General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane placement and lisc requirements in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Turbo Flux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen this thread before and never commented, but I have thought about this, some even when riding. Until now I have always "just ridin". Seems the short answer is "you ride in the safe place". Who is around you? What can you see in your mirrors? Are semi's oncoming? Taking long or short curves? Riding in a group? Etc?
Until recently, I have just ridin. Not sure I ever actually "thought" where to place my scoot. Is it maybe the less experienced consciously tender these thoughts and those who have been riding for 25+ years just do it?
Just asking because I never thought about it until I joined this forum.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Harley kirk
Advanced

Very well said monstead , I just took the course out here in California , was instructed on those lines just as you said . I've been riding for over 30 years off and on , but not legally , took the course as a shortcut thru the DMV to get my license . The course was good for a beginner to see if they really wanted to ride a motorcycle on the street , but a 2 day class does not make you safe out there in the real world .

Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Monstead

Your first post was excellent! Nothing else needs to be said.

Bwana

Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM
oldprowler
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley kirk
Very well said monstead , I just took the course out here in California , was instructed on those lines just as you said . I've been riding for over 30 years off and on , but not legally , took the course as a shortcut thru the DMV to get my license . The course was good for a beginner to see if they really wanted to ride a motorcycle on the street , but a 2 day class does not make you safe out there in the real world .

I have never heard nor seen any MSF instructior state or imply that the course makes anyone safe out there on the street. The MSF does attemp to teach basic maneuvers and skills that can help save the riders life. If the "student" chooses to learn these skills and continues to practice them after the course they will be a safer rider on the street. If the "student" chooses not to take the course seriously, does not practice the skills after course completion --- they have wasted some $$$ and a couple days of their lives and will continue to be at a greater risk on the streets. JMO

Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:50 PM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

I fall into your description of todays riding.....

I was heading West on US290 towards College Station. May or not have been me......but I was in the right half of the lane, due to the crazy amounts of wind. Riding a light bike like my Iron 883 with a crazy cross wind can definitely present challenges. At one point I was leaning so far to the left to keep the bike in my lane that it felt like I was going into a left hand turn lol.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was a most likely a Road King Custom family from rear tire and saddle bag configuration and nowhere near College station. My question was answered by several and confirmed what I thought about requirement for the m endorsement. I didn't know what was taught in the basic MSF courses. We actually had a discussion about aggressive riding styles and passive riding styles since yesterday.
Originally Posted by dHUTCH
I fall into your description of todays riding.....

I was heading West on US290 towards College Station. May or not have been me......but I was in the right half of the lane, due to the crazy amounts of wind. Riding a light bike like my Iron 883 with a crazy cross wind can definitely present challenges. At one point I was leaning so far to the left to keep the bike in my lane that it felt like I was going into a left hand turn lol.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As you know in Texas people are from all over the World. Everybody waits till the last minute to do or go anyewhere. Then they are running late. They are jackin with everything in the cage.
NO PLACE IS SAFE. Drive like you don't exist. Don't lag in traffic. Don't take nothin for granit. Git a LOUD horn. Drive defensifly. Stay off other cagers ***. you never know what might be layin in the middle of the road. Rubber Alligators, Ladders, tooks , 4x4's or whatever.
Always yeild the right of way, if you don't somebody is gonna take it.
Don't matter who is right or who is wrong, the cagers always wins.
Always scan the roads, on who is in front of you, who is on yer sides and who is behind you. You always want to look for a way out.
Stay away from Tractor trailers. Don't ride besides them any longer than you have to. And don't git in front of one either.
People will rear end you in a minute.
There are big pot holes in the roads too.

Yer life is in yer hands.
If you don't have to git on the interstate during busy hours , then stay off them.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:04 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just do what makes sense to me. Most of the time the left third of the right lane seems best, especially when there are multiple lanes. When there's a lot of traffic entering and leaving the roadway, even the right side of the left lane might be best. Whatever you do, you don't want to give other drivers the impression that you're nothing but a hole in traffic.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Lane sharing is illegal (not to mention, dangerous) in Texas.
Will you please post the Texas Transportation Code section reference that specifically states this for motorcycles? Being an MSF Instructor, maybe finally we'll have someone who can lay this to rest.

This subject has been debated over and over within our group. Nobody has yet been able to reference a specific a Texas Law that supports the "Lane sharing is illegal" statement. (Lane splitting is another subject)

Vague references to motorcycles being considered a vehicle similar to a car and thus treated as such under Texas Law, then being tied to single occupancy codes have been discussed, but still there are no court rulings to set precedence that we have been able to find. Most searches and inquiries typically yield a "not referenced in code" result.

This subject has also been discussed in group settings with LEO's and attorneys present. A lively debate indeed. Again, specific Texas Transportation Codes could not be produced, and as you mentioned, the "unless you're a motor officer" did come up....and lit the attorneys on fire! One of the attorneys even begged a LEO to cite two guys just so he could get that in front of a judge in order to set precedence.

Two of our guys were recently pulled by a local LEO for riding abreast and were warned. They actually asked the officer what code they were in violation of, but there was no response. They then asked to be cited for violation of a specific offense. No citation was issued, just a safety lecture for riding abreast, and the officer left.

So, if it is illegal, what is the exact reference in the Texas Transportation Code that states this and can be prosecuted.

Quick Reply: Lane placement and lisc requirements in Texas