General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone haul their HD in a pick-up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,608 Likes on 3,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Booey420
I wonder what the weight limit is on that lift?
I wouldn't be as concerned about the limit of the lift as much as I'd be concerned about all the weight hanging that far back from the axle.

As far as toy-haulers go, I wouldn't see it as giving up 8' of living space, because once the bikes are unloaded you've got an extra 8' of living space. The problem I have with toy haulers is how much extra you have to pay for 8 feet of nothing just because it's a "toy hauler".

Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

You mioght want to look at toy trax type loader for p/u truck. It will allow you to carry bike with no effort and pull rv behind. If interested, i have a brand new toy trax on this forum for sale at $1650, im in pa.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,686 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by Curlybill
You ride the bike, wife drive the RV. It will be the best vacation you can have.
Not just funny but TRUE!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:25 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
I wouldn't be as concerned about the limit of the lift as much as I'd be concerned about all the weight hanging that far back from the axle.

As far as toy-haulers go, I wouldn't see it as giving up 8' of living space, because once the bikes are unloaded you've got an extra 8' of living space. The problem I have with toy haulers is how much extra you have to pay for 8 feet of nothing just because it's a "toy hauler".
There are some great deals out there with the economy being in the crapper about now.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Default I have done this many times...no issue

Originally Posted by Rick-e
The wifey wants us to get an RV and do some traveling around the country. Aside from a toy hauler RV where you give up 8 feet of living space, what are the options? I've already told her that If I can't bring the scoot, it's a deal breaker. I've thought about a trailer RV with a pick-up tow vehicle.
but given the height of the pick-up bed it seems like loading anything bigger than a dirt bike would be a challenge.
All I use is a piece of 3/4 plywood. Find a little place where you can have the truck bed a little low to take the steep angle out and drive her on. I have done this many times and I own an Heritage Classic. Make sure the plywood does not kick out...good to go honest.

Cameron

Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff
how about one of these with an enclosed trailer in tow.

+1

Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Rick-e
Road Master

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
We bought a 31' Weekend Warrior last Spring. The cargo area holds 2 bikes, side-by-side, but you have to fold up the 2 bench seats and stow the table. It's a pain if you want to use the table for lunch while on the move. But, if you have just one bike, it takes up only as much room as the width of your bike. You can put the bike sideways and use the rear tie-downs, still leave the bench seats & tables down, and you also have the bike inside at nights. Takes 5 minutes to load and secure.
Need any other info?
That sounds like what I'm looking for thanks. I was just looking at some Forest River toy haulers on line. My mistake was thinking that yyou "lost" the garage area and it wasn't usable living space. I'm starting to feel better about the whole deal now.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres an option that my wife and I thought might be something to think about. Pop Up Camper/Toy Hauler.Several companys make these.You can pull it with your 1/2 ton pickup,load your bike on either end depending on the model.This way,you've got a camper,your bike and your truck.I looked at alot of these models from fairly plain to pretty freekin nice.Do a Google but here's a place to start. www.thegreatoutdoorsrv.com/Rockwood/282TXR.htm
Starcraft makes em and so does a few other companys. Definately food for thought!
www.thegreatoutdoorsrv.com/Rockwood/282TXR.htm

Jayco Baja PopUP campers.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this too.......
http://www.toyhaulerfinds.com/popup-...ulers-for-sale

Also ,Ebay # 180624567515

Last edited by #1rocketman; 02-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Pretty cool with the pop-up

Quick Reply: Anyone haul their HD in a pick-up?