General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Afghanistan, Need a Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Flipper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought one in Okinawa through ENCS. Originally ordered a 2008 Fatboy that eventually morphed to a 2010 Road King Classic (ended up staying longer in Japan). Originally ordered it to be picked up in Virginia had to change it to Arizona when I PCS'd twice in 5 months upon return to CONUS. You'll pay State sales tax for wherever you register it. Generally you'll save 10% off MSRP. Most dealers in military towns are used to taking ENCS deliveries (Bobby's Territorial in Yuma was great to me). Pay your deposit on your Fatboy and they are very flexible if you want to change models and years. Less flexible if you want to back out of the contract, but that is normal for any salesman who works on commission. Stay safe over there.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Default You can get a good deal...

I bought a 2006 Softail Deluxe in 2007 while stationed in Belgium (yeah, tough duty, but someone needed to do it.) Anyways, it was "leftover" from the previous year and Harley just went to the 96"/6 Speed combo on all its big twins. So, mine was seen as less than desirable, I guess. Anyway, since the ENCS doesn't have showrooms with the actual stock, they just look through a database and some stuff slips through the cracks. My point is: HAGGLE, HAGGLE, HAGGLE. Mine started at nearly 17K. When it was all said and done, I paid 14K even out the door. I picked it up in Germany, where the same bike sat on the (German) showroom floor for exactly double what I paid. I came back to the States in 2010 and paid no taxes (SC.) Good luck, stay safe and thanks for your service!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 AM
notnutts
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Kandahar dealership is open again:
http://www.encs.com/community.aspx?id=2136

Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 PM
TRoper
6th Gear

Hi, wanted to let you know the one in Kandahar is alive and well. I am sitting in KAF as I write this. Talked to the sales rep, at the PX, yesterday. He gave me the same sales pitch as in the US but said I could probably save about 15%, depending on what I ordered. He also said there would be no taxes and the bike would be delivered to any dealership and that no dealer prep costs, they could not be added. All included.
I do recommend you doing some research on what you want and the price you can get it for stateside. My inquiry was for an Tri Glide and I didn't see that much savings over what I was quoted in Montrose, CO. Don't know how much tax I could save.

Be safe
Steve

Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon5
I did this. 15 months in the suck and then paid cash for my Superglide. Good deals with AAFES. they usually have great deals on last years models if you are willing to take delivery quick. Shouldn't be a problem if you are paying cash and are stationed stateside. You will have to pay taxes on the bike wherever you decide to register it stateside. Florida was 6%. Your state may vary. Still a good deal though.

I say go for it.
I was thinking that any military type of discount would apply where ever you are stationed.

But don't let that stop you from pulling the trigger on a Harley purchase! LOL Just don't buy it too soon, where it'll depreciate before you even ride it.

Worry about protecting yourself while out there. Even a Harley is secondary to that. My nephew will be heading out there this summer for his third tour. 10th mountain division (I think?).

Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRoper
Hi, wanted to let you know the one in Kandahar is alive and well. I am sitting in KAF as I write this. Talked to the sales rep, at the PX, yesterday. He gave me the same sales pitch as in the US but said I could probably save about 15%, depending on what I ordered. He also said there would be no taxes and the bike would be delivered to any dealership and that no dealer prep costs, they could not be added. All included.
I do recommend you doing some research on what you want and the price you can get it for stateside. My inquiry was for an Tri Glide and I didn't see that much savings over what I was quoted in Montrose, CO. Don't know how much tax I could save.

Be safe
Steve
No sales tax? I didn't think the feds had control of state tax like that.
Not sayin' they don't, just surprised to hear it.
Does this apply to every state, or just your particular home state?

This would be a good savings using Indiana or Illinois state tax percentages, added to the savings of the dealer prep crap.
Indiana is 7% and Illinois is higher, at least in cook county.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Dragon5
Tourer

There is no sales tax when you buy the bike, but wherever you register/title it, you will have to pay that state's tax. Some of you lucky ones don't have to pay anything. I PCSed to Florida and got stuck with 6%.

Ed Just Ed...how did you get stationed in Belgium, and how CAN I get there?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dragon5
There is no sales tax when you buy the bike, but wherever you register/title it, you will have to pay that state's tax. Some of you lucky ones don't have to pay anything. I PCSed to Florida and got stuck with 6%.

Ed Just Ed...how did you get stationed in Belgium, and how CAN I get there?
It's the best-kept secret in the US Military: SHAPE (Super Holiday At Public Expense). Ok, really it stands for Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe. It is a NATO headquarters. I was lucky to get to bounce around there, then Brussels and then the Netherlands. You really should ask whomever it is that doles out your assignments. It's one of those best-jobs-you-never-heard-of sort of things.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Vins
Club Member

Bought mine thru AAFES when I was passing thru the Deid. Far as I know, just about everybody passes thru the Deid. Order it while you're there. If the 12s aren't out, you can always change the order when they are. I initially ordered an '07 and swapped for an '08 later. Also at Arifjan and Ali Al Saleem. And, yes, you'll save a couple thousand and, no, you shouldn't have to pay any tax. It's an AAFES purchase. You'll have to pay your states registration fees. If your dealer tries to tell you different, they don't know what they are talking about.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Vins
Club Member

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I was thinking that any military type of discount would apply where ever you are stationed.

But don't let that stop you from pulling the trigger on a Harley purchase! LOL Just don't buy it too soon, where it'll depreciate before you even ride it.

Worry about protecting yourself while out there. Even a Harley is secondary to that. My nephew will be heading out there this summer for his third tour. 10th mountain division (I think?).
A Harley depreciate...really? You'll be able to schedule your pickup when YOU are ready and it'll be brand new. Easy.
New car sales can only sell to military persons serving or stationed overseas. Part of their agreement with the big 3 and HD. And they only sell American. Hmmm...why no Victorys? You are also able to buy one within so many days of your return (somewhere between 30-90; can't remember). A great deal. Talk to your dealer and see if they'll match the price or, at the least come close. Mine does military sales.

Quick Reply: Going to Afghanistan, Need a Harley!