spoke nipple holes, so they can use a plug kit; probably NG once you make a spoke adjustment. Been looking for the smaller size Fix-a-flat.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:44 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Do a search on here for that and you will find a ton of posts and good ideas on this.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

I ride a Dyna. All the tools and air compressor easily fit in the throw over saddle bags I use. (the saddle bags are small on the dyna because of the outboard shocks) Over the years I've added and subtracted from what I carry and think I've got it about right for my bike. There isn't much I can't do to the bike when I am on the road.

I have alloy wheels. Although I like the spokes better, alloy is a breeze to fix if you have a tire leak. Plug it, air it up, haul azz...

I use t-bags for my personal gear. Everything gets stripped off when I reach my destination.

Last edited by Jonesee; 03-04-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:50 PM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tvol
Anyone ever put together a list of common tools ( sizes, ect...) one may need to keep with them for a Harley? Im planning a long trip and wanted to put together a tool kit to keep with me.
Several aftermarket companies have taken the time and trouble to create a "kit" for the Harley. Oddly enough they even post on the web site exactly what is in the kit. I just built one based on their specs, but used Craftsman tools. Try this.

http://www.cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html

Quick Reply: Tool Kit?