General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nationwide Safety Checks

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nationwide Safety Checks

Read this in the Feb/Mar issue of Freeriders Press (www.freeriderspress.us) Was planning on going thru GA to Talahassee next summer looks like that will change. Just don't need the hassle. Hey GA ya lost some tourist dollars here.
NHTSA Implements M o t o r c y c l e - O n l y Checkpoints Nationwide
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
(NHTSA) has ignored congressional requests to halt or delay a plan to implement and fund motorcycle-only checkpoints nationwide.
The first federally-funded checkpoints, dubbed "roadside
motorcycle safety checkpoints," will be launched by the Georgia Department of Public Safety, via a NHTSA grant to the Georgia State Patrol. NHTSA has implemented the checkpoint funding plan despite being asked by members of Congress not to fund the program until the merits were explained.
NHTSA has requested applications from law enforcement agencies across the country to conduct "safety checks" that specifically target motorcyclists to pull aside for a lengthy inspection of their vehicle, equipment and paperwork.
The New York State Police have been conducting motorcycle-only
checkpoints since 2007, often targeting major motorcycle events such as Americade. Seeking a legal remedy to stop the constitutionally questionable roadblocks, Aid to Injured Motorcyclists (A.I.M.) Attorney Mitchell Proner of NYC has filed a class action lawsuit against the NYSP and New York State on behalf of ABATE of New York and the National Coalition of Motorcyclists (NCOM). Proner believes the Federal Court will agree that the stops are designed primarily for law enforcement purposes as opposed to public safety purposes. "Rather than promoting any legitimate public safety concern, the checkpoints are intended to harass and intimidate motorcyclists attempting to attend motorcycle events thereby depriving them of their First Amendment right to freedom of assembly as well as their Fourth, Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment rights to due process, equal protection and freedom.

Must be more of the "Change" that was pomised

Old 02-28-2011, 03:50 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If I ever run into one of those, I'm gonna ask "Am I under arrest?"
When they say no, I'm riding away.