General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane placement and lisc requirements in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lane placement and lisc requirements in Texas

Observed what looked like a new rider. Paper tags, new helmet, and shiny new HD jacket. This rider appeared to be new and was maintaining a far right in his lane placement. I was always taught dominate your lane by riding left side of your lane. Staying out of blinds spots and usual rules observe,anticipate, adjust and evade. I have never taken a safety course and have no first hand knowledge of what is being taught now. I am not planning on attending a course so don't derail this thread over that. My question is to the riders in Texas who have just got their motorcycle endorsement. You are required to take a recognized riders course to get your endorsement--is that correct? What are you specifically taught if anything about lane placement and dominance of your lane. I am curious about but not curious enough to spend the time and money to take a course.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the MFS Basic course from Harris County College system in 2004 - nothing was said about where to ride in a lane, except how to take a blind curve.

I don't have any knowledge about whether one has to take the course to get an endorsement or not.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

MSF taught me to ride in the left "third" of the lane, [when riding solo] never ride in the middle.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:57 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am a MSF Instructor in Texas, although the curriculum is the same regardless of state. All MSF Instructors *should* teach the same thing regarding lane positions, with some variations depending on local laws.

We *are supposed to* teach the rider's that there is no single "best" lane placement...that it is fluid depending on a variety of factors and that it's up to the rider to determine the best position depending on the situation. Factors include your visibility to other drivers, your ability to SEE ahead of you, road conditions, traffic flow, etc. So, basically, we try to get them to understand there is no right answer to the question "what's the best place to ride in your lane?".

Personally, i prefer the left side of my lane, but will ride in the right or center if the conditions warrant. I would imagine most of us have a preference all other things being equal.

Lane sharing is illegal (not to mention, dangerous) in Texas. I recently taught with an instructor who, when the part regarding lane-placement came up, told the students that he often prefers to ride in the portion of his lane that discourages cagers who might decide to share his lane with him (i.e. ride side-by-side in one lane). In other words, on a 4 lane highway, assuming he's riding in the right lane of the 2 lanes going his direction - he will ride in the left 1/3 of his lane to hopefully keep cars out of his lane. He was quick to say, though, that riding to protect his lane is not always the most important or necessary reasoning for his lane placement.

As far as riding in a group in Texas, you could get ticketed for riding side-by-side with another biker (unless you're a motor-officer!) because that is considered lane-sharing.

Instructors encourage the students to "think" about all this stuff and to realize there is never any one "best" answer. Where the newb was riding wasn't "wrong" and my guess is he was staying far to the right because he felt more comfortable having more space between him and other vehicles. Perhaps after he gains more experience and has a few instances of cagers coming into his lane and pushing him onto the shoulder, he may decide dominating his lane is often the best choice. Experience is often the best teacher.

And yes, ever since Sept 2009, the State of Texas requires anyone who is wanting to get their M Endorsement to take the MSF Beginner Riders Course.

Last edited by monstead; 02-27-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The MSF course advises you to stay in the portion of the lane that gives you the best visibility to other drivers and obstacles for the situation at hand. Most of the time it's the left.

Edit: 3 minutes too late, and monstead covered it way better than I did anyway.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never took the course. Preference is center of the lane, bearing in mind to stay far enough behind so that the vehicle in front can see me in their mirrors should they "choose" to look. If it starts to rain I will gravitate to the right side of the lane (at least on a 2 lane road) so that the shoulder will give me an escape. On a multilane road I will assess my options. A ditch always beats oncoming traffic IMHO

Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by monstead
I am a MSF Instructor in Texas, although the curriculum is the same regardless of state. All MSF Instructors *should* teach the same thing regarding lane positions, with some variations depending on local laws.

We *are supposed to* teach the rider's that there is no single "best" lane placement...that it is fluid depending on a variety of factors and that it's up to the rider to determine the best position depending on the situation. Factors include your visibility to other drivers, your ability to SEE ahead of you, road conditions, traffic flow, etc. So, basically, we try to get them to understand there is no right answer to the question "what's the best place to ride in your lane?".

Personally, i prefer the left side of my lane, but will ride in the right or center if the conditions warrant. I would imagine most of us have a preference all other things being equal.

Lane sharing is illegal (not to mention, dangerous) in Texas. I recently taught with an instructor who, when the part regarding lane-placement came up, told the students that he often prefers to ride in the portion of his lane that discourages cagers who might decide to share his lane with him (i.e. ride side-by-side in one lane). In other words, on a 4 lane highway, assuming he's riding in the right lane of the 2 lanes going his direction - he will ride in the left 1/3 of his lane to hopefully keep cars out of his lane. He was quick to say, though, that riding to protect his lane is not always the most important or necessary reasoning for his lane placement.

