General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some charging system help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM
hellboyrich
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some charging system help

2002 Dyna,only has battery voltage when engine is running,stator puts out 18 vac at idle,has around 34 vac at 2k,and has 53 or so vac at 3k.It has .03 ohm at two wire plug.BUT- here is the problem,but wires in the stator plug have continuity to ground! So is the stator junk,even though ac voltages are good??
Thanks in advance for any help.
Rich

Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The a/c voltage you describe is right for the rpm. It sounds like your regulator is bad if your d/c voltage is not above 12 volts. It should actually put out between 12 and 13 volts at a high idle. I never bothered to check continuity because If the stator is putting out those voltages in a/c it is doing it's job right. Regulator changes a/c voltage to d/c voltage. I had a battery go dead on my wide glide and went through all the a/c checks and bike was putting out similar voltages a/c. When regulator was plugged into the stator I got 13 volts at 1200 rpm to the battery. When rpm went to 2000 the voltage fell below 12 volts. I would have never caught that if I hadn't been watching the meter when I brought up the rpm. I wasn't expecting a d/c voltage drop off. I replaced the regulator---problem fixed. The regulator had a small burn out in the corner against the back plate that wasn't visible till removed. Apparently the regulator would open up and drop d/c volts as load and rpm increased. Hope that helps. Texas boy backsliding Baptist.

Last edited by oldairboater; 03-03-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
hellboyrich
Intermediate
Default well.....

I replaced the regulator because they are cheap and easy to change-didn't fix ****!!So I guess primary is comin off to change the stator-WTF!!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Sounds like the stator died on you. A good aftermarket would be from Cycle Electric for the stator and rectifier/regulator.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the bike is putting out a/c voltage the stator is working at the rpm's you describe. Unless it is dieing under load and I don't know how to test for that off of the top of my head.
Originally Posted by hellboyrich
I replaced the regulator because they are cheap and easy to change-didn't fix ****!!So I guess primary is comin off to change the stator-WTF!!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

You should not have any continuity between the the 2 connections coming out of the stator to ground . Double check your meter setting and test it again , if you can ground one meter lead to the case and touch either socket on the stator and have a reading it's shorting to ground sorry man . New stator time .

Old 03-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

The Stator connector should have three wires. There should be continuity (very low resistance) between all three wires and infinite to ground. If there is continuity between all three wires but you get a high (thousands of ohms) resistance to ground; sometimes it is possible to clean the Stator. The Stator is cooled by the oil. Similar to some big rig trucks 30SI Series Alternators) and buses (50 DN Alternators). Because a Stator can get fairly warm it can actually cook the oil that comes in contact with the Stator. The residue can short the Stator to ground. This is a fairly common failure scenario on 50 DN Alternators and since these alternators can cost thousands to rebuild . . .

Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
hellboyrich
Intermediate

My Dyna is a 2002,the three wire stators started in 2004( I believe),mine has two and there is .03 ohms wire to wire,but there is continuity from each wire to ground,which is a no-no! But it's the good A/C voltage that has me stumped!! The A/C volts at a given rpm are right where HD manuals say it should be!I'm gonna replace the stator,only 100 bucks or so,and about an hour and a half,not too big a deal,I just wish I had a more definate reason to replace it!!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

The rubber on the leads degrades with time & heat and you can carbon arcing to ground usually were the plug is pushed up into the case opening or were they come off the windings .Sometimes the set screw is in too far and vibration finally wore through to a pin It's just a matter of time before it smokes for real .

Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I went through hell with this last year. Replaced the voltage regulator and battery, and still had problems with the bike dying. I didn't want it to be the stator, but it was.

Quick Reply: Need some charging system help