General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lesson in Stage1

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Zac Strayer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A lesson in Stage1

Please bare with me as i had done my searches as i have sean many request we should do this and there is many threads on stage1 process.

Let me start by saying that i am pretty smart and understand things well. but i am new to the cycle world when it comes to Harely's. Since i have benn planning a new purchase for the last couple months i have been reading the hell out of these forums learning alot and even getting some owner manuals i can get my hands on from the web to see how their built and such.

But i need a lesson in understanding when,how and if you need a stage1 and what does stage2 consist of? if there is a stage2. lol

for example "and i could use this in 5th grade terms" so i dont need to ask more questions and waste your time.

Correct me if i am wrong.. if i put on a new a/c for better looks i need a stage1? or do i need too.. could i run without it or would it harm the bike?
what if i dont mess with the a/c and decide to just slap on some new full v/h exhausts. would i have to get a stage1? if not wold that harm the bike?
what other mods if i did would need me to get a stage1?
and so im sure a stage1 consists of a ECU and a tune since the a/c is breathing more air right?

you knwo what would be awesome if someoen could get me a link that would discribe exactly what they do and when i should do them or if i need too. that would be most appreciated.

Thsnkd for your time.

You can't Learn if you don't ask!
Zac

Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
2012UltraLimited
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try this link might be a little outdated but gives you the idea. . good luck

http://www.hdtalking.com/harley_davi...explained.html

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The whole "Stage" thing is generally just a way to break down performance upgrades into a progression.

Stage 1 is upgrading your intake, exhaust and tuning the bike properly for those upgrades.

Stages 2-? are just progressions from there. Usually Stage 2 is cams, Stage 3 is heads, and up from there. H-D sells specific upgrades to the motors and labels them in this way so you just know you are getting more for a 103" Stage 2 than a 103" Stage 1. Yay, marketing.

Now, you seem to want to do upgrades to your intake and exhaust. You can generally change the exhaust and not need to retune the bike. You can also generally change the intake and not need to retune the bike. In both cases, especially changing intake, you will probably benefit from a tune, but it isnt necessary. But if you do both upgrades, you really do need to retune the bike.