General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed!! Super glue on my gas tank disaster!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

If you got the bulk of it off before it dried you might catch a break with a decent (meguiars) rubbing compound. Next to that, go to a body shop.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
If you got the bulk of it off before it dried you might catch a break with a decent (meguiars) rubbing compound. Next to that, go to a body shop.

Good luck.
smeared SG is probably worse than just left in a blob...cause now its all over the place instead of just a little spot...

Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,257 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Doesn't say in your profile info on your post where you live. If it's California you should leave it alone and go to a few bike nights.

You could start a trend and people would be willing to pay your Grand kid to do their tanks too.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I think any solvent (i.e., acetone) that would remove the super glue residue would also attack the paint.

If you wiped the super glue before it was dry and all that's remaining is a very thin residue causing the streaks, I'd try some polishing compound first and if that isn't quite aggresive enough then 1500G sandpaper followed by polishing.

If you're not comfortable with this process a painter or body shop guy should be able to help you out.

Ultimately, your options are going to be limited by the severity, but from the way you described it, I think this process would work fine.
I use acetone when assembling golf clubs to finish off the plastic ferule. I've wiped it on painted heads without any damage to the finish & it will remove a thin film of crazy glue. Try it on a spot under the seat or under the dash just to be sure.

Edit, OK here you go:
Instant Krazy Glue® can be removed with acetone. Acetone is the key ingredient in most nail polish removers. You can also find acetone at your local hardware or paint store. Apply the solvent to a paper towel and place it on the stain until the glue has softened. The softened glue can then be removed with a clean dry towel. Always test the solvent on an inconspicuous area first to check for discoloration or compatibility issues.

http://www.krazyglue.com/faq/

Here are directions for car paint:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7441159_remo...-glue-car.html

It's a little confusing as they say don't use it on paint at the end. maybe the soap & water treatment will work.

Last edited by golfblues; 03-02-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The active ingredient in any commercial "super glue remover" or nail polish remover is acetone. Assuming this is a modern catalyzed clear topcoat paint job, such as a factory paint job, acetone is not going to ruin it. Of course, test it out on an inconspicuous place to be sure. It might dull the clear coat a little but just polish it out by hand with automotive POLISHING compound after you get the superglue off. DON’T USE RUBBING compound.
If the acetone does bite into the clear, you can use good quality automotive fine wet sand papers to sand off the superglue. Use a hard rubber or cork sanding block to support the sandpaper and just kiss the areas where the superglue is until it’s off. Don’t use the sandpaper unsupported (IOW don’t use just your hand or fingers) or you’ll be following the contours of the “hills and valleys” of the superglue and your paint job. You want to knock off the high spots (superglue) and not touch the low spots (your paint job). Obviously, follow the contours of your tank or you'll flat spot the paint. I would start with 600 wet sandpaper to get the glue off, then go to 1500 and higher until the paint is shiny again. Then use polishing compound to polish it to a mirror finish.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am thinking maybe WD40? The oil base might just do the job. Worth a shot.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:02 PM
bmf73
Advanced

My first thought like alot of others would be acetone. It will take the super glue off and shouldn't hurt the paint. I used to work in a chemical manufacturing plant and we used pure acetone to clean everything, painted surfaces, plastics, fiber glass, and anything else. I brought some home and used it to clean some pine sap off the hood of my truck, without any problems.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 PM
mgg126x
Advanced

Try Castle's ShopSolv. The stuff is safe on paint and can get very strong adhesive to wipe away. I know my local dealership uses it.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A good heat gun may soften it enough to wipe off with WD-40.

Quick Reply: Help needed!! Super glue on my gas tank disaster!!!