Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

laconia bike week

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
nutter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laconia bike week

im 20 and this will be my first year going, i live about 2 hours away but im not sure if i should try to get a place near there or not. dont know what to expect when i get there or what there is to do caus i cant go to the bars(not a big drinker anyway). any info on what to expect and what there is to do would be great. im also trying to fnd people to ride there with since none of my friends have bikes

Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All depends on what you are looking for. Weirs is the place most go, bikes, wimmen, and a lot of vendors. Wednesday is hill climb day at Gunstock, there are rides through out the north country all week. Hang out at Laconia HD. You can do better staying away from Laconia and riding to Laconia or where ever you want to go.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Default it's over rated

Been going to Laconia since I was 20 too, but that was 38 yrs ago...haha The event has changed a lot over the years. It used to be tons of fun, people would park along the roadside all the way up and down the road to the Weirs, every stop had it's own party. Once we took a van with a keg in it, and just parked in one of those parking lots on the way up, and watched the mayhem. Burnouts, wheelies, tops off, everything a young man wants to see HAHA Once, a group blocked off the road in 2 places with cars, so no cops could get in, and proceeded to back 2 junk cars into the road, and burned the tires flat on them, cops were at the roadblocks, but the crowd wouldn't let them through. After a while, they torched one of the cars, and rolled it into a local parking lot. Finally the cops got through, and eveyone scattered, the cops were scratching their heads, wondering who to blame!! LOL We had a total blast sipping our keg, watching it all go down. And this type of stuff went on for all hours of the night..There was barely a quiet moment between the burnouts...

These days, it nothing more than a carnival, absolutely NO roadside parking anywhere! No more burnouts, etc. Last year I saw a Sate cop reaming out some poor biker for flicking his cigarette in the gutter!!!
I am not kidding, can you imagine that, she made him clean up all the butts in the area. WTF is that about?? Now people bring their families, which is ok with me, but when you see young couples with a baby carriages walking next to extra loud pipes, I have to shake my head, and wonder why I still keep going... It really is more like a carnival now than a bike event. If you want to stay anywhere near the Weirs, you will have to pay up the arzzz, gone are the days of $75 rooms at bikeweek.
If the weather is good, that's always a big "if", it sometimes gets so crowded, than it can take 2 hours to get near the beach, stay away on the weekend unless you want to sit in traffic all day!
I called around last year, and most places wanted $200+ per night!

The last time I stayed over up there 2 yrs back, sitting on the deck, I was surprised to hear a burnout off in the distance, one of the only ones I heard that night!! Get out of line at all, in any way, and the cops will take you aside and give you sheet. All afternoon, and into the evening the state police would walk up and down the rows of bikes entering the beach area, getting up in poeples face, smelling for alcohol or whatever. It's suck riding your bike to the Weirs, and have to deal with several cops in your face, just to get by them!! The place has changed so much, it's barely fun anymore. I liked the old days, when anything went, pretty much. Unless you were being a total ***, they would leave you alone.

Maybe it's just me being older, but Laconia Bike Week has lost it's lustre for sure. I suppose it's ok, if you want to walk around for hours looking at endless t shirt vendors, and junk dealers. There are some booths where you can see some nice customs, and buy some decent parts, but they are far and few between.

Hope this doesn't sour your trip, but it's just the way I see it..

Now I find it much more enjoyable taking a ride around the lake, or somewhere besides the Weirs..

Oh, I totally forgot why most people used to go there, the motorcyle races, and hill climbs, etc, they should still be a good time..
The rest of it is carney land..

Peace
Rags

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM
508DieHard
Advanced

im in the same boat bro 21 i live in mass but none of my friends my age have bikes i plan on going up on the weekend figure thats when ill see the most ***&**** lol its preety expensive to rent up there plus i think most places to stay at have a week minimum if im not mistaken and youll probably want to leave after 3 days what part of mass you from

Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Mlake
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going up with group of about a dozen guys, most are under 30. We'll be heading up 24. I'm not sure which day we are leaving, or where you guys are from, but anyone is more than welcome to tag along, as long as you don't ride like an a$$hole. As for not having anyone to ride with when your up there, don't worry about it. If you go to one of the laconia sites and look at the schedule, you will see that there are group rides planned for every day. Just show up, and ride with the group. There is so much to do, you won't get bored. When it comes to where to stay, look into camping. Spots are relatively cheap if you can find one.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 PM
nutter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 508DieHard
what part of mass you from
im from Lowell ,and thanks for the open invite mlake

Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 PM
508DieHard
Advanced

im from the south shore brockton to be exact

Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 PM
508DieHard
Advanced

Originally Posted by nutter
im from Lowell ,and thanks for the open invite mlake
your about an hour away i just started riding so i just waiting for april to get here it'd be cool to start a group ride every one i know with a Harley in there 40s and most my friends dont ride which sucks lol

Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 PM
nutter
Cruiser

same here i just started rideing in november got to clock a lil over 1000 miles before the snow came, rode with my friends parents a few times wich was a good time but it be nice to ride with people my own age

Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Been going to Laconia since I was 20 too, but that was 38 yrs ago...haha The event has changed a lot over the years. It used to be tons of fun, people would park along the roadside all the way up and down the road to the Weirs, every stop had it's own party. Once we took a van with a keg in it, and just parked in one of those parking lots on the way up, and watched the mayhem. Burnouts, wheelies, tops off, everything a young man wants to see HAHA Once, a group blocked off the road in 2 places with cars, so no cops could get in, and proceeded to back 2 junk cars into the road, and burned the tires flat on them, cops were at the roadblocks, but the crowd wouldn't let them through. After a while, they torched one of the cars, and rolled it into a local parking lot. Finally the cops got through, and eveyone scattered, the cops were scratching their heads, wondering who to blame!! LOL We had a total blast sipping our keg, watching it all go down. And this type of stuff went on for all hours of the night..There was barely a quiet moment between the burnouts...

These days, it nothing more than a carnival, absolutely NO roadside parking anywhere! No more burnouts, etc. Last year I saw a Sate cop reaming out some poor biker for flicking his cigarette in the gutter!!!
I am not kidding, can you imagine that, she made him clean up all the butts in the area. WTF is that about?? Now people bring their families, which is ok with me, but when you see young couples with a baby carriages walking next to extra loud pipes, I have to shake my head, and wonder why I still keep going... It really is more like a carnival now than a bike event. If you want to stay anywhere near the Weirs, you will have to pay up the arzzz, gone are the days of $75 rooms at bikeweek.
If the weather is good, that's always a big "if", it sometimes gets so crowded, than it can take 2 hours to get near the beach, stay away on the weekend unless you want to sit in traffic all day!
I called around last year, and most places wanted $200+ per night!

The last time I stayed over up there 2 yrs back, sitting on the deck, I was surprised to hear a burnout off in the distance, one of the only ones I heard that night!! Get out of line at all, in any way, and the cops will take you aside and give you sheet. All afternoon, and into the evening the state police would walk up and down the rows of bikes entering the beach area, getting up in poeples face, smelling for alcohol or whatever. It's suck riding your bike to the Weirs, and have to deal with several cops in your face, just to get by them!! The place has changed so much, it's barely fun anymore. I liked the old days, when anything went, pretty much. Unless you were being a total ***, they would leave you alone.

Maybe it's just me being older, but Laconia Bike Week has lost it's lustre for sure. I suppose it's ok, if you want to walk around for hours looking at endless t shirt vendors, and junk dealers. There are some booths where you can see some nice customs, and buy some decent parts, but they are far and few between.

Hope this doesn't sour your trip, but it's just the way I see it..

Now I find it much more enjoyable taking a ride around the lake, or somewhere besides the Weirs..

Oh, I totally forgot why most people used to go there, the motorcyle races, and hill climbs, etc, they should still be a good time..
The rest of it is carney land..

Peace
Rags

I agree, I live in the White mountains which is under an hour ride to Laconia and I haven't been to it it years. It is a carnival with stupid people showing just how stupid they really are. I go to the Americade every year in NY, I enjoy this rally because of its rides and events. I can ride in scenic NH any week and sitting in traffic from Center Harbor to the Weirs to buy a tee shirt and watch people wear things they should not wear is a waste of my time. If I was you, I would stop in one day, buy your tee shirt, then continue to the White mountains and Coastal Maine points. That is worth seeing. Visit Lake "Wini" when the retards go home.

Quick Reply: laconia bike week