General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you want?
Want them to expand the program to other models
50.00%
Would order a bike with factory options in the next 3 years
12.12%
Would buy a new bike in the next 3 years but wouldn't add any options
3.03%
No plans to buy another bike... really
21.21%
Don't buy new and never will
13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

H-D1 Factory customization... the future?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011 | 06:53 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Why they started with the Sportsters, I don't know. But I hope they expand quickly to the touring and softail bikes. They may even start with new models they come out with because it would be maybe easier to do? Anyway, they can't go fast enough as far as I'm concerned! I wanna order my bike with paint, chrome, and engine choice and that will make it closer to what I want. I will still need to do some work to make it mine, but it would be alot closer to what I want.
Jerry

Old 02-27-2011 | 07:33 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

No plans on a new bike anytime soon. I went 22 yrs between brand new purchases.
Not sure why they started it only with the Sportster unless it's a limited test with plans to expand if it works out.

Old 02-28-2011 | 04:56 AM
pibpd905
Advanced

Originally Posted by kanelakos
One would think HD makes more money selling a touring bike, dyna, softtail like they do and then selling you MORE stuff to customize it. They probably went with the Sportster because that might be the least customized bike they produce. Just a thought.

I was thinking that with the Sporter it is the least expensive bike for HD to play with. If this becomes a huge flop, they don't have too much wrapped up in this program finacially. I would think that if this goes over good with buyers they will expand to other models. Like everything in business, you have to test the waters before jumping in....gotta know if you are going to sink or float.

Old 02-28-2011 | 05:16 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pibpd905
I was thinking that with the Sporter it is the least expensive bike for HD to play with. If this becomes a huge flop, they don't have too much wrapped up in this program finacially. I would think that if this goes over good with buyers they will expand to other models. Like everything in business, you have to test the waters before jumping in....gotta know if you are going to sink or float.
Probably the reasoning but inherently risky. What if it flops on the Sportster line-up but would have rocketed sales in the Touring group? They may never know.

I am not looking to purchase a new bike for a few years yet I am disappointed in reading this is Sportster only. Was toying with the idea of going to a dealer to "kick the tires" on this program and who knows........now however it is why bother.

Old 02-28-2011 | 05:37 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kowan
No plans on a new bike anytime soon. I went 22 yrs between brand new purchases.
Not sure why they started it only with the Sportster unless it's a limited test with plans to expand if it works out.
Now your 22+ years older! You dont have the luxury of time on your side anymore! ( neither do I) You may want to pull the trigger sooner next time because deep inside you know time is getting shorter! Its strange how the mind thinks differently as you get older.... scary

Old 02-28-2011 | 05:44 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

No plans to buy a new one anytime soon. However, I think it's a good idea and they should expand it to all models. That is as long as HD doesn't use it as an excuse to jack the prices way up, which I am sure they would.

Old 02-28-2011 | 05:47 AM
Rickl
Road Captain

It would be nice to customize your own bike. They may be amazed at what the end user would order/want. It may lead to a re-configuation of models, beside giving your customers want they want. What a concept!

Old 02-28-2011 | 06:01 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default Good idea

I like the idea also and especially like that I don't have a garage full of take-offs that I never seem to have time to sell but are too valuable to give away. I also think saving on labor and shipping costs are a great idea.

Old 02-28-2011 | 06:28 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Why not put bigger motors on the bikes and more accessories and not try to make you buy every individual piece or offer small packages.
HD has the smallest motors out there.
Take the EPA crap off the bike. Git CAlifornia standard out of the rest of the U.S.
Pass a law to keep the standard of California in that state only.
And you sit back and wonder why Calif is in such deep finicial blunder.

Old 02-28-2011 | 06:40 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

Originally Posted by cardboard
Why not put bigger motors on the bikes and more accessories and not try to make you buy every individual piece or offer small packages.
HD has the smallest motors out there.
Take the EPA crap off the bike. Git CAlifornia standard out of the rest of the U.S.
Pass a law to keep the standard of California in that state only.
And you sit back and wonder why Calif is in such deep finicial blunder.
Could it be the millions of illegal immigrants living off the state? Oppps. Sorry, wrong thread.

Quick Reply: H-D1 Factory customization... the future?