General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you want?
Want them to expand the program to other models
50.00%
Would order a bike with factory options in the next 3 years
12.12%
Would buy a new bike in the next 3 years but wouldn't add any options
3.03%
No plans to buy another bike... really
21.21%
Don't buy new and never will
13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

H-D1 Factory customization... the future?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011 | 06:34 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

You guys have to remember that the dealerships have been doing this for years. Just tell 'em what factory add-ons and whatnot you want to your new bike, they'll do it and add that to the price.

The factory starts to do that, and it's gonna hurt them for sure. Not that I could force a tear for any dealership, even in an onion stomping contest, but still, just sayin....

Old 03-02-2011 | 06:43 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SUPRPIG
I understand Sportsters get modified after the purchase, but how many of the Sportster buyers do you think go in and order a new bike vs. the number that go in to order another model or buy off the show room floor is my real point.

Did you order your Sporster?
I would say, that for most, they don't order their bike and either buy one off the floor or find a dealer that has what they want. This new system goes beyond just "ordering" a bike. It's the level of customization to a neophite buyer that Harley is after. The guys that are already into it probably already know what they want and can acheive the same results aready when they negotiate their new bike purchase.

I didn't order my Sportster...but then again I didn't buy it new either. I spent $2,500 for it (1999 883) for three reasons. First, I wanted something rough because it was my first bike and I figured I'd have growing pains that would include dropping the thing a few times. I didn't want to have something shiney and new to ding up. Second, I do all my own work and by having something that needed work I would also have something to help me with that learning curve as well. Third, I would NEVER have a dealer install parts or custom order a bike with dealer installed parts. I would rather do the work myself and choose the parts myself and not have a bike payment that included after market crap that doesn't raise the value of the bike any yet that I would be paying interest on. Thus I could take the money I saved and do my own customization on my own, limited, budget. By the time the bike was in the condition you see it in that picture in my sig, I had a total investment (including purchase price) of $5,500 into it.

But that says more about the kind of person I am. This program isn't targeting guys like me regarless if they do it with a Sportster or if they do it with a dresser. That program is targeting the new buyer, who doesn't know much about motorcycles and doesn't know what aftermarket parts are available, and wants to have a "custom" package that isn't going to have a huge payment but that he had a hand in "creating" allowing him to have a bike with his own "personal touch".

Last edited by Robotech; 03-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2011 | 08:14 PM
SUPRPIG
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Robotech
I would say, that for most, they don't order their bike and either buy one off the floor or find a dealer that has what they want. This new system goes beyond just "ordering" a bike. It's the level of customization to a neophite buyer that Harley is after. The guys that are already into it probably already know what they want and can acheive the same results aready when they negotiate their new bike purchase.

I didn't order my Sportster...but then again I didn't buy it new either. I spent $2,500 for it (1999 883) for three reasons. First, I wanted something rough because it was my first bike and I figured I'd have growing pains that would include dropping the thing a few times. I didn't want to have something shiney and new to ding up...
But that says more about the kind of person I am. This program isn't targeting guys like me regarless if they do it with a Sportster or if they do it with a dresser. That program is targeting the new buyer, who doesn't know much about motorcycles and doesn't know what aftermarket parts are available, and wants to have a "custom" package that isn't going to have a huge payment but that he had a hand in "creating" allowing him to have a bike with his own "personal touch".
That was really ther point I was trying to make... what can I say... I'm a man and I say something that doesn't connote what I really meant. My intention was to point out that Sporster Buyers usually don't order... and if they do they don't usually but as many optional equipment at the time of purchase. I sat outside a Restaurant in Lake Placid, NY last summer amazed at the number Sporsters.. mostly older modified Sportsters I saw riding by and stopping. The program is clearly to test the waters... but I believe most Sportster buyers buy used or off the floor. Many of the buyers of other models order new and have the mods added on at time of purchase. That is why I think they missed the mark and should have tried a different model. Many of the buyers of the Dynas, Softtails, and Baggers either are selling their current bike outright or trading it in to take the edge off the higher retail price and can afford to buy/order on options. I got in on the Sportster buy back program and loved my Sportster... but it was not near as good looking or modified as your ride. I will replace it some day with a Dyna... or maybe even another Sportster. Keep the shiny side up!

Old 03-02-2011 | 10:30 PM
beakerztoyz
Tourer

Hello Harley Davidson........yes I'd like to order a softail with a 103, could ya put a springer on that, and some......what"s that sportsters only you say. ok well then can I still get that 103 ci engine, what about the sprin.........Hello??