General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boston Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Herkybird
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently live on Hanscom AFB. imo...it was the best choice for us economically and i can walk to work...avoid the interstate at all cost, this "style" of driving up here takes some getting used to. On the flipside, you GET to drive your cage-er like a complete retard and no-one knows your from out of town!!! Also there are potholes all over the effing place! I pulled up at a light one day and when i leaned to the right to put my food down i was directly over a 6" hole. If i was not 6"7" i might have dumped my bike right there! And there are toll booths every 5 ft to allow you to pay for the privilege of driving on the shittiest most potholed pavement imaginable!!!! That being said, all other roads around here are gorgeous. These aforementioned minor inconveniences balance out and the beauty of this place can be awesome! I put my bike away for the season back in Dec and i am hoping to pull it back out mid-march...well see. Good idea keeping your HOG registered out of state! I kept my TN plates and you avoid the inspection. My buddy got denied by two different inspection locations for pipes too loud...never had any issues with the five-O. Shoot me a message sometime when you get up here and well go ride!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Herkybird
I currently live on Hanscom AFB. imo...it was the best choice for us economically and i can walk to work...avoid the interstate at all cost, this "style" of driving up here takes some getting used to. On the flipside, you GET to drive your cage-er like a complete retard and no-one knows your from out of town!!! Also there are potholes all over the effing place! I pulled up at a light one day and when i leaned to the right to put my food down i was directly over a 6" hole. If i was not 6"7" i might have dumped my bike right there! And there are toll booths every 5 ft to allow you to pay for the privilege of driving on the shittiest most potholed pavement imaginable!!!! That being said, all other roads around here are gorgeous. These aforementioned minor inconveniences balance out and the beauty of this place can be awesome! I put my bike away for the season back in Dec and i am hoping to pull it back out mid-march...well see. Good idea keeping your HOG registered out of state! I kept my TN plates and you avoid the inspection. My buddy got denied by two different inspection locations for pipes too loud...never had any issues with the five-O. Shoot me a message sometime when you get up here and well go ride!
....sad but all true. That's why I live in NH after living in that insane asylum for 50 years.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM
dblkick
Cruiser

Concord's wicked expencive I grew up in the Marlboro area & now I'm in Templeton. I would listen to most of the advice. There's some great riding out by me. I would go as far as Leominster & start again looking past F-burg. Fitchburg isn't bad to go through, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I too lived in AZ, Mesa for 3 yrs & 5 yrs south of ATL. Even though the riding season isn't too long you can't beat NewEngland. You need to get a snowmobile for the down time

Old 02-28-2011, 02:31 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I have many fond memories of Boston, though none of them are bike related. Check out the No Name Restaurant for some of the best seafood in the area. www.nonamerestaurant.com/

Old 02-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
I have many fond memories of Boston, though none of them are bike related. Check out the No Name Restaurant for some of the best seafood in the area. www.nonamerestaurant.com/
No Names
Jimmy's harbour side, not sure if it is still open
The Crab shack
The Crabby shack in Plymouth
The Clam shack on Walleston
Grumpy mc Doughs

there are so many, I am looking at sancocho and beans for dinner!!! I WANT A STEAK AND CHEESE!!! MAN I miss home!!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
goblin127
Tourer

Every thing to do about the rideing is true,western mass is better than eastern. Watch out for the cape in summer. Politicaly this state is dysfunctionaly left. One more thing on inspection day make sure you have those amber reflectors on the fork legs.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Please Note:

Driving in Massachusetts during the Rush Hour(s) ... all drivers in the flow of rush traffic are allowed to drive OVER 80 MPH (like maniacs) every day without being harassed by the police ! But people driving opposite the traffic rush hour will get a ticket for speeding for exceeding 75 mph ... and Boston rush hour drivers will run anyone off the road not driving 80 + mph - Just the way it is here. Maybe elsewhere too ?

Commuting on a motorcycle during rush hour is a life & death situation ... You've been warned ! I recommend commuting with a tank or a car with an I-Beam for a bumper.