As far as riding in a group in Texas, you could get ticketed for riding side-by-side with another biker (unless you're a motor-officer!) because that is considered lane-sharing.

Instructors encourage the students to "think" about all this stuff and to realize there is never any one "best" answer. Where the newb was riding wasn't "wrong" and my guess is he was staying far to the right because he felt more comfortable having more space between him and other vehicles. Perhaps after he gains more experience and has a few instances of cagers coming into his lane and pushing him onto the shoulder, he may decide dominating his lane is often the best choice. Experience is often the best teacher.

And yes, ever since Sept 2009, the State of Texas requires anyone who is wanting to get their M Endorsement to take the MSF Beginner Riders Course.
My instructor told me to NEVER ride the center of the lane. He said this is where all the oil/grease dripping off vehicles is deposited, and that the center of the lane offers the worst traction-especially in the rain.

Was I taught wrong?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM
monstead
Club Member

The Handbook clearly shows and teaches there are 3 lane positions for a mc. It's even on the test.

We do tell students the center is usually not the best place to ride as that area is generally slippery. I've not heard anyone use the word NEVER as your Instructor did. Personally, I avoid using the words never and always because things are rarely absolute.

I went through the training in October (I'm a newb) and the info I was taught is pretty much the latest and greatest. The curriculum is always being tweaked, so if someone went through some while back, the Instructor may not necessarily be presenting it the way it "should be" now. The material updates come to us via email and it is left up to the Instructor to login to the site and navigate to the update area then manually correct any wording that has changed. My guess is many Coaches do not do that regularly, if at all.

So, when a Rider Coach went through training along with the quality of his/her Instructor Trainers as well as the ability/willingness of the RC/Instructor to teach the material as laid out all can account for differences among Rider Coaches/Instructors.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is from the Oklahoma Motorcycle Drivers Manual

Lane Positions
In some ways the size of the
motorcycle can work to your advantage.
Each traffic lane gives a motorcycle
three paths of travel, as indicated in the
illustration.
Your lane position should:
• Increase
your ability to see and be
seen.

• Avoid
others’ blind spots.

• Avoid
surface hazards.

• Protect
your lane from other
drivers.

• Communicate
your intentions.

• Avoid
wind blast from other
vehicles.

• Provide
an escape route.
Select the appropriate path to
maximize your space cushion and make
yourself more easily seen by others on the road.
ride within your abilities

In general, there is no single best
position for riders to be seen and to
maintain a space cushion around the
motorcycle. No portion of the lane need
be avoided — including the center.
Position yourself in the portion of
the lane where you are most likely to
be seen and you can maintain a space
cushion around you. Change position
as traffic situations change. Ride in path
2 or 3 if vehicles and other potential
problems are on your left only. Remain
in path 1 or 2 if hazards are on your
right only. If vehicles are being operated
on both sides of you, the center of the
lane, path 2, is usually your best option.
The oily strip in the center portion
that collects drippings from cars is
usually no more than two feet wide.
Unless the road is wet, the average
center strip permits adequate traction
to ride on safely. You can operate to
the left or right of the grease strip and
still be within the center portion of the
traffic lane. Avoid riding on big buildups
of oil and grease usually found at
at busy
intersections or toll booths.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 PM
monstead
Club Member

Good stuff...thanks for posting

Originally Posted by tlb
This is from the Oklahoma Motorcycle Drivers Manual

Lane Positions
In some ways the size of the
motorcycle can work to your advantage.
Each traffic lane gives a motorcycle
three paths of travel, as indicated in the
illustration.
Your lane position should:
• Increase
your ability to see and be
seen.

• Avoid
others’ blind spots.

• Avoid
surface hazards.

• Protect
your lane from other
drivers.

• Communicate
your intentions.

• Avoid
wind blast from other
vehicles.

• Provide
an escape route.
Select the appropriate path to
maximize your space cushion and make
yourself more easily seen by others on the road.
ride within your abilities

In general, there is no single best
position for riders to be seen and to
maintain a space cushion around the
motorcycle. No portion of the lane need
be avoided — including the center.
Position yourself in the portion of
the lane where you are most likely to
be seen and you can maintain a space
cushion around you. Change position
as traffic situations change. Ride in path
2 or 3 if vehicles and other potential
problems are on your left only. Remain
in path 1 or 2 if hazards are on your
right only. If vehicles are being operated
on both sides of you, the center of the
lane, path 2, is usually your best option.
The oily strip in the center portion
that collects drippings from cars is
usually no more than two feet wide.
Unless the road is wet, the average
center strip permits adequate traction
to ride on safely. You can operate to
the left or right of the grease strip and
still be within the center portion of the
traffic lane. Avoid riding on big buildups
of oil and grease usually found at
at busy
intersections or toll booths.