General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you want?
Want them to expand the program to other models
50.00%
Would order a bike with factory options in the next 3 years
12.12%
Would buy a new bike in the next 3 years but wouldn't add any options
3.03%
No plans to buy another bike... really
21.21%
Don't buy new and never will
13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

H-D1 Factory customization... the future?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011 | 08:04 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

I think it's about price...in order to get younger riders "in".....I'm sure they'll still sell all the Luxo-Barge CVO's they can make, but nobody buying one would be in the demographic that would consider a factory personalized Sporty...hope the buyers don't get too burned on resale though; Sportsters aren't traditionally strong at trade in time and it is just a trim package...

Old 02-28-2011 | 08:18 AM
schumacher
Club Member

It's been working great for Victory. Harley thought enough of it to "borrow" the idea

Old 02-28-2011 | 08:49 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm hoping they expand this. I plan on buying a Street Glide in the next two years and want the motor blacked out and different bars. This would definitely save me some down time and money. Don't really care about the dealer added stuff as I can do that myself when time and money allow.

Old 02-28-2011 | 10:23 AM
JohnT
Road Master

I'd like to see the program expanded. I'd buy a new Fat Bob in a minute if they still had a midset peg option. It was offered in the first 2 years and then dropped. I'm now looking for a used one, but they are hard to find.

Old 03-01-2011 | 09:47 PM
SUPRPIG
|
Road Master

Saw the first commercial on TV tonight. It was rather well done with people in Cages walking around and a modified Sportster weaving around them. Definitly need to expand it to other bike models which would gain momentum. Wasted on Sportsters... not because I have an issue with the Sporty's but because they are probably the least modified model. When it comes to the upgrades and modifications the other platforms rule and account for the most expenditures... which is what they are really looking for.

Old 03-02-2011 | 03:38 PM
jooles7009
Intermediate

i'm a new rider and looking to buy a new 1200; with this new factory customization option, do you think they'll be much wiggle room for negotiating? any tips, thoughts and suggestions are most welcomed!

Old 03-02-2011 | 04:19 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Best time to buy a bike wouldof been Jan and Feb with it was super cold, snow on the ground and no bikes moving.
Now they ain't gonna wiggle as much. Make sure you shop around.

Old 03-02-2011 | 04:24 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SUPRPIG
I have an issue with [them using] Sporty's...because they are probably the least modified model. When it comes to the upgrades and modifications the other platforms rule and account for the most expenditures... which is what they are really looking for.
You're kidding, right? Not only is there a ton of aftermarket options out there for Sportsters but, just like every other Harley owner, Sportster owners modify the crap out of their bikes. Bars, grips, pegs...hell...how many big twin owners do their own 103 or other engine modification upgrades? (And before you say only 883 owners upgrade their engines, many 1200 owners opt to go up to 1250...)

Cams, heads, pipes, seats, bags, lights, mirrors, controls, tires, wheels, ignition, primary covers, derby covers, sissy bars, shocks, forks, tins...all of this is available, and purchased, by Sportster owners. Take a look at the Sportster in my signature and tell me again how Sportsters aren't modified.

Now, I will say that most Sportster owners are cheap and go for inexpensive parts so perhaps the MoCo is trying to get more of those modification dollars by letting you get those upgrades all up front. Could also be that many Sportster owners are new to motorcycles and that, by offering upgrades up front, they can capture more of their dollars early on before they realize there is a big third party aftermarket for Sportster upgrades.

I'm willing to bet the reason the MoCo chose the Sportster is because, number wise, they sell a ton of them. They sell just as many as any other "type" in the inventory...

Sportster 16,776
Custom 31,919
Touring 25,975

Custom is Dynas AND Softails combined...Touring is anything with bags on it from the factory. Considering the ecconomy and that the MoCo has been targeting younger buyer and cheaper price points with the new models that are coming out (the most expensive Softail, the Rocker, being replaced with the least expensive Softail, the Darkline) this decision seems to keep right in line with what they are trying to accomplish.

Now, what I DON'T like about the program is that, as far as I can tell, you start with the base price of the bike then add the "options"...which means the MoCo makes even more money because all those take off parts you'd normally have doing this yourself they are not giving you "credit" for...so you're paying for part you're not getting. Maybe I saw that wrong and someone correct me if I did but if that's the case, I'll modify my own, thank you.

Last edited by Robotech; 03-02-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2011 | 06:06 PM
SUPRPIG
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Robotech
You're kidding, right? Not only is there a ton of aftermarket options out there for Sportsters but, just like every other Harley owner, Sportster owners modify the crap out of their bikes.
I understand Sportsters get modified after the purchase, but how many of the Sportster buyers do you think go in and order a new bike vs. the number that go in to order another model or buy off the show room floor is my real point.

As you indicated it is not that they don't modify their vehicles but how many buy it with options on initial purchase or order a new Sportster... period. Most of the owners I know... including me... bought the base bike to get back in inexpensively... and bought off the floor. Therefore, I am really questioning how many Sportsters are Customer Ordered in the first place.

I would like to see them bundle some packages to reduce costs and save money while up-selling. You also have the advantage of not paying the labor charges when you have them do it after the purchase... and you don't have boxes of stock parts with no viable way of off loading them. I know my engine parts and exhaust are in boxes unopened in the basement.

Did you order your Sporster?

Last edited by SUPRPIG; 03-02-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: finish
Old 03-02-2011 | 06:32 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

I guess less dealer service department techs.
Less techs. required to remove stuff and install ordered parts. Less jobs.
Possible increase entry cost to Harley ownership and increased revenue since more individuals would be enticed to spend money (finance more) for...custom.
Less stock parts on ebay.

Quick Reply: H-D1 Factory customization... the future?