General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed!! Super glue on my gas tank disaster!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 PM
RedhouseNorton
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed!! Super glue on my gas tank disaster!!!

Hey y'all . Joined the boards recently but Ive been lurking for quite some time. I will hit the new members area and do the introduction stuff , but I had a disaster last night and I need some quick advice.
My 3 year old son got super glue all over one side of my gas tank last night !!! I wiped it off immediately , but Ive got some pretty serious streaking residue. I need to know the best way to try and get it off. I tried warm soapy water , goo gone , and rubbing alcohol all with no avail. A buddy of mine said to use finger nail polish remover , but I want to make sure its not gonna harm the paint. Any other tips are greatly appreciated!!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got to ask. Did your boy get it on him?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Tough thing, anything that will remove super glue will remove clear coat (and paint).

You might want to run it up to a body shop and see if they can help.

You could try some Sticker Shock on a rag and let it soak before carefully rubbing it off.

Going to be a pain in the *** no matter what.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Thats a first in here...

Ding, Ding, Ding... winner, Newbie ask a question never asked......

Whats U motorcycle deductible limits... oppps. Its not funny but I did get a giggle out of this one, I can see it happening with my grand chrildren too.

Seriously:
At work there was a super glue remover, but don't know what it would do to the paint.... mostly used for parts and fingers. Might call a Hardware store to see if they have something after calling a paint store for help.

Hope it comes off.

Welcome to the Forum and safe riding.
From Indiana

Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I think any solvent (i.e., acetone) that would remove the super glue residue would also attack the paint.

If you wiped the super glue before it was dry and all that's remaining is a very thin residue causing the streaks, I'd try some polishing compound first and if that isn't quite aggresive enough then 1500G sandpaper followed by polishing.

If you're not comfortable with this process a painter or body shop guy should be able to help you out.

Ultimately, your options are going to be limited by the severity, but from the way you described it, I think this process would work fine.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

If you go to a hobby shop there is a product made specifically to remove super glue (cyanocrylate). Ask for this and test it on the paint before you use alot of it, but it does work well and has not ruinmed the finish on anything that I have used it on before.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sell the kid and fix the bike LOL! I have super glued my fingers together a few times and finger polish remove works, but not sure about on paint. You might want to wet sand it with like 2000 grit and then polish in out.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

PRetty sure I'd get the bike to a good paint shop. This is no time for any guessing, once its done, you aint going back. One thing ya might do if your on good terms with your dealer, go ask if they might have some damaged tins that perhaps you could borrow to try any attmpts on them first. Pretty sure, your going to need fresh paint. Keep us informed.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

You might try rubbing compound...prolly have to do the whole tank to keep it the same You will have to use polish after the compound

Quick Reply: Help needed!! Super glue on my gas tank disaster!!!