General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped header bolt (phillips head), need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Steelhammer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice picture, ugly fastener, I'd have that out in two secs with couple hits from my air chisel with small flat bit.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:53 PM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Use a drill bit that is just a bit bigger in diameter than the screw, it will remove the head of the screw and you will be able to get the exhaust pipe collar off, then you will be able to grab the protruding part of the screw with vise grips.

If you use a left hand drill bit (as Dyna suggested) it may actually spin the stuck fastener out when the head of the screw comes off. You may find that after the head is gone and the collar is out of the way, that the remaining part of the screw is not very tight in the head anymore.

If Kroil is not available, try to find some PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or Automatic Transmission Fluid. Don`t bother with WD 40...
oops, i somehow missed this post. gotcha.

i think this will be my best bet. now, to find drill bits big enough....

if anyone has any other suggestions, i am definitely all ears/eyes, and will check back later tonight. meantime im gonna grab some food and potentially make a trip out to lowes. thanks for all the responses gang.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:56 PM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelhammer
Nice picture, ugly fastener
haha, yup, and the pipes were ugly to match. now you know why im trying to get them off.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:56 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Two pictures worth 1,000 words.

I would drill the head of the screw off: carefully. Center punch the bolt head and drill about 1/4" with a 1/16" drill. It is important to drill dead center. Then work up through a couple of drill sizes until you can get the head off. Once you remove the exhaust you will be left with a stud and most likely a centered hole in the middle of it. I would then soak that stud with penetrant and let it sit overnight.

After resoaking the stud, go back to drilling it to size for an easy out then try and work it out with that. You can always use a left hand drill if you have one. It might help unscrew the stud. Take you time and try not to mess up the threads in the block.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,395 Likes on 5,003 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Two pictures worth 1,000 words.

I would drill the head of the screw off: carefully. Center punch the bolt head and drill about 1/4" with a 1/16" drill. It is important to drill dead center. Then work up through a couple of drill sizes until you can get the head off. Once you remove the exhaust you will be left with a stud and most likely a centered hole in the middle of it. I would then soak that stud with penetrant and let it sit overnight.

After resoaking the stud, go back to drilling it to size for an easy out then try and work it out with that. You can always use a left hand drill if you have one. It might help unscrew the stud. Take you time and try not to mess up the threads in the block.

Good luck and keep us posted.
After seeing the pics and how little material there will be to grab on to, I agree that this method will be your best bet.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok you stated you used an impact driver? The kind you hit with a hammer? If not get one, you can pick them up for about $10 to $15 and they work wonders on phillips head bolts like that.
hold it onto the screw, give it a twist counter clockwise and a good wack with a 2lb hammer and in seconds it should be coming right out.

I hate the thought of drilling the head off because then all you have left is the stub of that small screw left, after that you will have to drill all of it out.
an easy out is easy to break off in the hole, if you were to resort to this be sure to heat the head around the screw.

good luck either way and keep us informed, we learn so much from what everyone else does on here suck as I did not even know about kroil, gotta get some now

Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
irunaumuck
Advanced

You might try taking your dermal and cutting a slot in the head and use a screwdriver. Use an adjustable wrench on the shaft of the screwdrive to turn the screwdriver while pushing down on the top of the scredriver and keep it as stright as you can. This works sometimes worth a try before grinding the head off.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM
mechmagcn
Advanced

You can also use a center punch near the outside edge of the screw to try and break it loose. First try putting the punch in the center and giving it a couple of good raps and then punch a dimple near the edge and turn it with the hammer and punch.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Dissimilar metals galvanic corrosion I'm sure after many years.

Definitely let the penetrate soak in overnight , You rush something like this and it'll turn into a

PIA project for sure.

So what year 750 , I had a 75 CB750F ( with an aftermarket supercharger for grins ).

Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,821 Likes on 19,322 Posts

Easy Outs are hardened! If you break one off you're going to have a hell of a time drilling it. BE VERY CAREFUL. Patience !!!!

Quick Reply: stripped header bolt (phillips head), need help please!