General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona lodging

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest a mom and pop place on US1 between Flagler and New Smyrna - take your pick there are plenty. The beachside will cost more - pay for the view.

Weahter has been perfect - slight chance of rain sun but that could always change. We have had a very dry winter so when ever there is a chance they hype it up. They started putting up the massive Harley tent on Beach St. That will be my 1st stop on my way home from work fri. I love to look at the CVO's and the other bikes they deck out with all the HD goodies. Have a safe trip.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be careful of just parking in any lot you find. You could get your cage hauled off and have to pay a fee to get it back. Course I don't know how they would haul it off in all that traffic, but might cause you some flack.

I know that the Leesburg Event (about a month later) has a Park and Shuttle service that puts you right within walking distance of everything.

Not sure about Daytona, anybody heard of such there ?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
I would be careful of just parking in any lot you find. You could get your cage hauled off and have to pay a fee to get it back. Course I don't know how they would haul it off in all that traffic, but might cause you some flack.

I know that the Leesburg Event (about a month later) has a Park and Shuttle service that puts you right within walking distance of everything.

Not sure about Daytona, anybody heard of such there ?

No shuttle in Daytona I have ever seen. The event is too spread out.
If you are driving a car:
Park at Dest. Daytona for free for your visit there.

At the Iron Horse,grab any close lot that is renting out their space around there. From there you can visit the Horse and the vendors.

For Main Street:
Avoid the Main street bridge at all costs. Grab one of the bridges to the north or south.
During the peak of Bikeweek, Main will be closed to cars anyway. Run up the streets that run parrallel but 1-2 blocks north and south of Main. Wind your way around back in there and you will find someplace. Almost all open property is converted to paid parking. Pay the money and walk.

Of the 3 locations, Main Street offers the most diverse and most to do.
Dest Daytona is all about bikes and accessories.
The Iron Horse is just a must see bar. You will see why when you are there.
My favorite bar on Main is Boot Hill. Old, and dirty, just like me.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:57 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by Jonesee
.... .....
Thanks man I saved this whole post. This will be my first bike week in more years than many of you have been alive. So this is good info to have.

We plan on going to Leesburg also next month, it's a lot nearer to where I live.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
surveyor
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fttboy
Hey guys, need advice, not looking for a room. My son is in school in Orlando. Wife & I are flying down for a few days to visit, we thought Daytona would be a great day trip on Saturday the 12th for the three of us.
We will be in the rental cage. Wanted any advice on where to go. Where to park the cage. Just want to go and soak it all up. Not been there before & not familiar with Daytona.
Thanks in advance. Fleck
You can park you cage right at the east end of the Main Street for $10. would suggest getting there before noon as the later in the day it gets the longer it takes to get to it from any direction. Never had a problem getting a spot there. Have fun!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain

This year it may not be -just- be the Iron Horse Saloon. The trip up from West and South may bring you some Iron Horse smoke. Here is Wed Night's news flash. (Mims is near the coast)

--begin news
The Iron Horse Fire, straddling the Volusia-Brevard county line, has moved swiftly since Monday through rural areas between Oak Hill and Mims. Dry brush and foliage, from hard freezes this winter, provided fuel.

In Volusia County, flames left charred ground and tree trunks burned at least 20 feet upward. Naked palmetto bushes looked like blackened pieces of ginger root twisted on the ground.

Volusia Fire Services Battalion Cmdr. Rhett Bradley looked for damage along property, which belongs to the Miami Corp., owner of 57,00 acres in Volusia and Brevard counties.

"The rain knocked it down pretty good," Bradley said of the fire. "[But] there are still a lot of hot spots."
---End news

Hopefully the trip there won't be hampered with slow traffic due to poor visibility. If the wind would die down some it would help. Maybe we will get a few showers over it, since it is awful dry. Otherwise Spring is here in Florida and late afternoon and evening temps are great now. It's only in the mid 80's at high noon. Mowed the grass yesterday and barely broke a sweat.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:17 AM
fttboy
Intermediate

Thanks guys, lots of help. I appreciate the insight. Looking forward to going and since we have such a short time there and too much to see, it helps to plan ahead.
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 PM
ccurry933
3rd Gear

There are still rooms availible. In Daytona and surrounding areas. Iam in louisville ky and leaving for Daytona wed. the 9th. I am from Uniontown pa

Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

mims is no where near iron horse saloon...they screwed up calling the fire that. Confuses people.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 AM
CoyoteMoss
Advanced

Have the exact same situation, won't know if I can go until wed 9th. Never been. Think I can search for room wednesday and get reservations, but then think I might come out cheaper just finding a random place?? Some good info here, but still have concerns about getting stuck in hours of traffic on my bike and getting there with no place to sleep.

Quick Reply: Daytona lodging