Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best LED turn signals replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Best LED turn signals replacements

Who has experience replacing the standard 1156 and 1157 bulbs from the bullet style signal lights and substituting LED replacements? I now have smoked lenses all the way around, as well as on the Bright *** tail light. I would like amber LEDs for the front but red LEDs for the back, as I have the Harley running light kit for the rear lights as also brake and signal lights.

Which are the "good ones"?

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Last summer I bought the HD LED tail light assembly for my FLHRS. I installed it and was very impressed with it. I especially liked the "clear look" when not in operation and the sharpness/brightness during the day and night.

I have the Bullet style turn signals - front & rear - and HD didn't offer the LED light kits for these fixtures.

I ran across some Street Magic kits from Eastern Performance Cycles on eBay so I bought 'em. It was truly a simple swap but I did have to make one modification: slicing the rubber seat on the fixture down with a razor so the OEM lamp covers would seat properly (stated in the instructions for some HD models).

I haven't installed them on the front yet because I'm saving the scratch to convert my head light and passing lamps to LED. So I run smoke lenses on the front and the clear lenses on the rear,

From the label on the package of the rear "Bullet Style" TS kits:

Street Magic
MTSA-1564-56
GEN-200-R-1156
Genesis Turn Sig Red

The front kits are not handy right now so I can't give you the numbers for the front TS.

If you don't have the Bullet TS they make 'em for other styles too.

I hope this helps ya'...

ETA: I've had no problems whatsoever with these LED lights. They are not amber during use/operation, they are red and they look great in my opinion...The front LED kits are amber lights, by the way...

Last edited by Night Crawler; 03-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks, Night Crawler. Anyone else?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 1156 & 1157 led's from the local auto zone. Don't remember the brand name, but they worked fine. You might need a load equalizer to avoid the fast blink syndrome, because led's draw very little current.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Smug
I got 1156 & 1157 led's from the local auto zone. Don't remember the brand name, but they worked fine. You might need a load equalizer to avoid the fast blink syndrome, because led's draw very little current.

Thanks, Smug. Were they brighter than the stock bulbs? If so, were they slightly or considerably brighter? Thanks again!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are much brighter. The ones I got have 12 individual leds clumped together. The diameter of the front or face of the bulb is the size of a quarter.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second Night Crawler's recommendation. The Genesis LED's from Street Magic are the brightest LED turn signals I've seen. I've seen the Kury's and other brands and they are not as bright as the Genesis lights.

I run the Genesis LEDs in the front and rear. I bought mine from Custom Dynamics. The only issue I ran in to was that the bullet style LEDs didn't fit in my turn signal housings. I took a Dremel and removed a very slight amount around the edge of the LED plate and they fit perfectly. I definitely recommend them.

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...gnal_retro.htm

Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Wynndaddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badlands. Also great customer service.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Great responses, all. Keep 'em coming! Thank you!!!!

Last edited by TORQUEY; 03-02-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

custom dynamics Street Magic here. I have the LED rear red turns and the taillight. These use the run stop turn with the flash feature. They are very bright, I would recommend they to anyone.
I have also just installed their Moon Eyes white running/turn light in the front. They are supliments to the amber OEM turnsignals, which I have not changed to LEDs yet.
all these are not real cheap in cost, but well worth the price.

Quick Reply: Best LED turn signals replacements