General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 AM
pedulla242
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problem

Hi everyone , have a 96" S&S evo , no go with starter , just click.

Battery fully charged . was going , but very slow turn over. Pretty high compression , so might need to look at better starter.

I am sure there will be heaps of suggestions , but if i was looking for upgraded starter , any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

The last time i had that clicking sound it was the battery,are you sure yours is holding its charge when you try to start the bike? if it is it could be a loose connection somewhere.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The starter solenoid is also a possibility.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,878 Likes on 3,515 Posts

Put the jumper cables to it to see if it's really the starter...

Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 AM
mjh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a similar problem. Fully charged battery and when you turn ignition key on there would be no voltage, so not lights, indicators or starting.
Checked all fuses, wires, etc. Turned out it was the battery.
Sometimes, and it is rare, the battery will create an "open" in the plates when a load is applied. This is what my battery did. When we installed a new battery - all is good.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

ck ground cable, mine did that click thing and it turnd out i had a loose ground cable.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

thinking to check out cables and battery first also. If its been fine/ok before, or did U just do more mods to the motor.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 AM
pedulla242
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone , the motor has had work , je pistone , head , crank etc .Approx 105hp .Compression around 195psi.
Checked all connections seem fine. Jumped lead form + battery to Solenoid small wire still click noise , so i think must be starter.Tried crossing the terminals on solenoid small spark but didn't do anything.
Started another thread asking for recommendations on new starter motors. New to this so not sure where to start threads.

Cheers Pete (Calling from New Zealand , away from the earthquakes we are having, 4000 since Sept 05 last year)

Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

In these cases it's almost always the battery. You can static test it with a volt meter and read over 12 volts, but what really counts is what it puts out under a load. And you need a load tester for that. What's the CCA (cold cranking amps) rating on the battery? Generally if it's not at least 270 CCAs (on a stock motor) you're going to have trouble eventually.

Jumping it off a car battery (never with the car running!!!) isn't a good test as the problem may be you have a cell going bad in your bike battery. So when it still doesn't start you erroneously and automatically start eyeballing the starter.

So pull the battery and get it load tested. In the States most auto parts store have battery load testers, but I don't if they do in Nzed. In lieu of that swap the battery out with a known good from a mate!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check all connections again positive and negative. By check that means remove them and clean them reinstall correctly. Piggy back a good second battery to your first with a good set of jumper cables. If your still getting clicking you can also bypass the solenoid if there is room to isolate just the starter. If all that fails then remove the starter. Probably brushes. There are several good reputable starters on the market. Rebuild yours or buy a new one. Be prepared to spend some change. What is your compression ratio? You may need compression releases if you have increased the compression a lot.

Quick Reply: Starter problem