General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would it take? Need your thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by voudoujoe
Imagine you are looking to buy a used bike and you must choose between two that are identical in every way - except Bike #1 has never been in an accident and Bike #2 has been laid down - with minor damage - and repaired with OEM parts.

This is not a really old, historical, custom or classic bike. 2008 Fat Bob - nothing special or unique.

If the prices were the same, I think it would make perfect sense to prefer the bike that had never been wrecked. But, for enough of a discount, the price difference may sway you to purchase Bike #2.

What kind of price reduction would it take for you to buy Bike #2 instead of Bike #1?

---

My situation - I was recently cut off in a traffic circle. Rather than collide with a minivan, I laid the bike down. The forks and frame weren't damaged, but the handle bars, gas tank, primary cover and controls were.

I'm pretty certain, even though the bike can be repaired, the eventual resale appeal will not be the same. So, I believe the bike won't be worth what it was worth before the accident.

The accident wasn't my fault - the other driver/insurance company - has accepted full liability. I'm not willing to eat the lost value on the bike for an accident that wan't my fault. I'm not looking to score a windfall, just fair compensation for what this accident will cost me for repairs and lost value.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts...many people wont buy a wrecked bike, Period! The value will take a considerable hit. Supply and demand. I would not consider a wrecked bike at any price.
With that stated, their is always someone willing to buy something cheap. Probably 35-40% less.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 AM
rg567
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by voudoujoe
Thanks for your opinion. Permit me to challenge you thinking to understand your position as the insurance company wlll likely take the same stance.

If 2 bikes sat side-by-side, identicalexcept for accident history, if properly repaired you would be OK with buying the repaired bike. I understand that. But, I would expect you would be in a better negotiating position and demand a lower price for the Accident Bike. Otherwise, why take the risk there was hidden damage or the seller was being completely truthful about the extent of the repaired damage?

if the prices were equal, I think most would prefer the unwrecked bike unless we could get a better price for the Accident Bike. By definition, the accident history had dimished the Accident Bile's value. The question is by how much?

In your opinion it may not be much, but is it really $0?
Good point. I'd say if the damage was truely cosmetic and was repaired correctly, I'd easily take the repaired bike and $500 over the one that had never been touched. As others have said, the fact that the tank was repainted would cause a little bit of concern to me, simply because of the new paint job quality. If the new paint was a few years old and still looked good, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. In the end, everyone mods their bikes, new paint, new bars, new controls, etc. If there's no frame damage, whats the difference if you modded it cause it was bent or cause you liked the new paint/bars/controls better?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. These last few posts are what I've been looking for.

To clear something up ...
Originally Posted by rg567
the fact that the tank was repainted would cause a little bit of concern to me, simply because of the new paint job quality
Nothing is getting painted. The whole tank is being replaced by a brand new tank from HD factory with factory paint.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

if everything is repaired properly,who would no it had been laid down?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
The only thing that sticks out to me comes down to paint. Bars, mirrors, stuff like that is easy to replace and put "factory" oem parts back on. OEM tanks are really expensive and some places want to just re-paint another tank to match your paint. And repainted tanks are NEVER as good as factory paint (if you believe otherwise don't bother arguing that point with me, you'll only be wasting your breath). You can spill ethanol filled gas all over your factory tank with no damage. I've never seen repainted tanks that held up well against getting gas spilled on them.
Then your painter just flat-assed sucked. I made a living for several years just painting tins. There's always the factory as long as you have deep pockets and patience. A body shop ain't the place to go. Its mindless. You need to find a guy who has the passion to do it right.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 AM
shamrock22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The insurance company has an obligation to make you whole. The courts would view them paying to repair your bike to pre accident state as making you whole. You can try to fight them and they may cave if you sue for a nominal amount above their offer as they may view paying you as being cheaper then going to court.

Down side to this plan is that it sounds as if the bike and car did not actually crash and you laid it down to avoid contact. In court they may have a decent case to pay 0 claiming you going off the road was a result of you not being able to handle your bike not a fault of the insured.

Yes your bike is worth less after an accident. If it was me I would be doing just what you are doing and politely but firmly continue to negotiate with them asking for more $$. If you can front the repairs out of pocket and not settle quickly you are more likely to collect a bit more.

Good luck sorry to hear.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yljkt
Then your painter just flat-assed sucked. I made a living for several years just painting tins. There's always the factory as long as you have deep pockets and patience. A body shop ain't the place to go. Its mindless. You need to find a guy who has the passion to do it right.
I'll agree, the painter(s) did suck. Many years ago I tried using our dealers bodyshop. then people told me, "If you want bike quality work you need to use a painter who does bikes". The real slap in the face for me was when I decided to use two different "bike" painters with sky high "bike" painting prices, same crappy result. I would have thought $4,000 could buy me a quality job. but it didn't. I don't know, maybe a $15,000 Perewitz job is what's needed. I don't even know how much a new factory tank is. But I have to agree with the OP, getting a new tank is the way to go.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
But I have to agree with the OP, getting a new tank is the way to go.
Yeah, I decided to go with a new factory tank. Learned a few things about that tonight ...

First, you pretty much get the choice of colors Harley is painting now. In 2008, there was a real nice crimson denim. Not likely to get that now.

Second (according to the HD dealer - hope I got this right), Harley does paint in 6 week cycles. When you order a painted part, you go into the queue and your order gets added to the quantity of that color they will paint the next time they run that color on the line.

Third (according to the HD dealer again), HD will not tell you WHEN that color will have the next run nor will they tell you what color is next.

So, if I want Vivid Black they add me to the list and the next time they paint Vivid Black, they do my part and send it. If they color is next and that run starts in a few days, them I'm lucky and I get my part quickly. If not, it could be 6 weeks before they get to that color again (if they are still painting it - I think)

I told the guy I wan't too particular and might be willing to take what ever color was coming up next. He said HD wouldn't tell him what color was next in line. You pick your color and wait and see what happens. Maybe it comes in 2 weeks, maybe in 2 months.

I looked up the parts on Zanottis. Their prices for a plain black denim FXDF are: tank $628, rear fender $314, front fender $233 = $1175 plus shipping.

Not sure what a typical local shop charges. The only "plain" one-color price I could find online was "$900 and up". Buying new from the factory gets me (1) no skeptical questions about the quality of the job and (2) all new tank and fenders. Might be able to sell the old ones, so net-net the new factory stuff costs about the same as a local job and I get all new sheet metal. Of course, it's stock paint, but I'm OK with that.

Last edited by voudoujoe; 03-02-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would take the bike that was never in an accident for more, but that's just me. If your bike dose not have a salvage title on it and fixed right with all new OEM parts then it wil not be worth all that much less IMO. Like was said about 20% less or so. There are so may bikes that have been down and repaired it's not even funny and I go both my bikes used so for all I know they could have been down and fixed right? I guess if it bothers you all that much then get the bike fixed and then trade it in for a new one.