They don't call us Mass-Holes for nothing ! And we are spreading to the states of NH & ME ...

NH & ME state & local police do not tolerate shi_head drivers like Mass police do ... and now lots of police in all New England states have decibel meters to check loud exhausts, if your driving through some of the more $$ towns ... (especially oceanfront towns)

Generally, you can easily get an inspection sticker from a motorcycle hot rod shop, but a Jap bike dealer will NOT give you a sticker if your exhaust is just slightly loud ... HD dealers are usually stealers around here, in my opinion ...

New England Mountain Roads (highways & bi-ways) generally have excellent pavement ! for Excellent Riding ! Lots of bikes to be seen in nice weather.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
CJinNH
Cruiser

Funny stuff on here. I live in NH and work in northern Mass. It's funny how the pavement changes when you cross the border, Mass roads are choppy and horrid, cross the line and things smooth out....

BTW I'm one of those crazt a$$holes in a cage driving north on 93 at 4:30 pm, you'll see me doing 85mph weaving through traffic to get home...it's like a game. Passes the time. While 85 mph might sound fast, traffic is doing 80 mph, so I'm just slightly faster. I've been doing this commute for 5 years and haven't seen a cop really at all...kind of crazy, the cops kind of avoid the commuters. Once I hit north of the Hooksett tolls in NH I'm the ***** doing 102 on the straight aways... Yes I drive totally different around bikes and while on a bike, I barely do over 70 mph on my bike.

Some great back raods in NH if you come up this way, great mountains, beautiful lakes. You can hit Hampton beach if you're feeling a bit cheese-ball-ish. Also Laconia is a fun time- all sorts go there.

It's a quick drive to Foxwoods too... Poker anyone?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM
meathead1134
Cruiser

Driving in Boston sucks! Be prepaired to be be lane split by cars. Stop lights all over the place. Rt 24 just plain sucks very dangerous rode and wicked fast the entire length. Rt 93 north of Boston isn't that bad. RT95 north of Boston isn't that bad either. RT 495 hell I don't think there is a speed limit on that road during rush hour be prepaired to due 80mph to keep with the flow of traffic. Farther south Freetown, Lakeville, is pretty kool watch your speed. Dighton is decent. Watch out for Rehoboth police they will follow you at any time of the day. I've been followed there at 6:00am and at midnight. Decent riding though no real straight rode through that town except RT6 and Rt44. RT 105 through Rochester area is pretty nice. Some roads that run parallel with the pike can be fun. Look up the Quabin, nice riding through there. Head north to NH, RT 112,16,302 area and Franconia Notch reall nice riding.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 PM
98chevy350
3rd Gear

Welcome to the area! Riding season like other guys pointed out depends on the year, last year March was warm and spring came early. By the second week most people had there bikes out. Did not ice or snow until middle of December this year, so if you can deal with the cold usually you can ride through November. Some good days to ride in November still, not every day but it can occasionally get a warm day. Couple years ago we got two 70 degree days in a row around November 10th, something to get excited about around here! Yes winter is long. Snowmobiling is a blast, if you can afford it definetly look into getting on, or at least renting on up North for a weekend. I'm sure its the same everywere, but watch out for the crazy drivers that dont see you because they dont pay attention, especially right at the beginning of riding season. People seem to forget motorcycles exist..... The towns you are talking about are very nice towns, but lots of crazy commuters in there volvos racing to Boston every day. I live in Leominster, great guys up at American HD on RT 12 owner lives about 2 miles from my house. Someone mentioned Sterling cops, yes very nice town to ride through, but watch the speed and let off the throttle going by the cops, not much crime there and nothing better for them to do then bust people. Some nice riding in North Central Mass also, areas like Ashnurnham, Ashby Townsend, RT 119 which will take you down to Concord is a very nice road, well parts anyway.

Hope you like the area, like everyone said watch out for the moonbat liberals, and crater sized potholes!

Quick Reply: Boston Area