General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to give a Half Helmet a try this season.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Decided to give a Half Helmet a try this season.

I have been riding without a helmet a few times this warm spell. It was a nice change from the Shoei FF RF-1000. I really like the Shoei. I also like riding without a helmet, but I feel a little naked when I do.

Talking to my wife about it, and today she brought me home a DOT HH. It is a cheaper helmet. A Fuel. I think she bought it while shopping for groceries or house hold goods as an impulse buy for me.
It was $40.00. It fits good, and isn't as mushroom looking as the HD helmets. I have some cool stickers I might put on it, or my buddy has an air brush kit that I might borrow to put some flames on it or something.

Sorry for the long post. I know the helmet is not the best, but I am going to give it a shot. Might not like it. I will not know until I try.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a nice cheapie DOT half helmet I've worn for about 5 years now, plus a full face modular I wear in colder weather. I like each of them in different ways for what they do.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My skid lid is a halfer too & I like it. Better peripheral vision, Better hearing & if I go flying into the rhubarb, my head is protected!
Hatch.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,052 Likes on 698 Posts

I wear a halfy too and like Hatchetman says if you go flyin' out through the pole beans the ol' noggin is protected.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to use the half helmet as I live a "helmet required" state, and I prefer a half helmet over a full face or 3/4 just for it's better visibility and hearing.

I kept my girlfriend protected with her preference of a full-face helmet when she's a passenger. Trying to talk while riding was near impossible even when she flipped her shield up. I bought her a nice looking half helmet and we could easily talk while riding. Now we both ride with half helmets during warm and short rides and I let her choose when she feels the need for the full face helmet. I bought a transformer style helmet and use it in the colder weather or when I'll be doing some mostly highway trips and want the extra face shielding. I also use a windshield most of the time. Big birds and chunks of rock coming at me at 70 MPH make sunglasses a poor shield for my face and eyes. Yeah, I've bounced a few pheasants off my windshield!

It might not be "cool" but it's smart to protect yourself as much as you can.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:27 AM
w3ng1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a half helmet that I wear sometimes, but I don't like the wind noise. So I use ear plugs.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Z06John
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife aand I are going to give the half helmets a shot this year. We just bought two of the leather up outlaw 3000's. There also most as small as my novilty helment. Should be interesting as I have always rode non-helmet for 20+ yrs.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Goodnight77
Cruiser

I picked up a pretty cool harley half at a good price and wore it last weekend for a little while. I liked the feeling, the look... I have just ridden so long without one that it's gonna take some getting used to..

Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Johnny11
6th Gear

I have the Daytona Hawk half helmet and love it. I agree about the wind noise though, especially after riding with a full face helmet for a number of years. Ear plugs seem to help.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Fuel helmets are sold at Wal-Mart. Surprised the hell out of me when I was looking for something in the automotive aisle and spotted motorcycle helmets. It's not a bad looking lid.

Quick Reply: Decided to give a Half Helmet a try this season.