General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackline softail

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
tattyzapper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2011 Blackline yesterday, in Black. I'm new to riding HD or Cruisers for that matter (always rode sport bikes). After reading all the posts on here I'm hoping I didn't make the wrong decision. I already made one wrong decision, I bought a 48 last week and never test drove it, once it was in my hands and I took it for a scoot I realized that it wasn't big enough for me. It was fast as a whip and was fun burning around the city on it, and I really, really, loved the look of the bike but it was too small for me. I immediately took it back the next morning and traded it right away for the blackline that I was eye balling the whole time I was buying the 48.

Needless to say I took the Blackline for a test drive first and I really liked it, it was a really nice comfy ride and I actually enjoy being stretched out on it. I think it's a nice looking bike, I can't stand the handles bars though, they need to be changed and so do the pipes, they are also really ugly. I also agree that the rear tail light/plate holder section is horrible looking too.

So before I even get it from the dealer I am customizing it. I went today and had them change the handle grips, foot pegs, lower the *** end, stage 1, and Vance & Hines straight shots being put on it. I also got rid of the rear tail light and plate holder in exchange for a side mount. I know you are all curious as to seeing the mods, so I will post them as soon as I get my bike, should be a couple days, then we will see what you guys think.

I'm really hoping to put new bars on it ASAP and can't wait for something else to come out.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:06 PM
tattyzapper
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Kowan
Yes those are custom made to fit. He posted a thread in the Softail section.
That's great, thanks for the reply. I will check those out for sure.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you love it, that's what counts.
I have a FXCWC that many here think is ugly. I could care less and I've gotten nothing but compliments since I got it.

I think if I got a Blackline, I'd replace the triple trees to mount aftermarket bars in a conventional way. Along with a digital speedo, it would start looking like a bike I could enjoy.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
tattyzapper
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Kowan
As long as you love it, that's what counts.
I have a FXCWC that many here think is ugly. I could care less and I've gotten nothing but compliments since I got it.

I think if I got a Blackline, I'd replace the triple trees to mount aftermarket bars in a conventional way. Along with a digital speedo, it would start looking like a bike I could enjoy.
I loved it when I test rode it, like I said I'm new to riding cruisers and I don't know any better lol.

Im definitely looking to change those triple trees and bars.

As far as your bike goes, if it's the one in the pic, it's beautiful dude.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 AM
ReesePeace
Novice

I traded up to the Blackline from a 1200 Sporty and i am crazy about it. I went ahead with the stage 1, and put a Rush long series complete exhaust. They look, and sound great. I want to eventually go with apes, i think they should have been stock on a bike like this.

Last edited by ReesePeace; 06-02-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
tattyzapper
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ReesePeace
I traded up to the Blackline from a 1200 Sporty and i am crazy about it. I went ahead with the stage 1, and put a Rush long series complete exhaust. They look, and sound great. I want to eventually go with apes, i think they should have been stock on a bike like this.
The Rush long series look real good on your bike for sure. I totally agree that this bike needs apes. I think I'm going to move the speedo back to the tank and change out the triple trees, so I can put new bars on instead of waiting for aftermarket ones to come out.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Le Vizir
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Really nice pic Reesepeace..! (And really nice bike too for sure..;-))

Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Any FXST-based bike is going to be cool. they are the essence of Harley...

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Ockam
Tourer

I took a Blackline out for a test ride from Hannum's HD in Media two weekends ago. The bike was an awesome ride. They had put on a Stage II SE Heavy Breather and V&H Pipes.

Tell you what, with the posture that bike puts you in when you ride, you feel bad *** and ready to tear up the road. It was a great aggressive look and a sweet handling bike.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,650 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I think it's ugly as hell. Looks , as many people have said, like it was thrown together from spare parts without any regard for aesthetics or flowing lines. Not as bad as the Rocker,still...

BUT.....

The biggest thing I don't understand--how could the Dave get rid of the most righteous looking sleds they ever made--the Nighttrain & the Softail Custom--in favor of THIS monstrocity? First of all--HARLEY--ARE YOU LISTENING??? Either learn to "bob" a rear fender correctly, or GET RID OF IT!! Tired of seein' it on a lot of their models. They totally ruined the WideGlide,Streetbob, & Sportster with it. And chuck the side mount plate. Looks great on a ground- up custom,dumb on a factory bike. Another thing I'm getting sick of is this trendy "blacked out dark custom" theme. IT'S PLAYED OUT GUYS!! BUT, if you're gonna do "blacked out" at least do it right, like,BELIEVE IT OR NOT--the ricers. Only thing I like about the Blackline is what everyone else hates--the rear tire. Hate that bloated looking 200. And the air cleaner. About time they dumped the football & brought back the circle.

Nope;not for me. If I were to buy new, it would be the Deluxe. Best looking bike they make now,along with the RoadKing & Superglide Custom. Elegant,gorgeous, & a true Classic.

Last edited by dickey; 06-03-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Blackline softail