General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane placement and lisc requirements in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you could see the 1/2" thick coating of fuel, dirt, grease, coolant, etc. on the center of a border crossing lane you would never ride in the middle of a lane. All vehicles leak something at one time or another and it ends up in the center of the lane. I take either the left or right side and work back and forth as needed using "the whole lane" but do not spend any more time than necessary in the middle grease spot. This is recommended in the Calif. DMV manual btw.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farmerstu
this thread is great. thanks to monstead for factual and accurate info. now for my 2 cents worth of opinion. i think the oily center is a complete myth. in the rain you are more likely to run into depressed wheel tracks with deeper water in them leading to hydroplaning. the center is likely to have less water on it.
Have you ever taken the time to look at the center of a highway? In most cases you can in fact see the oils or fluid spots. Even on a newer paved road with limited weathering you can see the distinct center. Yes the left or right sides can have depressions (especially the right lane of a freeway which is frequented more by trucks) but the slick center is a guaranty.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Roadrunner451
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
If you could see the 1/2" thick coating of fuel, dirt, grease, coolant, etc. on the center of a border crossing lane you would never ride in the middle of a lane. All vehicles leak something at one time or another and it ends up in the center of the lane. I take either the left or right side and work back and forth as needed using "the whole lane" but do not spend any more time than necessary in the middle grease spot. This is recommended in the Calif. DMV manual btw.

What this guy said. Definetly try to avoid the middle of the lane when it's just a light rain or mist.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

I have a select handful with whom I will ride side-by-side. They are my Brothers. As has been pointed out, no one seems to be able to pin point the code that makes it illegal. And yes, the attorneys do light up when told it's OK for cops to do it, but not for Joe Schmuckatelli and his brothers. Cha-ching!!$$$

Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any word yet Mon?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner451
What this guy said. Definetly try to avoid the middle of the lane when it's just a light rain or mist.
Fatboy Lo for beginner? Views: 665
Posted By Roadrunner451
I did exactly what you're thinking about. I took...

I did exactly what you're thinking about. I took the riders edge class and went out and bought a new Fatboy Lo, it was my first street bike. Best decision I ever made, the Lo is a good bike to start...

thanks for the advice.