General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D1 Factory customization... the future?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011 | 08:07 AM
SUPRPIG
|
Road Master
Default H-D1 Factory customization... the future?

So now they are testing the waters with a factory ordered bike with build options for the Sportster only. IMO they missed the mark with the Sportster. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US I would bet most Sportster buyers do not order their bike but buy what is available. Had they done this with other models I would have bought in and saved the labor costs when I bought. I do want them to expand this to the other models. Would love to buy that Fat Bob in my future with an engine upgrade. Your thoughts?

Possible options:
Would like to see HD expand program to other models
Would order a bike with factory options in the near future
Don't buy New and won't
Could care less

Old 02-26-2011 | 08:28 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default +1

IMO - They are doing it backwards. Should be offering custom builds from the top of the line (touring) on down. Their CVO offers some nice bikes but I have heard WAY TO OFTEN that they are a waited for, highly anticipated dissapointment! Seems to me that anyone looking, and waiting, for a release of a CVO would more than gladly spend the extra, extra, bucks and order a custom 1 off.

Old 02-26-2011 | 08:30 AM
taz ride
Road Master

Could care less...

Old 02-26-2011 | 08:38 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the program in theory, but I would use it to order a bike with absolutely NOTHING not necessary on the bike and the cheapest paint job, regardless of color. That way I only have to carry a loan on the basics, and I can pay cash little by little for other stuff I want, or will need to replace after the day to day stuff that happens when you ride a lot.

In other words, I would rather not pay interest on accessories or anything not absolutely necessary to ride for the life of a loan.

I bought my first new car this way too.

Old 02-26-2011 | 09:03 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I like the program in theory, but I would use it to order a bike with absolutely NOTHING not necessary on the bike and the cheapest paint job, regardless of color. That way I only have to carry a loan on the basics, and I can pay cash little by little for other stuff I want, or will need to replace after the day to day stuff that happens when you ride a lot.

In other words, I would rather not pay interest on accessories or anything not absolutely necessary to ride for the life of a loan.

I bought my first new car this way too.
If you can afford to carry a note and add extras for cash, why not save up and pay cash for cars and bikes? That is what I do, I never pay interest on anything that drop in value. Except my house.

Old 02-26-2011 | 09:26 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

If you can afford to carry a note and add extras for cash, why not save up and pay cash for cars and bikes? That is what I do, I never pay interest on anything that drop in value. Except my house.
I can't afford to pay cash (well, that's debatable, but I digress), but I was able to pay off my 5 year note on my bike in 1 year partly because I didn't add any extras.

At this point, I'm not planning on buying another bike for 3 years, at which point I will hopefully be able to pay MOSTLY cash (I put 50% down on my first bike) and without any extras, I will again pay the whole not off in 2 1/2 years or less. Then I an upgrade worn or damaged parts, or upgrade stuff for fun if I want, with cash when it is saved.

It just seems foolish to me to pay interest on extras, when that money would be wiser spent on paying the note off early, then saving and paying cash for extras.

The simple math is that a set of pipes that cost 700 bucks costs ONLY 700 bucks when you buy them with cash. when you add them to a 5 year note, they end up costing a lot more than 700 bucks.

But I can see how the fun and excitement and convenience of just ordering a bike all custom from the factory would be appealing, for sure.

Old 02-26-2011 | 09:40 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

You already have one of these threads going. I'm going to lock this one.