General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Service Plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011 | 07:04 PM
stevepacman
|
Road Master
Question Extended Service Plans

IWS - Intercontinental Warranty Services, Inc.

Anyone have any experience with this company?

I have an opportunity to purchase an extended warranty plan that covers everything my factory extended service plan did, but for less money since it's offered through my credit union.

Just looking for some feedback, thanks.

Old 03-02-2011 | 09:53 PM
oct1949
Club Member

never heard of them...

Old 03-02-2011 | 11:03 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer

after 30 years in the repair business, one of the things Ive learned is to drive way clear of off brand extended warranties. Most of them have loopholes big enough to ride a bus through, such as-you pay and we'll (eventually ) pay you back-maybe...and, oh, its only accepted at the place you bought your vehicle.
Id read the fine print ...all of it

Old 03-03-2011 | 12:12 AM
Rickl
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sr_smyth
after 30 years in the repair business, one of the things Ive learned is to drive way clear of off brand extended warranties. Most of them have loopholes big enough to ride a bus through, such as-you pay and we'll (eventually ) pay you back-maybe...and, oh, its only accepted at the place you bought your vehicle.
Absolutely an excellent point. Many of these policies are sold with the impression that you just take the vehicle in where you want and get it fixed. The problem then pops up when you try to pick it up. Most places won't sit on the invoice waiting for their money. They will expect the owner to pay the bill and the file the claim with their policy underwriter. Having been burnt (as a service provider) over the years from these fly by nights, I refused to deal with them. I always had the customer pay me and request the money from their insurance provider. Your best to get an extended warranty from a reputable seller that you can get references on. Or save the money you would spend, invest it in a mutual fund and let it earn some money. Maybe you can't reach out and touch it the next day, but getting insurance claims processed takes time too.

Old 03-03-2011 | 05:25 AM
garand
Road Master

I NEVER do service plans. True they save some people's **** when the unexpected occurs, but think of this: If the warranty company wasn't making money off of you then they'd be out of business. Most poeple will never get their money's worth. It's all a risk factor, and when you calculate the actual risk you're really only risking a few hundred dollars by not spending the $1000+ on a warranty. Some people find the premium to be a good peace of mind. I find that actually having money saved for repairs to give me a peace of mind. I self-insure when it comes to vehicle repairs. Then again, it also pays to be mechanically inclined.

Old 03-03-2011 | 09:50 AM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain
PM sent.

Old 03-03-2011 | 08:34 PM
stevepacman
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by sr_smyth
This company pays the repair facility directly with a $25 deductable - as long as they are ASE certified. I DID read the fine print and found they exclude the primary cam chain and tensioner and the primary chain and tensioner.

It's alomost 1/3 the cost of the Harley Extended Service Plan. My scoot has 64,000 miles on her. It's almost worth it if something huge comes apart like the tranny, crank, clutch assembly, etc.

I agree it's a risk and most people don't wind up using it but how many folks have the money saved for repairs?