Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boston Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM
recon7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boston Area

I'll be moving to the Baahston area around mid-April and will probably be living in the Bedford/Concord/Lexington area and commuting out to Ayers. I have a few questions for the locals:

Is there anything in particular the local LEOs ticket that I should know about in advance? Loud pipes, etc?

How long (or short) is the riding season? I'm spoiled as I am arriving from Florida via Arizona... I'm going to miss the year-long riding.

Good service departments, dealers or indy? I'm going to need a 15k service as soon as I arrive.

Finally, good ride routes or areas to ride? Conversely, any areas to avoid on the bike (safety, security, etc.)?

Thanks!

Kevin

Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I lived in the neighboring town of Arlington, so I know the area. You'll be taking Rt. 2 west to Ayer. It's a good bike road once you get past Lincoln. No particular enforcement problems that I recall, though things may have changed (it's been 14 years since I left). Wearing colors will merit extra scrutiny from the po-po, but that's about it. They do have a safety inspection, which we don't have here in CA. As far as areas to avoid, anyplace within the city is iffy. You definitely have to pick your spots. Commonwealth Ave in Back Bay is probably okay, but the side streets in the same area near the universities... not so much. The city isn't much fun on a bike anyways because you have to look out for trolley tracks everywhere. You'll learn the areas to avoid soon enough. If you have time and feel adventurous on a weekend (maybe a 3 day weekend), take Rt. 2 west to the Mohawk Trail and make a side trip to the summit of Mount Greylocke. Google the Mohawk Trail "hairpin curve" - it's something you have to experience at least once! As I recall, the riding season was early April to early November. With a fairing and heated gear you could probably push it a bit further. GL!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by recon7
I'll be moving to the Baahston area around mid-April and will probably be living in the Bedford/Concord/Lexington area and commuting out to Ayers. I have a few questions for the locals:

Is there anything in particular the local LEOs ticket that I should know about in advance? Loud pipes, etc?

How long (or short) is the riding season? I'm spoiled as I am arriving from Florida via Arizona... I'm going to miss the year-long riding.

Good service departments, dealers or indy? I'm going to need a 15k service as soon as I arrive.

Finally, good ride routes or areas to ride? Conversely, any areas to avoid on the bike (safety, security, etc.)?

Thanks!

Kevin

kevin,

I currently live in Colombia, but I am from BAAHSTON.

I am not sure if the laws have changed, but I am pretty sure that there are no issues with pipes. Was home riding with my cuz and buddies in october for a week, some of the guys were running some loud chit and we drove right by the boys in blue with no issues. There are however alot of drunk checks so if you drink and ride be prepared, I do not drink and ride, so it is not an issue for me. I save miller time for the end of the day.

Boston Harley in Revere is an excellent dealer and My cuz and I swear by them. On the South Shore where my house is in the states, Shadley brothers is one of the best indy shops there is in mass, they build serious machines.

The riding season can and is for the most part unpredictable, can last from late march to november, depends on on how cold you will ride and when the 1st snow fall hits. From what understand this year we have been pounded!! I currently have only been home two months, TOPS, out of the year so my riding time is only been in the summer and maybe a week or two here and there; if possible.
Normally October 31st to April 1st you pertty much can not ride, but again it depends on your ability to deal with the cold. Also three years ago while home on vacation, I was riding in december, so it is unperdictable.

Mass is a very congested state and to get out to the good rides you need to leave the metro area. RT. 2 all the way to New York is a great ride, at 1st it starts out a little interstate like, but turns out to be great throught the westran part of the state.
RT, 3 all the way, whcih turns into 6, to the tip of the cape is nice, it is highway and heavilyy driven by cages during the summer but at certain times you can really open in up. RT 44 is nice as well.

RT 58, 27, 139, 123 and 106 are all nice but as soon you will discover. They have large amounts of trafic when they are 20-30- miles with in the city radius. If you want peace and quiet with roads you can ZEN on, western part of the state and south east.

One very large benni, is that New Hampshire vermount and Maine are very close and some of the best riding in the North East, if not comparable to the rest of the US. These states are made for riding.

I am not sure of the dates, but dont miss out on Laconia bike week. I have been many times, it is a good time make your plans if your staying in Laconia or near it becuase people come from all over for this. I run up for the day and run back. it is only an hour away from Boston.

Good luck and welcome to the Taxachesetts, when I am home in tte summer lets hook up for ride for some Clams in the summer. Ride safe

Old 02-26-2011, 10:54 AM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I cut my teeth riding in Boston. Believe me, it's a freaking zoo!!! Be careful. Better yet, take the cage!
Agree with Mr. Lucky, Rt. 2 and parts north and west are a nice ride. New Hampster isn't that far either. Also, south of Boston along Rt. 3A (south of Hingham all the way to the canal) makes for a good day trip.
Just curious, if you're working out in Ayer, why not settle closer to Ayer? It's a lot less congested out that way...better standard of living, etc.
My $.02.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer

Mass is a helmet state, but NH and Maine are not.

All MA bikes are inspected. Hand grips must be below the shoulders. No vertical license plates allowed anymore. And, any light that comes on with the brakes must be RED (not amber), else you don't get your sticker 'till you come back with it fixed (learned from experience).

The best riding is 150 miles north in New Hampshire. Ride NH Rt 112 (Kancamagus), NH Rt 302 (Crawford Notch), NH Rt 16 (Pinkham Notch & Mt. Washington). Vermont 100 is great. And, the coast of Maine and Acadia National Park are well worth it. The ferry over to Nova Scotia is no longer running.

JR

Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM
recon7
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep 'em coming!

Timmy,

Anytime is a good time for a good ride, good seafood, and good company. Let me know!

J.R.,

I'm a Florida resident, serving in the Army. I plan on keeping my vehicles, including the scoot registered and tagged in FL.

O.F.,

I'll be working on Ft. Devens, but am considering living on Hanscom AFB, as Devens doesn't have family housing. Wifey also wants to be close to shopping and restaurants, and Hanscom looks like it has plenty close by. Haven't seen much for rent in our price range in the Ayers/Harvard area, and I was told to avoid Fitchburg...

Kevin

Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

enjoy all the liberals esp kerry, cannot understand the east coast mentality, its the peoples fault not the left, they let these guys get voted in time after time, anyway enjoy i bet there is alot of nice ridint in neiboring states

Old 02-26-2011, 02:37 PM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by recon7
O.F.,

I'll be working on Ft. Devens, but am considering living on Hanscom AFB, as Devens doesn't have family housing. Wifey also wants to be close to shopping and restaurants, and Hanscom looks like it has plenty close by. Haven't seen much for rent in our price range in the Ayers/Harvard area, and I was told to avoid Fitchburg...

Kevin
Ah, that makes sense now. to you! By all means, avoid Fitchburg. Sounds like you will be coming at the right time of year. We may or may not have a summer here this year but September is always great! Ride safe!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Kevin, I live in ayer so when you arrive and are ready for some riding get in touch. Although the season is much shorter,there is plenty of good riding to do. I would not even consider renting in fitchburg. Consider Shirley,ayer, littleton, or the Acton area. Concord and Lincoln areas are very expensive. Any questions let me know.
Bob

Old 02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I drove thru Boston years ago
and from what I remember partied in the combat zone

Driving there is definitely an experience almost like NYC

Quick Reply: Boston Area