General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEADS UP! traveling to bike week.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011 | 06:18 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Jump off I-75 at Macon to I-16 south to GA 19 south on US23/US1 to Jacksonville,Fl. South on I-295 to I-95 to Daytona. or like already mention US 17 along the seaboard.

Old 03-03-2011 | 06:46 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior

So what the hell does stopping motorcycles at checkpoints do to promote safety for a bunch of jackasses driving cages drinking coffee, putting on makeup, and surfing the internet on their phones.
I say start stopping the cars and stick a cutout of a biker around their car and quiz there asses if they can see me now...

Old 03-03-2011 | 07:01 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior

The other problem with all this crap all states have different laws . So Georgia must be a DOT helmet law state cause Florida is not. It's just a 100% money grab plain and simple and this is a bill we can support please read:

11NR09 - MRF News Release - United States House of Representatives Bill to Prohibit Funding for Motorcycle Checkpoints

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
03 March 2011

Contact: Jeff Hennie <mailto:jeff@mrf.org> , Vice President of Government Relations and Public Affairs

United States House of Representatives Bill to Prohibit Funding for Motorcycle Checkpoints

Today in Washington, Representative Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) introduced legislation, H.R. 904, a bill to prohibit the United States Department of Transportation funding for motorcycle-only roadside checkpoints. Representatives Tom Petri (R-W) and Paul Ryan (R-W) are original co-sponsors.

Last year, the USDOT set aside a pool of federal monies to fund motorcycle-only roadside checkpoints. One grant was awarded to the state of Georgia in the amount of $70,000. The Georgia Department of Public Safety, through the Georgia State Patrol, plan to begin the motorcycle-only checkpoints this spring, targeting motorcyclists heading to Daytona, Florida for bike week.

The grant was supplied by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) whose goal is supposed to be accident avoidance not injury reduction. Clearly motorcycle checkpoints do not promote accident avoidance. H.R. 904 will not stop the Georgia checkpoints, only future funding of motorcycle checkpoints.

"We introduced this important piece of legislation because Secretary LaHood and NHTSA remain adamant that mandating helmet use will prevent motorcycle crashes," Sensenbrenner said. "The first step in motorcycle crash prevention should be rider education and increased awareness. Taxpayer money should not be spent on helmet checkpoints that do not prevent crashes."

The Motorcycle Riders Foundation thanks Congressmen Sensenbrenner, Petri and Ryan for their support and defense of the motorcyclists of this country.

The MRF urges you to contact your Representatives and ask them to co-sponsor H.R. 904. You can reach your Representative through the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121.

Attached Thumbnails HEADS UP!  traveling to bike week.-greyhair.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011 | 07:56 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain

This is why I like the backroads.

Old 03-04-2011 | 06:11 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior

BIG BROTHER is watching you!!!!!

CROC 'o ****

Attached Thumbnails HEADS UP!  traveling to bike week.-bertha-001.jpg  
Old 03-04-2011 | 09:12 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior

have all your paper work ready and in a easy to reach spot so u can just hand it to those azzholes and be on your way, make sure your helmet is dot legal. what do pipes have to do with safetly??

Old 03-04-2011 | 10:55 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

So is there a provision that motorcycles from WV can just roll on through these because WE ALREADY HAVE TO PASS A YEARLY SAFETY INSPECTION!!!!!! I guess I could just pull in and point to the sticker and say "Seee'ya!!!!".

Edit: WV motorcycles are "suppose" to be inspected every year....However, I've been known to miss a year here and there.